Thai health minister backs cannabis ban, citing surge in teen usage

webfact

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Try a google search "Cannabis Adolescent Brain", it lowers IQ permanently.

So ... may be I am stupid , but , at least , I am happy .

Btw ... you cannot buy intelligence . That's a pity ... but anyway , you would probably not have enough,money ... ?

3 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

So ... may be I am stupid , but , at least , I am happy .

Btw ... you cannot buy intelligence . That's a pity ... but anyway , you would probably not have enough,money ... ?

Money doesn't buy happiness either, but at least you can be miserable in luxury.

If money can't buy intelligence, does that mean you can be stupid in ignorance?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Legislators to Renew Push to Tighten Cannabis Usage
by Paul Rujopakarn

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Parliament will renew a push for an overarching law on cannabis use for medical and research purposes, more than a year after the herb was legalized.

Last year, Thailand became the first country in Southeast Asia to decriminalize cannabis, but in the absence of specific measures, the government needed to issue rules to prevent its unchecked use, particularly among children.

The new law will target an industry projected to be worth up to US$1.2 billion over the next few years, with cannabis shops having sprung up across the capital Bangkok and tourist hot spots, such as the resort island of Phuket.

Saritpong Kiewkong of the Bhumjaithai party, which spearheaded the decriminalization and is now the second largest component of Thailand’s 11-party coalition government, said: "Cannabis will be - double underline - for medical purposes and research."

The lawmaker told reporters in parliament that there is "no policy for recreational use," adding that such measures were not yet being considered.

The draft law, which consolidates measures against public use that the government now relies on to rein in misbehavior, is expected to take a year to finalize and pass.

It covers permits for growing plants, sales and distribution, and tighter measures against sales in temples, schools and amusement parks.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin previously said he supported only medical, and not recreational, use of cannabis.

SourceNNT 2023-09-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Going to be a lot of upset Thai and indians in the NAN area. LOL

• Like 1

Just now, SoilSpoil said:

Kids can buy 100 grams of Cannabis (Sativa) for 700 baht. Edibles with 100mg THC, which is way too strong, can be bought for 60 baht. Cannabis is cheap as chips in Thailand.

700bht = 2 days work for a drop out junkie......????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Everything back to how it was before ... another Thai U-turn .

Sad to see , nothing changed , even the general election only resulted in the same old dinosaurs still sitting on their asses in still the same chairs as before ... no move foreward , only backwards ...

As Trump said  : "They stole the election " .That clearly is the case in Thailand as well .

They will destroy a lot of small businesses , leave more thai people deeply in dept as before , and do nothing good for the economy at all .

... and is strongly opposed by the public ... = prove that !

Whats happening now is only a discussion, when they sit down and look at the numbers, the small businesses that contracted debt and will go bust, the big investors that supply high quality cannabis to this market, either by producing it locally or by importing. The stakes are just too high for a sudden reversal at this point. What I can see is more and more regulations will be implemented, as to whom is of legal age to buy and smoke, how to behave in public, so kids don't get the impression that pot is trivial. Whoever chooses to get high will continue to be able to, there will be more regulations only. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Reversals of policy happen all over the world when a new government takes over. Often, that is why the new government is elected by the people, as they want a new direction. Not that that applies to Thailand of course, a country which has the government it is given and not the one people voted for.

If you are referring to MFP as what people voted for (which strictly speaking is not correct), then please note that Mr Pita made the reversal on cannabis one of his announced policies.

5 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Whats happening now is only a discussion, when they sit down and look at the numbers, the small businesses that contracted debt and will go bust, the big investors that supply high quality cannabis to this market, either by producing it locally or by importing. The stakes are just too high for a sudden reversal at this point. What I can see is more and more regulations will be implemented, as to whom is of legal age to buy and smoke, how to behave in public, so kids don't get the impression that pot is trivial. Whoever chooses to get high will continue to be able to, there will be more regulations only. 

Your right, they will never give up the POT, of gold, the sad thing is children are going to be seriously harmed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:06 PM, johnnybangkok said:

No Thai (teens included) or 'people in the know' are paying that kind of money. Those are tourist prices. You can go online with someone like Prikpot (big advertiser on this site) and get a gram for as little as 150 THB (when you buy 10). 

