Coolant Level

4MyEgo

I recently had the Coolant replaced (5 litres) and want to know if it's ok for the Coolant level to be below the minimum level when the motor is cold.

When the car is running, the Coolant level rises to above the maximum line and the temperature gauge doesn't go past midway, and when the car is left overnight, the Coolant level is below the minimum line, literally where the inlet hose connects to the Reservoir.

Went back to the dealership and they said, it's ok to be like that, but the owners Manuel says otherwise, i.e. the Coolant level should be between the minimum and maximum level, so I am just wondering what others think as I can't say I trust the mechanics that I have dealt with here before, long of the short, they have said the problem with other things at times was this, and that, but it wasn't.

Last but not least, the Coolant has changed colour from light pink to a purple colour and yes I know it runs through the motor and that maybe the cause, so just asking, if this normal as I am old school, pre-alloy heads.

The mechanic drained and changed the Coolant because there was a warning light stating Coolant overheating and the temperature gauge was at 3/4's, hence the reason the Coolant was drained and new Coolant added, and the temperature gauge is back to where it usually is, i.e. 1/2 way, however when I put my hand on the side guard, either side, the guard's are really hot and I am thinking maybe time to change the thermostat as the car is a 2016 pickup and has 200 + clicks on it.

As usual, appreciate any feedback.

EDIT: I did add a litre of the same Coolant and another litre of distilled water at another time, but back to the same level when the engine is cold. There are no leaks that I can see.

Edited by 4MyEgo