Riding Trains to cure the boredom.

bob smith

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

Day 5 of no booze.

Today I will be riding trains to anywhere and everywhere to cure my alcohol withdrawal boredom. 

Today is the first day that i've felt like i want to get out of bed.

I may even go to watch a movie and eat popcorn. 

I also fancy a steak.. 

happy friday everyone.

Goof for you.

After 2 weeks you'll find it easier.  After a few months you'll realize that it was one of the best things you chose to do.

Seeing other drunks and raging alcoholics will enforce that smart choice to abstain.

Losing weight and saving loads of money is an added benefit!

Good luck. 

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

Day 5 of no booze.

Today I will be riding trains to anywhere and everywhere to cure my alcohol withdrawal boredom. 

Today is the first day that i've felt like i want to get out of bed.

I may even go to watch a movie and eat popcorn. 

I also fancy a steak.. 

happy friday everyone.

Congrats and a happy Friday to you.

A couple of hours before dusk, I'd head over to Lumpini and rent a canoe to paddle around, using a litter picker to pick up trash off the water.  Not so much for picking litter as to make paddling more interesting and hone my paddling skills. 

After an hour or so, I'd paddle back to the dock and give one of the recycling ladies the trash I picked up, for them to sell.  Then buy a water and find a nice bench with a good view of the joggers going by.

Used to do the same at the park by Queen Sirikit Convention Center, but that doesn't seem to have come back after the construction shutdown.

In either location, a constructive way to spend an evening and I met a lot of nice people... 

One of the keys to staying sober (and being happy about it) is to expand your network of friends who don't live to drink.  Not necessarily tea-totalers, but people who have a life outside the bars.  And nothing vested in sucking you back in.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

A couple of hours before dusk, I'd head over to Lumpini and rent a canoe to paddle around, using a litter picker to pick up trash off the water.  Not so much for picking litter as to make paddling more interesting and hone my paddling skills. 

After an hour or so, I'd paddle back to the dock and give one of the recycling ladies the trash I picked up, for them to sell.  Then buy a water and find a nice bench with a good view of the joggers going by.

Used to do the same at the park by Queen Sirikit Convention Center, but that doesn't seem to have come back after the construction shutdown.

In either location, a constructive way to spend an evening and I met a lot of nice people... 

One of the keys to staying sober (and being happy about it) is to expand your network of friends who don't live to drink.  Not necessarily tea-totalers, but people who have a life outside the bars.  And nothing vested in sucking you back in.

Whilst I admire you for what you have done, why did you do it in the first place?

your average Thai wouldn’t dream of doing anything like that. It’s not your job to go around cleaning up after the locals.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

Whilst I admire you for what you have done, why did you do it in the first place?

your average Thai wouldn’t dream of doing anything like that. It’s not your job to go around cleaning up after the locals.

I didn't do it for the locals.  I enjoy kayaking and especially kayak fishing.  Also needed no-impact upper body exercise after my heart surgery.  Best thing I could find close to home was renting canoes at Lumpini and QSNCC parks.  No fishing allowed in either.  But paddling around gets monotonous, so I looked for a way to make it more challenging.  Best I could come up with was chasing down litter. 

Some of the recycling ladies actually got upset with me until they figured out I wasn't muscling into their turf, by giving it away when I landed at the dock.

My rule was I didn't pick up bottles already on the shore, and I only picked up man made crap.  No fronds, or other natural trash.

BTW, no canoes or kayaks for rent last few times I went to QSNCC, and Lumpini now rents kayaks in addition to those goofy amusement park canoes and duck looking paddle boats.

• Thumbs Up 1