Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

I have worked long and hard at being a despicable disreputable creature, so receiving the honorific "mister" is for me, a matter for celebration!

Time to grab a couple of girls, a couple of bottles and withdraw to the VIP room (when the pension is paid)!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Why amazed... its a the most common form of government issued ID for any non-Thai in Thailand. 

And, as you don't look Thai, when ID is required, this is the normal ID you will be asked for. 

The words Passport and ID are used synonymously in Thailand when foreigners are concerned. 

I think you are looking to feel offended when people don't automatically know you are Thai.

Before I had a Thai passport many foreigners told me I wasn't a real Thai. 

A passport is only needed for travelling. Even now, some people are surprised and say, 'Oh, do you have a passport?', thinking(wrongly) that makes the Naturalization complete.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

We all know that native Thais love to belittle foreigners in any which way they can, be it verbal or non verbal.

its a game they play between themselves, they get off on it.

Very true. God forbid if the foreigner is allowed to get something at a cheap price, a loss of face for some.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Without wishing to get too deeply into the Farang debate... 

There are times when I would find it offensive if used...

... i.e. If extended family (InLaws or BiL, Aunties, uncles etc) called me 'the Farang'... that'd be pretty rude when they all know my name... Of course, thats never happend because they are polite and respectful. 

... The same when in a group of Thai friends who all know my name.

Conversely, I've no issue at all when walking into a shop and overhearing one shop assistant say to the other "go and help that Farang"...   

But if the Shop assistant said to me "Farang, what can I help you with" I'd find it clumsy... usually they'd just avoid the use of the word 'Farang' when addressing me directly and perhaps use the word "Mister"... 

Thus - I suspect the word 'Mister' is used as a more polite replacement for the word 'Farang' when someone is addressing you.

A lot depends on where it happens and who talks.

If a food vendor calls me Mister to show off his English knowledge that is perfectly fine with me.

If someone mentions the farang, maybe the only western person in the room, that is also fine. I think most people use that word without thinking about a negative meaning.

I am not the slimmest person, and some people call me Uan (the fat one). I don't care, it's an easy "description" and everybody knows which person they talk about.

Like: which one is your girlfriend? The brown girl. It's harmless - unless some people want to be offended. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

No. I'm just being true to authentic Americanisms. 

If you don't like it, I could care less. 

Interestingly, the title of this thread could be written, 'sun doesn't shine' because of verb-subject agreement. However, 'stick it where the sun don't shine, mister' is a commonly accepted colloquial phrase/idiom/euphemism. 

So, saying you could care less is OK in the USA. 

Similarly, in the UK football world, it's acceptable to say, 'the boy done well' etc.

Edited by Neeranam

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

Well, that's your problem, Mate.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Oh, he said he was a Scot. But I COULDN'T care less! 555

Do you know the most famous entertainer in Thailand?

Albert McIntyre. He is a Scot and a Thai.

I saw him once in Tops Supermarket, Chidlom. 

I never had the nerve to tell him he should be buying Porridge oats and not the Cheerio rubbish.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 2

Is it the binary angle you are worried about, guess you could point out what you identify as but most people don't care to be fair.

As a kid I'd get letters from my gran with the master pronoun, only get that one in special locations these days.

Mister is a bit better than "You" though for me which is also fairly common and it does not worry about how people identify, maybe that could work for "you"

2 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

As a kid I'd get letters from my gran with the master pronoun, only get that one in special locations these days.

Mister is a bit better than "You" though for me which is also fairly common and it does not worry about how people identify, maybe that could work for "you"

Me too, I wonder if those Stamps are worth anything these days?

I accept mister most of the time. I also accept that my gardeners often try to speak to me in English ????  

In my nine years in Thailand I have always been amused by being termed mister when shopping mostly  . I have tried to think why they use the term mister but i come up with nothing .

I have tried to explain that we use the word Sir when talking with a customer. 

Now and then I have been addressed as Sir when in a shop .

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

In my nine years in Thailand I have always been amused by being termed mister when shopping mostly  . I have tried to think why they use the term mister but i come up with nothing .

The word Mister is English, you should be pleased they are using your language to address you...:clap2:

The OP, on the other hand, just doesn't like Thai folk using English, this is another of his threads pointing it out, but do they go into one if he tries out his Thai, I doubt it...

Sad I know, but there you have it.............????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

The word Mister is English, you should be pleased they are using your language to address you...:clap2:

The OP, on the other hand, just doesn't like Thai folk using English, this is another of his threads pointing it out, but do they go into one if he tries out his Thai, I doubt it...

Sad I know, but there you have it.............????

Yes mister is English but used in the wrong way to address someone.

Thank you for explaining the situation with the OP.

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Yes mister is English but used in the wrong way to address someone.

Thank you for explaining the situation with the OP.

I doubt that the average Thai who use the word "Mister" did a GCSE in English grammar, and we should understand that.........????

31 minutes ago, itsari said:

Mister in Thai is 'nai'. 

Mister is said informally sometimes, depending on the informal situation but usually in tourist areas.

It is NEVER used in business, 'khun' is ALWAYS used.

I find it inappropriate, especially in a setting like a government office or hospital when they call out your name, especially if you are not a foreigner.  

They shout out or speak over the speaker, Terdsak, Somchai, etc then Mister Neeranam. Next time at hospital, I'm going to ask them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Without wishing to get too deeply into the Farang debate... 

There are times when I would find it offensive if used...

... i.e. If extended family (InLaws or BiL, Aunties, uncles etc) called me 'the Farang'... that'd be pretty rude when they all know my name... Of course, thats never happend because they are polite and respectful. 

... The same when in a group of Thai friends who all know my name.

Conversely, I've no issue at all when walking into a shop and overhearing one shop assistant say to the other "go and help that Farang"...   

But if the Shop assistant said to me "Farang, what can I help you with" I'd find it clumsy... usually they'd just avoid the use of the word 'Farang' when addressing me directly and perhaps use the word "Mister"... 

Thus - I suspect the word 'Mister' is used as a more polite replacement for the word 'Farang' when someone is addressing you.

It's a question of traditional Thai culture and society. The establishment of "inferior" or "superior" is the initial paramount concern next is simplicity. The use of Mr in this case is inference of superior standing. An prime example of Thai and Western culture clashing, key to understanding Thai people and their ways.

Seen similar comments living in the Philippines in regards to the use of "sir", "boss" or "daddy". Same same but different.

On a thinking note, i wonder what would happen if a foreigner went ballistic on unsuspecting Thai yelling "Don't call me Mr. FFS!"

I'd pay to see that, never have.

• Thanks 1