It also doesn't ask for proof of age so if you are serious about not selling to teens (a very good idea) then you need to start here. This is why you cannot buy alcohol online any more as tech savvy kids were getting their beers & spirits delivered. It'll be the same for weed.

Oh. The Thai teens are all using prikpot and you know this?  The 150 baht per gram is good stuff?  I've heard quite different. Then they have it delivered to their house?  Ok sounds like that happens almost NEVER!  These would be the SAME teens who could buy regular Thai weed anytime in their life but now use Prikpot? Hmmm I beg to differ. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Oh. The Thai teens are all using prikpot and you know this?  The 150 baht per gram is good stuff?  I've heard quite different. Then they have it delivered to their house?  Ok sounds like that happens almost NEVER!  These would be the SAME teens who could buy regular Thai weed anytime in their life but now use Prikpot? Hmmm I beg to differ. 

The point (which seems to have completely eluded you) was that the original poster was talking about 700thb per gramme and all I was demonstrating was it's a LOT cheaper online. I would also add that kids aren't probably buying online (you need a credit/debit card/bank transfer which is usually beyond your average 15 year old) but that with VERY lax screening, it remains a viable option. That was the point. Nothing else.

P.S. Having actually sampled the 150 thb per gramme available on Prikpot (unlike yourself), it's pretty good. Not my favourite but you get what you pay for.

9 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Read your post. You said " Thai teens included". 
They are not " included" in almost any prikpot sales for reasons you even mentioned.  The 150 baht a gram stuff is not good. I have tried as many others. Thai teens could get Thai weed cheap years ago and now. There is not this HUGE FAKE increase anywhere. It's rare to even see a Thai in any dispensary as well. This is like the same hype these soccer moms in Boston's suburbs were spewing about before Massachusetts made recreational weed legal. Now all these rich towns have dispensaries and the towns themselves get all kinds of tax dollars and incentives like expanded school programs, police cars , snow plows , money to help people addicted to opioids etc and they all LOVE it now. I see them shopping at the dispensaries too lol.  Most of Thailands politicians want to keep a blind eye out about Yabba/ methamphetamines / E / other opioids that have ruined families and try to target pot only which ruins no families.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

The point (which seems to have completely eluded you) was that the original poster was talking about 700thb per gramme and all I was demonstrating was it's a LOT cheaper online. I would also add that kids aren't probably buying online (you need a credit/debit card/bank transfer which is usually beyond your average 15 year old) but that with VERY lax screening, it remains a viable option. That was the point. Nothing else.

P.S. Having actually sampled the 150 thb per gramme available on Prikpot (unlike yourself), it's pretty good. Not my favourite but you get what you pay for.

I mentioned 700-1000 baht per gram. 
read your own post you said "Thai teens included" they are NOT using prikpot or any dispensary most likely.  The same crap Thai weed they smoked 10 years ago they are smoking now and there's no increase. Just HYPE from uneducated politicians!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I mentioned 700-1000 baht per gram. 
read your own post you said "Thai teens included" they are NOT using prikpot or any dispensary most likely.  The same crap Thai weed they smoked 10 years ago they are smoking now and there's no increase. Just HYPE from uneducated politicians!

Don’t disagree and perhaps “teens included” was the wrong phrase. I was however commenting mostly on tourist prices v online prices rather than where Thai teens get their weed. 

This is just more lip service from Doctors losing money because of cannabis health benefits. Anutin Charnvirakul Is still Deputy Prime Minister nothing will change. This is all just lip service to appease the idiots who oppose it for reasons they don’t even understand clearly themselves. Need more education about cannabis not opposition appeasing lip service like this obviously is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

LMAO looked deeper into this story it’s more disinformation once again on this forum. Literally none of this is happening they are quoting the opposition who doesn’t have the power to change anything it’s a Dr agreeing with one of several proposals, in this case the most extreme proposal which obviously isn’t going anywhere under this government. Especially with all the money involved now and an economy dependent on it. Additionally guess who’s STILL Deputy Prime Minister? That’s right Anutin Charnvirakul, so good luck changing anything backwards it ain’t gonna happen. ????