Phone useless after firmware update

BenStark

I updated my Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC to 14.0.2 a few weeks ago.

When I rebooted phone always got the message find your phone keeps stopping, didn't pay much attention to it.

Within a week I had a swollen battery.

Didn't think much of it, although phone only 25 months old, so got it replaced at the service centre.

Then I started to notice more issues, like third party apps not working properly any more, and then messages camera keeps stopping, NFC activated but didn't read anything. Battery drain started a week after the new battery replacement.

So back to the service centre, where I was told that they could fix it by rolling back the firmware, but that would involve PCB replacement at my cost because phone out of warranty

Yeah right, you send me an update that breaks my phone, and you expect me to pay for the fix?

When I now Google for it, it gives me lots of results with similar issues.

What are your thoughts, other than suggesting buying an iPhone? OCPB?

Edit: by the way, the service centre has made an official document, at my request, that has all the details of my phone, and mentions that the issues started after I updated to the latest firmware

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I updated my Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC to 14.0.2 a few weeks ago.

When I rebooted phone always got the message find your phone keeps stopping, didn't pay much attention to it.

Within a week I had a swollen battery.

Didn't think much of it, although phone only 25 months old, so got it replaced at the service centre.

Then I started to notice more issues, like third party apps not working properly any more, and then messages camera keeps stopping, NFC activated but didn't read anything. Battery drain started a week after the new battery replacement.

So back to the service centre, where I was told that they could fix it by rolling back the firmware, but that would involve PCB replacement at my cost because phone out of warranty

Yeah right, you send me an update that breaks my phone, and you expect me to pay for the fix?

When I now Google for it, it gives me lots of results with similar issues.

What are your thoughts, other than suggesting buying an iPhone? OCPB?

Edit: by the way, the service centre has made an official document, at my request, that has all the details of my phone, and mentions that the issues started after I updated to the latest firmware

did you update your phone using the phone internal update page i.e phone tells you there is a new update or did you go looking for an update

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

did you update your phone using the phone internal update page i.e phone tells you there is a new update or did you go looking for an update

I update through the official channel. About phone told me that update was available.

I was on version 12.x.x, so it updated to 13.x.x, then told me one more update was available

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

That's the one.

And it says, stable LOL

To be clear, I only do OTA update

If you have backup all your data and you have access to a laptop or computer you could look at the recovery option 

What’s the difference between Recovery ROM and OTA

The main difference is that an OTA update is not a firmware version but just an update. OTA only contains the necessary files for upgrading your MIUI. Recovery ROM is a full-fledged firmware.

The difference between OTA and Recovery ROM:

Recovery ROM does not arrive “by air”, the firmware can only be downloaded. The OTA can be downloaded or installed “over the air”.

Installation of the Recovery ROM is possible only via the stock recovery mode of the phone – Recovery Mode. It’s much easier to download and install OTA.

https://miuirom.org/updates/recovery-xiaomi

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

If you have backup all your data and you have access to a laptop or computer you could look at the recovery option 

What’s the difference between Recovery ROM and OTA

The main difference is that an OTA update is not a firmware version but just an update. OTA only contains the necessary files for upgrading your MIUI. Recovery ROM is a full-fledged firmware.

The difference between OTA and Recovery ROM:

Recovery ROM does not arrive “by air”, the firmware can only be downloaded. The OTA can be downloaded or installed “over the air”.

Installation of the Recovery ROM is possible only via the stock recovery mode of the phone – Recovery Mode. It’s much easier to download and install OTA.

https://miuirom.org/updates/recovery-xiaomi

I see what you are saying, but I recall that each of the updates was 2.+ GB, so it must have downloaded the recovery ROM

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I see what you are saying, but I recall that each of the updates was 2.+ GB, so it must have downloaded the recovery ROM

How to enter Recovery Mode

MIUI 11 allows you to enter Recovery mode from the system settings. To do this, launch the Settings app, go to “About phone” → “System update“, tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen and select “Reboot to Recovery mode“. Starting with MIUI 12, this menu is not available at the initiative of Xiaomi develope

As you can see, you don’t have to enter the Recovery Menu to install the Recovery ROM. However, if you want to reset your Xiaomi phone to factory settings or have entered the recovery menu by accident, read on.

