Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

20 hours ago, BenStark said:

Another thread from our Thaier than Thai foreigner.

Maybe OP should have it tattooed on his forehead that he has a Thai ID card, and then expect everyone to prostrate for him

Why is it that we find so many "Thaier than Thai foreigners" at AN?

Does been an AN member make one Thai as time goes on?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

To be concerned about this you seem to be opening yourself up to many forms of address. Many of them less polite than Mr.

• Haha 1

It's a bit annoying but I give as good as I get calling out "mister" to any Thai that requires it.

Also calling out "hello" as a way of getting there attention.

This is one annoying but inconsequential side of mister.

However, I find them adding "mister" into my official account name at SCB bank a bit of a worry. I have seen scb accounts with no mister. I also don't see other banks doing it as much. I had a number of issues doing international transfers into scb. Transfers getting lost multiple times.

I am concerned the mister confuses things.

As does Thais love of using middle names. They don't understand we don't really use them.

This often causes issues with airline tickets as well.

I had never actually seen the full word of "mister" written until I came to Thailand. That's how important it is.

Never been called 'mister' everywhere I go??  There have been the odd times where I have been called mister but judging by the speakers ability with English its always to me been obviously out of respect or merely just trying to be friendly.  Never felt anything else.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

Call me anything you like, I probably wont hear it  

Edited by Grumpy one
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Isn't Mr. the equivalent of Khun?  Both meant to show respect.

No, mister is the equivalent of 'nai'. 

Khun is an honorific or a pronoun. Sometimes I get 'you' which is the translation of 'khun'. 

Mister is OK sometimes with me, for example when in a tourist area. 

What bugs me is when going through the public hospital process when they shout out the names. They don't say brown people's names, just their name. When it me, or other white guys, they say 'mister'. 

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

It is of no consequence whatsoever, except to you, it seems - easily offended for no good reason.

Also, in your country, would it be of no consequence if Latino looking people were addressed as 'Senor' at a public hospital? 

Or if in the UK, the Indian looking people were given ''Shree before their name?

Would you consider this racist there?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No it isn't. 

It just seems to be in Hua Hin that people call me mister. They totally separate white guys from the brown ones.

it's everywhere in Thailand. If I'm not being called Mr it's leung (uncle). When I asked why Mr and not khun my wife said it's a respect thing. If a Thai calls you khun they are intentionally disrespecting you.

13 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

it's everywhere in Thailand. If I'm not being called Mr it's leung (uncle). When I asked why Mr and not khun my wife said it's a respect thing. If a Thai calls you khun they are intentionally disrespecting you.

No it isn't, I live outside tourist areas for decades. 

If a Thai calls me khun, it is not disrespecting me at all, unless possibly it comes from a bar girl.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

many and maybe most often, people call me Khun - - but mister is not offensive - it seems like an attempt to be polite in my language. I don't like when pushy tailors call me "boss" when I walk past their stores. 

Boss has become the go to form of address for strangers and casual contacts (in 7-11 it is mandatory) in the Los Angeles area where i lived.

Seems like it has crossed the Pacific, I get "boss" from taxi drivers here sometimes.

I use it automatically myself.

Is it equivalent to "mate" in the countries that use "mate" in a similar way?

I find the tailors a bit annoying but never noticed they say "boss".

Let me think, there's gotta be something people say that bugs me.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, Neeranam said:

The people(nurses) concerned knew very well my  nationality as they tried to charge me the foreigner rate at the hospital, which is substantially more, about 30%. Therefore, they use the word based on race.

That is very true, as soon as a doctor or nurse see you in a hospital, private or public, the cash register in their heads starts ringing.

I do realise that some farangs who are regulars at their local public hospital don't have that problem.