Does anything really matter?

bob smith

On 9/24/2023 at 12:23 PM, BritManToo said:

My great grandparents were born in the 1850s ....... not much chance of me remembering them.

My parents were born in 1910 and 1914, they've been gone a while.

But I have photos.

As for anything mattering, you're right nothing really matters.

On the subject of past family, My maternal aunt had albums full of old photos from the Victorian era of past family members. They were obviously at least upper middle class, but as my aunt hadn't written under the photos to say who they were I have no way of knowing anything about them, even their names.

My father never told me anything about his family and we didn't live in the same country to ask anyone else. I don't even have photos of them as the photos got thrown away.

My mother told me a bit, but not much.

Barely remember the grandparents.

The only family member that did anything memorable was a great uncle that won a medal in WW1. I tried to find out more about him, but a lot of the military records were lost when the place they were stored at was bombed in WW2, including his.

I sometimes regret that I have no family history, but not often. I guess it doesn't matter much.

• Thanks 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not about an interesting or not life. It's about if it matters once you are gone.

My life was very interesting, but it doesn't matter. No one asks me for my life story.

Well, what are you waiting for?

We matter whilst we are here to our family and to our loved ones.

however, once brain death has been established it’s as though we never even existed, at least to us.

as we have no way of communicating with the only people who remember us (our kids) then did it all really happen?

Come on, Bob. You're one of 8 billion humans on a planet around one of a trillion stars in a galaxy of 200 billion other galaxies. How much more important do you want to be than that? Your 10^27 or so atoms are defying entropy, but eventually will go back to stardust. Pretty cool.

Actually, you and other humans on this obscure planet exist to be carriers for the trillions of bacteria that live in all of our guts.

Now THAT's important. To bacteria, you absolutely matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, 2baht said:

Bob, you can't escape everyone, you have to be somewhat flexible! The older you get, the more you value life! Hang in there, don't despair! :thumbsup:

'Nothing really matters' is not necessarily a realization that causes despair. I find it very freeing.

Although I would rephrase it. I'd say we make our own meaning in life. In the end, it doesn't matter, but it feels like it does. 

On 9/23/2023 at 1:31 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Ive found that ever since hitting the ignore button on Bob and Big Nok im much happier....

Clearly, your ignore button doesn't work very well if you are  here telling us about ignoring poor old Bob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It doesn't. We only think it does because we think about ourselves as mattering.

100 years from now most of us will be entirely forgotten.

After enough time even the universe will be dead.

Precisely.  Which is why all this "mattering" (wittering?)  about "climate catastrophe" doesn't matter one whit.

• Sad 1

When I was in  my 20s I used to argue about anything and everything, especially politics. 

At my present (advanced) age, I would say that only about 10% of things in life are ever worth arguing about.  Makes for a much more peaceful life.

For example, does it really matter who wins the next American presidential election when we consider the fiction we all pretend to believe in, that one man (woman?) alone can actually govern 350 million people?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.” John Stuart Mill 1867
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

When I was in  my 20s I used to argue about anything and everything, especially politics. 

At my present (advanced) age, I would say that only about 10% of things in life are ever worth arguing about.  Makes for a much more peaceful life.

For example, does it really matter who wins the next American presidential election when we consider the fiction we all pretend to believe in, that one man (woman?) alone can actually govern 350 million people?

Correct. Its all a waste of time. I just focus on gf and holidays. All the rest is bs.

Nope...doesn't matter. Existential nihilist most of my adult life. There is no meaning or purpose to our lives other than what we give them and/or make of them. And many people around the globe never even get that luxury. The universe and nature are dangerous and don't a whit about humans...or any life forms. Or any nonlife forms. There's no good reason or shred of evidence to think there's any god(s) or afterlife. This is it. Make of it what you can. Enjoy it...if so fortunate. Though not at the expense, harm, exploitation or suffering of others...including our fellow nonhuman animal earthlings. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1