New "Income" tax law 2024

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Looks like the general gist of all these tax threads is many people don't want to pay tax in Thailand but want to live here.

That's one view, maybe another is people have built their lives here based on an understanding of their income/budget & that might now change so understandably they're concerned. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm fully Tax compliant in my home country (which is where all my income comes from) & plan to be so in Thailand.

• Like 1

Looks like the general gist of all these tax threads is many people don't want to pay tax in Thailand but want to live here.

What a dolt.

Nobody here lives in Thailand unless you have a PR. Who wants to do 90 day reports while paying tax? Remember, we are all tourists here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who does not want to optimize taxes ? Everywhere around the world. Freeworld sounds like a former government employee. All of the people I know contribute a lot to Thailand - whatever their tax situation might be. This includes me who has spent many many millions here. But I stay here because of my family only and of course I want to be conform with the rules but not because of the reasoning displayed above

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Not sure if you are just being argumentative for the sake of it but if you already pay tax elsewhere why would anyone want to pay more?

As mentioned in the post above IMHO the concern is because of the total lack of detail as to how this will work so it is difficult for many to know how they will be affected and to what level.

Edited by topt
post above meant MartinL's post
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, topt said:

As mentioned in the post above IMHO the concern is because of the total lack of detail as to how this will work so it is difficult for many to know how they will be affected and to what level.

As stated above, it is the uncertainty about what the impact will be that is the big problem rather than anything else.  

As a UK retiree whose sole source of income being brought in to Thailand is from a company pension, it seems what I bring in could be taxed in Thailand.  This is despite it already being taxed in the UK.  

So, unless things are clarified before the end of the year, I am currently thinking how to avoid bringing potentially taxable income in to Thailand during 2024.

Currently the annual amount the Thai wife and I spend in Thailand on day to day living is around 1,000,000 baht.  There are no planned large purchases next year so I'll aim to stick to that amount for 2024.  

I can probably bring 600,000 baht of this in to Thailand before the end of 2023 which I think means it will not be impacted by the new directive.  I will bring in the other 400,000 in 2 chunks of 200,000.  One sent to my bank account and one sent to the wife's account.  I believe this will keep us both below the level at which any tax is payable.  Then, if it is needed, we can both file Thai tax declarations in early 2025 with no tax to pay.  

Hopefully things will become clearer, if not by the end of this year then by early 2025!  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 12:31 AM, CMBob said:

it is income technically taxable in your home country and shouldn't be taxable here.

I don't think double taxation works like that. In Double taxation (personal not corporate), you pay taxes in you tax resident country first and then deduct your taxes from the source country's taxes. If source country's taxes are 0, you pay the full amount in Thailand. If source country's tax is 20K and Thailand tax is 2k. You pay tax in Thailand first and then deduct your 2K payment from your source country's taxes. 

4 hours ago, topt said:

Not sure if you are just being argumentative for the sake of it but if you already pay tax elsewhere why would anyone want to pay more?

First you pay taxes for the amount you bring to Thailand and then deduct the taxes from your source country's taxes. If your source source country does not tax, then of course you only pay Thailand taxes. Let's say you have 100K USD income in the US and bring 24K. You first pay taxes on the 24K, let's say 1K USD in Thailand. You can then deduct your 1,000 USD taxes paid to Thailand from your US tax liabilities. 

4 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

First you pay taxes for the amount you bring to Thailand and then deduct the taxes from your source country's taxes. If your source source country does not tax, then of course you only pay Thailand taxes. Let's say you have 100K USD income in the US and bring 24K. You first pay taxes on the 24K, let's say 1K USD in Thailand. You can then deduct your 1,000 USD taxes paid to Thailand from your US tax liabilities. 

You make it sound so simple.....

In practice for many the tax years and filing dates are completely different with potential fines for late payment. Most importantly not all DTAs are equal so not necessarily the case.

Until they clarify how it will work we are all just venting :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2023 at 12:47 PM, soalbundy said:

Yesterday I received my confirmation of income from the German consulate, the letter addressed not only the IO but also the inland revenue although I hadn't mentioned anything about taxation to them. The paragraph for the inland revenue stated that they assume that Mr xxxx wil be exempted from taxation due to the double taxation treaty between Germany and Thailand. So Germany goes the extra mile for their pensioners, I doubt that Brexit Britain will do the same for hers.

for alll the ex-pats concerned with this coming tax on our monies - last week I received an email from Greenback

expat tax company...([email protected]) who advertized their ex-pat tax services.  They asked if I

had any questions about taxation here - of course I did and asked about the double taxation international agreements.  I was surprised at the answer. They also gave me an answer about the FBAR which I had been doing

without need at over the past couple of years but now that too is changed.  Anyway, I learned that US citizens can

be forced to pay taxes to a country with an agreement and that dollar for dollar paid to this country can then be

deducted from my US tax payments.  I do not know if they also provide any infor for other countries but one can

always email them and ask.  Good luck to all!

14 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

See rule 5 on the RD Website... https://www.rd.go.th/english/23520.html

5.   What happens if the rate of tax stipulated in the Revenue Code is different from that of an agreement?  

- Apply the rate which is more beneficial to the taxpayer.  

Which I read as saying if you've paid any Tax on the Income in your home country & Thailand has a DTA which covers that kind of income, then Thailand will not tax you again on it even if the Tax rates in Thailand are higher. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, morg said:

Hi I rent out 2 flats in uk will I have to pay tax in Thailand starting from 2024 under the new tax law 

If you bring this money to Thailand you should read the Double Tax Agreement between your country and Thailand, and probably you will discover that the income from a rented flat must be subjected to tax only in the country where it is located.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:50 AM, MartinL said:

The UK-Thai DTT seems, to me (although my take could very well be totally wrong), to offer no relief from double taxation for me, as the recipient of non-government pensions. That's a concern.

Thai tax payable under the laws of Thailand and in accordance with this Convention, whether directly or by deduction, on profits, income or chargeable gains from sources within Thailand (excluding, in the case of a dividend, tax payable in respect of the profits out of which the dividend is paid) shall be allowed as a credit against any United Kingdom tax computed by reference to the same profits, income or chargeable gains by reference to which the Thai tax is computed.

Article 23  Thai UK tax treaty

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Thanks Jim. 

I saw that long ago, many months before all this tax discussion became a 'thing' and had completely forgotten it. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Except non governmental  pensions (including the state pension) are specifically excluded according to HMRC from the UK/Thai DTA - so how does that work there.........

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, topt said:

Except non governmental  pensions (including the state pension) are specifically excluded according to HMRC from the UK/Thai DTA - so how does that work there.........

Despite Jim refreshing my memory, I'm still going with the assumption that such pensions are excluded from the DTA. A pleasant surprise might be forthcoming when/if all this ever clarified. 

• 1 month later...