Thai Workers Are A Joke

I have had a couple of workers come to the house and do very good work. The builder though, he was a total waste. I had to re paint the whole house less than a year later. Cracks in the walls from shifting, the water pump for the well died in the same year. One electrical outlet in the kitchen was built into the wall, meaning I can't replace it without cutting the outside edges away, unlike back in the US where you can replace an outlet in a matter of minutes just by removing the face plate, then the outlet wires. When you touch the microwave or toaster, you get a small shock (ground problem). Two of the  doors from settling won't completely close. The ceiling molding has fallen in three rooms, so I had to replace them. The sheet rock fell in 6 places, needing replacement of wood instead. Moisture from the air. The bathroom toilets stopped working and leaked, replaced. The pipe from the kitchen sink ran through the wall, then turned outside, and got clogged where a snake didn't work. Had to have a man come out and re position the pipe straight to the outside. The windows, sliding, had bugs go under the window and get in, so I put screens in, and they still got under, so I had to, for now, use clear tape to seal the sides and bottoms. If this happened back home, he wouldn't get another job. Here, it's mai pen rai, but not to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

This is Homepro.... Wouldn't you think the biggest company in Thailand that covers this industry would have done that work already?.. Meaning they vet the workers they send to install their goods.

had 2 doors installed by one of their installers, it took the guy 9 hours to install 2 doors, and they still not working properly, trying to make them fit he cut off/chiseled the frame damaging it and still walk away without completing the job, the frame has been there for quite some time and had doors on it that worked fine but were quite odd looking thus the reason to change, went to Home Pro and ????..... amazing thailand

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I have had a couple of workers come to the house and do very good work. The builder though, he was a total waste. I had to re paint the whole house less than a year later. Cracks in the walls from shifting, the water pump for the well died in the same year. One electrical outlet in the kitchen was built into the wall, meaning I can't replace it without cutting the outside edges away, unlike back in the US where you can replace an outlet in a matter of minutes just by remov ing the face plate, then the outlet wires. When you touch the microwave or toaster, you get a small shock (ground problem). Two of the  doors from settling won't completely close. The ceiling molding has fallen in three rooms, so I had to replace them. The sheet rock fell in 6 places, needing replacement of wood instead. Moisture from the air. The bathroom toilets stopped working and leaked, replaced. The pipe from the kitchen sink ran through the wall, then turned outside, and got clogged where a snake didn't work. Had to have a man come out and re position the pipe straight to the outside. The windows, sliding, had bugs go under the window and get in, so I put screens in, and they still got under, so I had to, for now, use clear tape to seal the sides and bottoms. If this happened back home, he wouldn't get another job. Here, it's mai pen rai, but not to me.

Did you ever get your hands dirty when observing shortcomings of workers  or bend your back at all? Oh ! Never there to observe ? If you were a Thai  you would be there like a hawk or working with !

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

The wife and I recently had a new kitchen installed by contractors working for a large home improvement store that wasn't HomePro.  We had bought an induction cooktop and the workers refused to install it according to the manufacturer's recommendations.  Even after printing out the installation manual in Thai and showing it to them they insisted on installing it their way.  The manual called for placing the cooktop glass directly on the countertop.  They insisted that the glass wasn't strong enough and that the metal subframe that covered the electronics should carry the weight. I even showed the workers pictures of installed cooktops in showrooms and from the interwebs but they wouldn't budge.  I had to get their supervisor on site in order to have them (grudgingly) install it correctly.  Even the supervisor warned us about putting anything too heavy on the cooktop.  He evidently doesn't know that glass is often stronger than steel.  

What I learned from all this is that for Thai workers "the easy way is the correct way"

That does not sound/read  true !  How would it be possible to install a glass cooktop on the top of a counter ?  Do you suggest the plan was to  create a cutout of the counter in a way to support the  glass ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

Did you ever get your hands dirty when observing shortcomings of workers  or bend your back at all? Oh ! Never there to observe ? If you were a Thai  you would be there like a hawk or working with !

I wasn't here all of the time, and most of it came to be afterwards. Shoddy workmanship is rampant here, as I've heard from many, and now many more.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1