How to unlock Xiaomi recovery mode:

1. Turn off your smartphone.
  2. Press the power and volume up buttons.
  3. Hold them down until the Android logo appears on the screen.
  4. After about 10 seconds, the Recovery menu will appear on the screen.
  5. https://miuirom.org/updates/recovery-xiaomi
  6. To work with the device in Recovery Mode, it is recommended to have at least 60% battery level. If the smartphone runs out of power during the update, all the data may be lost.
Edited by vinny41
add
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I'm not very eager to play around, and maybe cause more issues.

I want Xiaomi to take up their responsibility. When for example a car dealer put the wrong oil in a car, which makes it break down, then he is responsible for the repairs regardless of warranty status.

So what is the difference here?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

To be honest, I'm not very eager to play around, and maybe cause more issues.

I want Xiaomi to take up their responsibility. When for example a car dealer put the wrong oil in a car, which makes it break down, then he is responsible for the repairs regardless of warranty status.

So what is the difference here?

up to you but I can see Xiaomi saying millions of people have updated their firmware and have no issues so the problem may lie with either your settings or 3rd party software on your phone

I have a redmi phone and currently on android 13 and miui 14

It is strange that your were on miui 12 and it did 2 updates to miui 14 as miui 12 was release in 2020

Anyways good luck with your battle with Xiaomi

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It is strange that your were on miui 12 and it did 2 updates to miui 14 as miui 12 was release in 2020

It is because I've never been a proponent of firmware updates, because I see so many posts on forums that a firmware update messed up their device, and that is not only Xiaomi.

I also have auto updates and push notifications disabled by default, so I will only be reminded of I go look for it in the settings.

This time it caught my eye, and thought why not, not being aware that it were 2 updates, because the system doesn't say that.

Now when I Google issues MIUI firmware update, I get more than 2 million results in less than a second, so I doubt I'm the only one.

And if I change it to issues poco x3 firmware update, it are 4 million results.

Glad to hear your is working fine, but the third party app excuse will not float with me, and hopefully also not with a customer protection department that want to do their job

Edit to add: The Pattaya service centre told me that I'm not the first one, that is also why they knew how to fix it, but they don't have the authority to give the PCB for free.

The technician also showed me his phone, and told me he would never have a Xiaomi.

Edited by BenStark

44 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It is because I've never been a proponent of firmware updates, because I see so many posts on forums that a firmware update messed up their device, and that is not only Xiaomi.

I also have auto updates and push notifications disabled by default, so I will only be reminded of I go look for it in the settings.

This time it caught my eye, and thought why not, not being aware that it were 2 updates, because the system doesn't say that.

Now when I Google issues MIUI firmware update, I get more than 2 million results in less than a second, so I doubt I'm the only one.

And if I change it to issues poco x3 firmware update, it are 4 million results.

Glad to hear your is working fine, but the third party app excuse will not float with me, and hopefully also not with a customer protection department that want to do their job

the reason your seeing so many hits on MIUI firmware is that MIUI has been around since 2010 likewise poco x3 was released in 2020

I have the  auto updates enable as I want to receive the security updates that are sent on a quarterly basis until the phone reaches eol which unfortunately the Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC is now EOL

Goggle search comes back with nothing if you search xiaomi poco x3 nfc rollback firmware pcb replacement

you will find hits for poco x3 nfc charging issues where the pcb needs to be replaced due to no longer charging

Edited by vinny41
add

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

the reason your seeing so many hits on MIUI firmware is that MIUI has been around since 2010 likewise poco x3 was released in 2020

I have the  auto updates enable as I want to receive the security updates that are sent on a quarterly basis until the phone reaches eol which unfortunately the Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC is now EOL

I understand you like Xiaomi, and in fact I also liked the phone, since this is my second Xiaomi, until now.

The previous one was an A2 Lite, and I never updated it. Bought the Poco only because I needed NFC to open an overseas bank account.

I use my phone for basic functions, check messages, chats and make phone calls, so have just a few 3rd party apps installed, and for everything else I have a PC.

The reason I get so many hits is that there are so many issues, no excuse for that. And the technician telling me he will never own a Xiaomi, speaks volumes

I know it is EOL since this month, but I want Xiaomi to take up their responsibility, and I think I have a strong case with the document the SC wrote, where they admit that my issues are caused by the update.

Still wondering why the updates showed a file size of +2 GB, if they according to your link are not available OTA.

Switching off security updates is not a smart thing to do. You missed loads of updates and updates need to be done in a certain order to work properly. This will most likely disqualify you from free services by the supplier.

