Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

5 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I worked at a school and the boss was the rudest person I ever met.  She just said 'YOU'.  That was it.  After one semester she walked in the office and said to me ''Oh wow hi and did you get here okay Mr....''  Then everyone said no this is not the new guy, he is (name).

I prefer mr to you.

wow

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This has nothing to do with my nationality. There are some here that bring my nationality into every thread I post. They seem to resent it in some way. 

You are funny without being obscene, rare these days but it's probably due to your nationality and culture.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:43 PM, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

How do you feel about pronouns?

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That's my point. Unlike other ethnicities, like the Chinese or Indians. Many farang here are happy to door mats. 

I never considered your problem to be worth my time to protest about. I accepted I was living in a different country, and was treated differently there.

Whatever my feelings about immigration, the rest of my time there I had no problems with the way they addressed me, and was quite content with the ways they ( normally ) treated me.

Surprised you’ve let this get to you. Rarely get called this, but when I do I see it as a form of respect from locals making an effort and/or don’t know your name. You or farang is being disrespectful. Perhaps you’re in a touristy area where it is common. Don’t sweat the small stuff ????

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Surprised you’ve let this get to you. Rarely get called this, but when I do I see it as a form of respect from locals making an effort and/or don’t know your name. You or farang is being disrespectful. Perhaps you’re in a touristy area where it is common. Don’t sweat the small stuff ????

thanks

12 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

How do you feel about pronouns?

There is a pronoun 'mun' that Thais use when referring to farang. 

It really gets my goat. Basically it means 'ít' and I've even heard Thai g/fs and wives use it, when they thought I neve understood. 

Check this video at 1:25. 

Edited by Neeranam

On 9/27/2023 at 11:03 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Of course its based on race...  They see a white skinned foreigner and assume you are not Thai, so call you Mister...  its rather polite of them in fact.

if they call me 'misterrrrr' i politely tell them to call me sir or my preffered prefix which is 'master'

It's amusing when they comply.

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There is a pronoun 'mun' that Thais use when referring to farang. 

It really gets my goat. Basically it means 'ít' and I've even heard Thai g/fs and wives use it, when they thought I neve understood. 

Check this video at 1:25. 

I think the word is mung.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

haha - back under your stone now....

Good afternoon, PJ, when you show up it always reminds me of the 60's, and P.J. Proby............????

But, can I help you with something, gardening, anything, just name it and I will see what I can come up with...????

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Good afternoon, PJ, when you show up it always reminds me of the 60's, and P.J. Proby............????

But, can I help you with something, gardening, anything, just name it and I will see what I can come up with...????

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately the 60's are before my time....

I've actually got a Frangipani ( white ) in the garden i'd like to dig up and put in another spot, any pointers?

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately the 60's are before my time....

I've actually got a Frangipani ( white ) in the garden i'd like to dig up and put in another spot, any pointers?

Perhaps under that rock.........????

Just now, transam said:

Yeh, riiiight.....But don't you mean, state.............????

no, i mean my two gardeners removed all the unwanted rocks from my garden, is that too difficult to understand?

my drivers wash my fleet of vehicles and drive me wherever i wish to go.

my maids cleans ( and cooks ).

Yes i have 6 staff, 4 at work at any given time.

You don't have staff?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

no, i mean my two gardeners removed all the unwanted rocks from my garden, is that too difficult to understand?

my drivers wash my fleet of vehicles and drive me wherever i wish to go.

my maids cleans ( and cooks ).

Yes i have 6 staff, 4 at work at any given time.

You don't have staff?

20, but don't tell anyone..........????

4 hours ago, JayClay said:

So in summary, you don't mind your friends calling you a cant. But you do have issues with Thais calling you Mister?

You missed the point. That is term of endearment where I come from. 

I was comparing to a Thai word.