Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. Can you imagine if the hospital charged more for treatment based on the race/nationality of the patient and when sued, they were backed up by the courts and the government as happened in Thailand. 

It's deeply ironic that western countries are the most diverse, fair and accepting countries in the world while also being labelled as the most racist and xenophobic.

We even "positively" discriminate against our own people for things like jobs and university places but it's never enough.

I fear a massive backlash if this overreach is allowed to continue. 

Massive backlash by whom exactly? Won't be by farangs as we know the situation before making a decision to live there, and tourists have other things on their mind.

Farangs should, if they don't already, understand that farangs are just not important in LOS. IMO the only Thais that care about farangs are those that live off farangs as in BGs, or ones that have caught a tame ATM.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Massive backlash by whom exactly? Won't be by farangs as we know the situation before making a decision to live there, and tourists have other things on their mind.

Farangs should, if they don't already, understand that farangs are just not important in LOS. IMO the only Thais that care about farangs are those that live off farangs as in BGs, or ones that have caught a tame ATM.

Maybe re-read my post, it seems you got the wrong end of the stick.

I was talking about people in our home countries who are seeing their kids denied opportunities to go to University because of "positive" discrimination, seeing their ex-servicemen living on the streets while illegal immigrants are put up in 4 star hotels etc. 

I have no issue with the way farangs are treated in LOS. Actually, I wish we treated foreigners in our home countries the same way i.e. no visa go straight to the IDC and then get deported - but unfortunately the #bekind lefties would be up in arms about it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

That is very true, as soon as a doctor or nurse see you in a hospital, private or public, the cash register in their heads starts ringing.

I do realise that some farangs who are regulars at their local public hospital don't have that problem.

You worked for no charge in your employment then! 

On 9/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, Neeranam said:

The people(nurses) concerned knew very well my  nationality as they tried to charge me the foreigner rate at the hospital, which is substantially more, about 30%. Therefore, they use the word based on race.

Having a bad day, have we?

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe re-read my post, it seems you got the wrong end of the stick.

I was talking about people in our home countries who are seeing their kids denied opportunities to go to University because of "positive" discrimination, seeing their ex-servicemen living on the streets while illegal immigrants are put up in 4 star hotels etc. 

I have no issue with the way farangs are treated in LOS. Actually, I wish we treated foreigners in our home countries the same way i.e. no visa go straight to the IDC and then get deported - but unfortunately the #bekind lefties would be up in arms about it.

Yes, I misunderstood. Agree that western governments are treating their citizens disgracefully.

Not going to end well, as such gets extreme right wing governments elected.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, I misunderstood. Agree that western governments are treating their citizens disgracefully.

Not going to end well, as such gets extreme right wing governments elected.

Exactly. And such extreme right wing governments where what I was referring to when I spoke of a backlash (and when I say extreme right wing I mean EXTREME right wing, not just slightly to the right of centre that the left often like to label "far right" and "fascist").

19 hours ago, roo860 said:

Get from up your own backside will ya, the first post I made was a joke, a play on words, but it went way over your head and another poster.

8 other members saw the joke.

You quoted a word that doesn't mean what we were talking about. 

How am I up my own arse?

What was the joke?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I agree

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

This thread is soo funny. A bloke who calls himself Thai, slagging off Thais. you can't make this sheet up.

Why do you keep bringing my nationality up in every post you reply to?

You must have a chip on your shoulder about it. 

This thread is about farangs being called mister. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many farangs in LOS actually get together to bitch about "being discriminated against"? IMO hardly any.

That's my point. Unlike other ethnicities, like the Chinese or Indians. Many farang here are happy to door mats. 

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That's my point. Unlike other ethnicities, like the Chinese or Indians. Many farang here are happy to door mats. 

I'd agree that many are... But it also seems that in their 'attempt' to not to be 'door-mats' some are so fearful of being disrespected & treated with inequality that they also react to problems which don't exist. 

In general Thai's will other Thai's (they don't know) with a general degree of indifference. 

In general Thai's will treat foreigners (they don't know) with a general degree of indifference. 

Some foreigners get upset by this and consider it poor treatment, but it's just people being people, thats it. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd agree that many are... But it also seems that in their 'attempt' to not to be 'door-mats' some are so fearful of being disrespected & treated with inequality that they also react to problems which don't exist. 

Good point. 

Remember, Chinese used to be called 'Jek' which the equivalent of farang' for Westerners. They stopped accepted being called by a racial term, I'm sure you seen or farang who call themselves that! 

43 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, steven100 said:

or ' papa '  

never been called papa

How old are you? 

I'm middle aged, as I get older I've been called papa a few times now. 

It ticks me OFF when the 40yo Thai birds call me papa. 

Do they reckon I could have fathered them. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Good point. 

Remember, Chinese used to be called 'Jek' which the equivalent of farang' for Westerners. They stopped accepted being called by a racial term, I'm sure you seen or farang who call themselves that! 

Yes... and its somewhat self deprecating...    But we also don't need to over-react at the term either.

I'd obviously react if I heard the term out of context, i.e. someone who knows my name (i.e. company of friends, family or colleagues etc) referring to me as 'The farang'... But when used as a descriptor to describe a Westerner I've no issues with its use.

I'm not going to over-react and start drawing parallels between N-word, Jek and Farang etc because that would be to 'shoe-horn offence and outrage' out of something innocuous. 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not going to over-react and start drawing parallels between N-word, Jek and Farang etc because that would be to 'shoe-horn offence and outrage' out of something innocuous. 

Fair enough but all racial words become derogatory over time. 

On 9/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

Patong beach....you're not special.

20230928_181944.jpg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

How old are you? 

I'm middle aged, as I get older I've been called papa a few times now. 

It ticks me OFF when the 40yo Thai birds call me papa. 

Do they reckon I could have fathered them. 

OK, shouldn't be too long before you're getting called papa. 

I worked at a school and the boss was the rudest person I ever met.  She just said 'YOU'.  That was it.  After one semester she walked in the office and said to me ''Oh wow hi and did you get here okay Mr....''  Then everyone said no this is not the new guy, he is (name).

I prefer mr to you.