Try to copy your contact details and other important thing to your computer. then do a complete factory reset. When the phone work again copy your saved data back on your phone. Don't stop your updates anymore in the future.

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Goggle search comes back with nothing if you search xiaomi poco x3 nfc rollback firmware pcb replacement

you will find hits for poco x3 nfc charging issues where the pcb needs to be replaced due to no longer charging

You look like you know Xiaomi well. Do you think it's better to avoid their latest Redmi model when released? latest models seem to have teething trouble and they expect users to sort out issues using the Mi community app, I'm thinking say, don't buy 13 instead get 12 might avoid some issues

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You look like you know Xiaomi well. Do you think it's better to avoid their latest Redmi model when released? latest models seem to have teething trouble and they expect users to sort out issues using the Mi community app, I'm thinking say, don't buy 13 instead get 12 might avoid some issues

i am looking for a new phone as my current model is eol next year and once it reaches eol no more security updates

I was thinking about a number of phones i maybe not be affected by the problems other people are seeing because i am not a gamer but i see some people prefer 

Mediatek Dimensity chipset phones as their less prone to poor battery life and overheating compared to 

Me for the moment I am giving a miss any chipset which contains an animal name in it

I have been using Xiaomi for about 5 years now but am thinking next phone will be galaxy a34 (Dimensity chipset) and 4 years of security updates from phone launch date instead of 3 years with Xiaomi

Galaxy a34 was launched March 2023 so security updates available until March 2027 or wait for the Galaxy A35 which should be launched March 2024 in theory

so at the moment i am more focusing on chipset than on brands I have seen similar comments to you on model xxx and model xxy

Edited by vinny41
add

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Switching off security updates is not a smart thing to do. You missed loads of updates and updates need to be done in a certain order to work properly. This will most likely disqualify you from free services by the supplier.

You made this all up by yourself, right?

First of all security and firmware updates are two completely different things, and they are intended to fix bugs.

Of course firmware updates include security updates.

I didn't have any issues with my phone, until Xiaomi decided to fix it.

Secondly my phone has been updated to the very last version, and is what they see.

Please stop playing the apologist for all and everything in every thread, as it get tiresome.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BenStark said:

First of all security and firmware updates are two completely different things, and they are intended to fix bugs.

Secondly my phone has been updated to the very last version, and is what they see.

Please stop playing the apologist for all and everything in every thread, as it get tiresome.

40 years in IT and you?

You didn't notice any issues until the first update, doesn't mean there weren't any. You were very vulnerable for hacking as you didn't do any updates.

Your ignorance is amazing.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

I've found Xiaomi phones to be pretty reliable.  I'm on my 5th now and aside from the one that leapt from my shirt pocket into the toilet bowl, I have never had any major issues. I'm into my 3rd year using an Mi9T and it's giving me no excuses to shop for a new one.

Just as a general rule, I find most "Customer Service" in all of Asia to be more about denying culpability and stonewalling.  I understand OP's frustration but getting Xiaomi to do much more than they already have seems a Quixotic quest. Admitting fault is to be as avoided as is getting a sun tan.  I wonder how much aggravation OP is willing to endure trying to resolve this in his favor.

Whenever I do have issues, I've gotten helpful assistance on the Reddit Xiaomi sub-forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/

2 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Did you try a complete factory reset or get the xiaomi service centre to completely reinstall the latest firmware?

No I did not, as i'm not interested in losing all my data, only to find out if that would fix it

Edited by BenStark

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

No I did not, as i'm not interested in losing all my data, only to find out if that would fix it

Save the data somewhere else first. That is not too difficult. You can always transfer the data back to your phone.

You could also consider installing a custom rom such as Lineage with microg. Apparently it also has google playstore so apps can be installed.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Well it would if the technician explained why?

Does it really need explaining to you that he would never own a Xiaomi phone, because as a technician in the service centre, he has first-hand info of all the issues they experience?

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

As there is nothing in all your comments which have any added value, you can join my ignore list for free.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

Can you also put me on ignore please, as that would be a huge advantage, to which many members on this forum will eagerly agree

Certainly, not, I wouldn't want to deprive you of the benefits of absorbing my comments nor me of the amusement from so many of your posts.   You could, of course, put me on the sad "Ignore" list, though, and then make an announcement about it!