Tragic early morning crash claims life of young man on rain-soaked Thailand highway

webfact

image.jpeg

A 26 year old man lost his life in a tragic crash when a pickup truck he was driving plunged into a ditch after hitting an electricity pole on the Asia Highway, Route 32, in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya province today at 3am. The tragedy, which unfolded in the early hours of the morning, also resulted in injuries to two other individuals.

The fatal event occurred as the driver, identified only as Ratchanon, was returning from dropping off an inebriated friend who was unable to ride his own motorcycle home.

The heavy rain that fell on the highway led to the vehicle losing control, colliding with an electricity pole, and plummeting into a roadside ditch.

The pickup truck, an Isuzu with Nakhon Sawan registration, was found in a severely damaged state at the bottom of the ditch with two injured passengers scattered nearby.

One of the injured, a 24 year old named Somrak, regained consciousness and began calling for his missing friend.

by Nattapong Westwood

Image courtesy of Khaosod Online.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Whatever the sad circumstances, I find it rather inappropriate for a "haha" emoji to be posted!

Sad to see the contrast between the respect and condolences being expressed for one of our own posters who died in a traffic accident, and the absolute disdain for a Thai person who has died in a traffic accident.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Sad to see the contrast between the respect and condolences being expressed for one of our own posters who died in a traffic accident, and the absolute disdain for a Thai person who has died in a traffic accident.

Fair point...  However, we have one incident - a Pickup at 3am, in heavy rain loosing control of his vehicle. 

The other, we have no information about.

Perhaps it's my bias based on years of being here and years of reading Kwasaki's posts....  

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the deceased in this thread is a result boozing (he was dropping off an inebriated friend who was too drunk to ride his motorcycle) and then speeding in very poor weather conditions.

In the 'other thread' I'm wondering if Kwasaki's passing is a result of someone else's actions (another road users). 

I could very well be wrong, however, as I mentioned, I've become tainted by what I witness on a daily basis here... 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Whatever the sad circumstances, I find it rather inappropriate for a "haha" emoji to be posted!

100% agree....  We should go back to being able to see who posts the emoji's so we know who the obnoxious, vile, toxic, subhuman pig is and know to avoid any further communication with them in any other threads.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the deceased in this thread is a result boozing (he was dropping off an inebriated friend who was too drunk to ride his motorcycle) and then speeding in very poor weather conditions.

Could be, and pretty likely.  But as a teatotaler for the past 34 years, I'm often called upon to be the designated driver.  Occasionally carting my friends home after they've had a snootfull, even when that wasn't my pre-arranged plan.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% agree....  We should go back to being able to see who posts the emoji's so we know who the obnoxious, vile, toxic, subhuman pig is and know to avoid any further communication with them in any other threads.

I agree, but I suspect staff can read who it is. 

Kwasaki was killed on his bike thread, someone laughed............????

Love to know who it was................????