Thanathorn Continues Senate Candidate Search despite EC Warnings

webfact

image.jpeg

Progressive Group's Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit has declared he will maintain his campaign to encourage public participation in the upcoming senatorial elections, despite warnings from the Election Commission (EC) that his actions are unlawful.

The ex-leader of the defunct Future Forward party said the campaign is designed to highlight the importance of electing 200 new senators, replacing the current junta-appointed Senate whose tenure ends on May 10. Thanathorn noted an encouraging response from the public with more people showing interest in running as independent candidates.

Despite allegations of having a hidden agenda for the Senate election, Thanathorn rejected the claims. He emphasized the campaign aims to encourage candidates from all political backgrounds to ensure elected senators focus on the public interest.

Thanathorn called on the EC, Constitutional Court, and the National Anti-Corruption Commission to remain unbiased. Moreover, rather than implying his group is influencing the Senate election, he encouraged the EC to endorse his campaign, as it emphasized the importance of the election.

The EC has cautioned it may shut down the iLaw website that provides free space for potential senatorial candidates on social media. Thanathorn expressed concern about this, questioning why the EC seeks to prevent public access to information on candidates.

Under the EC's design, an unprecedented senatorial electoral system permits only candidates to vote for senators. This process consists of three voting rounds: district, provincial, and national. Candidates are required to belong to one of 20 specified professional groups; political party representatives are not eligible to apply.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit. File photo courtesy of Wikipedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering why it is unlawful to make people available for elections?? O yeah in Thailand only the friends of those in  power are entitled to run for senators... That is Thai Democracy

you want the long or short answer?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the EC's design, an unprecedented senatorial electoral system permits only candidates to vote for senators. This process consists of three voting rounds: district, provincial, and national. Candidates are required to belong to one of 20 specified professional groups; political party representatives are not eligible to apply

The fix is in.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Progressive Group's Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit has declared he will maintain his campaign to encourage public participation in the upcoming senatorial elections, despite warnings from the Election Commission (EC) that his actions are unlawful.

The ex-leader of the defunct Future Forward party said the campaign is designed to highlight the importance of electing 200 new senators, replacing the current junta-appointed Senate whose tenure ends on May 10. Thanathorn noted an encouraging response from the public with more people showing interest in running as independent candidates.

Despite allegations of having a hidden agenda for the Senate election, Thanathorn rejected the claims. He emphasized the campaign aims to encourage candidates from all political backgrounds to ensure elected senators focus on the public interest.

Thanathorn called on the EC, Constitutional Court, and the National Anti-Corruption Commission to remain unbiased. Moreover, rather than implying his group is influencing the Senate election, he encouraged the EC to endorse his campaign, as it emphasized the importance of the election.

The EC has cautioned it may shut down the iLaw website that provides free space for potential senatorial candidates on social media. Thanathorn expressed concern about this, questioning why the EC seeks to prevent public access to information on candidates.

Under the EC's design, an unprecedented senatorial electoral system permits only candidates to vote for senators. This process consists of three voting rounds: district, provincial, and national. Candidates are required to belong to one of 20 specified professional groups; political party representatives are not eligible to apply.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit. File photo courtesy of Wikipedia

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-01

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

It's the right move to get rid of this Govt hopefully.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Aint nobody been gettin rid of with this. This is about appearing to be legit whilst bolstering the conservative elite/military power by a pseudo or one could say corrupt democratic process. The only way this unelected govt by the people is going is by a coup. All future elections will be rigged in favour of the status quo so I can't see any other way. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Aint nobody been gettin rid of with this. This is about appearing to be legit whilst bolstering the conservative elite/military power by a pseudo or one could say corrupt democratic process. The only way this unelected govt by the people is going is by a coup. All future elections will be rigged in favour of the status quo so I can't see any other way. 

I'm afraid it might happen as you say. But I hope there will be fair elections representing the people's decision.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm afraid it might happen as you say. But I hope there will be fair elections representing the people's decision.

Quite the opposite last election. The people's decision was overwhelming in a landslide victory yet we are where we are. This whole Senate process is about not having fair elections. Keep in mind 50 of the junta's senators will remain and who knows how many of the others will be "voted" back in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

political party representatives are not eligible to apply.

aka representatives of the Thai electorate.

The Thai Senate "deselection" candidate system seems similar to the communist one-party system wherein the CP selects candidates who can run for office. But actually marginally superior to the Thailand EC (?) deselection system as a one-party nation electorate still can directly vote for the candidates.

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

seems like every time you post you have to quote the WHOLE op. do you have problems selecting the important ideas? maybe abstain from posting...

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Quite the opposite last election. The people's decision was overwhelming in a landslide victory yet we are where we are. This whole Senate process is about not having fair elections. Keep in mind 50 of the junta's senators will remain and who knows how many of the others will be "voted" back in.

Unfortunately the MFP gained the most votes but didn't win the election. They needed 51 % of the votes to form Government. That's when the dirty deals were done behind closed doors and PTP got the numbers and are now in charge. It begs one question, what if MFP got 51 % of the votes required would they now be the Government? I'm sure they wouldn't be as the EC etc would implement ways to prevent this.

• Agree 2

I'm not disagreeing with you but the party that can rouse up 51 % or better are the winners even by dubious means. I'm sure Teflon Tony would've been sending his instructions from overseas. I think that the MFP members are rather inexperienced in Thai politics they need to recruit some serious political head kickers like the other major parties have. In saying that I may I repeat, if the MFP received 100 % of the votes at the election, would they be Government now? Any person who lives in Thailand believes this are dreaming.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NONG CHOK said:

I think that the MFP members are rather inexperienced in Thai politics they need to recruit some serious political head kickers like the other major parties have.

i said that before and it pee'd a few members here. but i totally agree with you. this party lacks experience, and even if he is popular he is getting beat around all the corners by the snake tax-sin

Edited by Pouatchee