Anybody doing casual work in home country a few months a year?

sidjameson

Just a thought. Thinking of going back to the UK for theworst three months of the burning season. Don't have any skills left. Anybody have any ideas on casual work that's easy to pick up?

I might hate it but 2 or 3 months work might help me enjoy my relaxing life in Thailand more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Just a thought. Thinking of going back to the UK for theworst three months of the burning season. Don't have any skills left. Anybody have any ideas on casual work that's easy to pick up?

I might hate it but 2 or 3 months work might help me enjoy my relaxing life in Thailand more. 

That depend on many factors, 

are you fit and strong? general labourer,  

do you own a car, Uber  

Shelf stacking at Asda or the like.

will you pay tax?

Are you on a state pension. 

• Like 1

Bus driver ....Get your bus licence ,I imagine bus drivers are in demand...think overtime , weekend penalty rates , do you get double time there in the UK on Sundays??

Security guard ...need a licence ,a week training to get one ,casual work and I think a lot of casual work around 

Uber ...you will need a car though 

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

I am back in my home country for years now I do voluntary work at a Salvation store for a few hours a week no pay at all, but I can live on my pension 

I notice at my local Salvo store in Sydney Australia they seem to be people doing " prison sentence community work " 

I overheard a old guy packing the shelves say to the woman behind the counter he had 8 hours left of his community sentence .

Edited by georgegeorgia

13 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You can register and apply for ASDA jobs online from Thailand , no need to be in the UK when applying 

My daughter works at one, all staff are 'Colleagues' ????

They seem to be a good company to work for, they granted her extended leave 1 month to come and see me.

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

I am back in my home country for years now I do voluntary work at a Salvation store for a few hours a week no pay at all, but I can live on my pension 

Don't know about other countries, but in New Zealand the Salvation Army and Red Cross charity shops are accredited supervisors for court-ordered community work.

15 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Nope. I just think few months in UK would reset my pleasure principle each year.

Flipping burgers will reset your pleasure principal when you return to Thailand, but how do you enjoy being in the Uk flipping burgers?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Or just go to south. No burning issues there. Sichon or Chumphon or hua hin.

• Confused 1

Aged care is crying out for workers, mainly peple to visit the elderly at home and take them shopping etc. But I imagine you need to go through police checks/accreditation before you can work. You might be able to register and do everything necessary online while still in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Yes, good idea for a ‘reset’ as well as to earn good coin. Doubly good if you’ve got accommodation sorted.
Tax wise, you’ll unlikely hit the threshold of £12,750 (think it is) if they don’t give you the right code, so can claim back next tax year. Real easy through HMRC app. 

• Thanks 1