Phuket tops list as World’s Most Overcrowded tourist destination

webfact

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It was a <deleted> destination years ago, and that movie just made a bad situation worse.

Last time I went was after the tsunami to see for myself, and I got a great deal on an hotel.

They were just building the same <deleted><deleted> as before the tsunami and likewise on Phi Phi, so never went back to either places.

Recently I visit it again after I move from there about 11 years ago.

We stay in a hotel at the north of the island and like to visit the big Budha and Wat Chalong.

It was  for the whole drive to there, a big traffic jam.

Some 25 years ago, I lived there, on Patong for more than 10 years, but now it was virtually inaccessible because of the crowds, terrible.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Pictoral input of quality tourism by the red brethren from the North ????

Happy days are here again ...... pictures from public domain of Chinese beaches - go figure how that will "beautify" Phuket and "invite" quality tourists from faraway lands ???? 

25eb47dd1e9a21da6761bea256925ecd.jpg

main-qimg-9caff6af92b24581af179755d06d22f4-lq.jpeg

0e1843b1ef4cd1c07a4022ec7bdf5553.jpeg

:sick:

Hmm!  Visited recently, stayed two days, that was enough, checked by police twice, Overloaded with Russians and unwelcome Russian bars and restaurants, so many Police, packed beaches and overpriced bars, who would stay here again!

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TTSIssues said:

As we are in Phuket this week I can confirm it is rammed with Russians, Indians and Arabs. Seen a few Chinese about but not many. Definitely busy again, even in the pouring rain. 

When you say you are in Phuket, where in Phuket?

Nai Yang isnt crowded at all. These articles are just full of crap. I paid 600 baht for a room 450m from beach. Coffee nearby 25 baht, Khao Soi 60 baht.

Ao Nang is overcrowded crap hole but Klong Muang beach isnt. Bad food though.

Lets hope the Russians dont discover pkk or its over. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Most Thais people that live and work in Phuket are registered in other provinces, not to forget the many thousands of Burmese migrant workers.

I remember from years ago that there were also lots of Cambodians. But yes, calling Phuket 'overcrowded by tourists' based on the small number of locals is quite a stretch, as there is a large number of Thais from other parts of the country living there, who are not registered in the province. Same applies to Pattaya and, most probably, Krabi. Strange though that the three islands off Surat Thani are not on the list.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, PaDavid said:

The top 5 are:

1. Phuket, Thailand
  2. Pattaya, Thailand
  3. Krabi, Thailand
  4. Mugla, Turkey
  5. Hurghada, Turkey

1. Muğla (No 4) is a province (and provincial city) in Turkey. The city is inland and is fairly unremarkable. It certainly is not high on anyone’s list of places to visit. The province includes many resorts: Bodrum, Fetiyhe, and Marmaris are the larger ones, but there are dozens of other places dotted around the Muğla coastline many of which receive few tourists. .

2. Hurghada (No 5) is in Egypt, not Turkey. 

It makes you wonder how seriously you can take the report. 

If you check the original source you will see Hurghada correctly located in Egypt:

https://moneytransfers.com/news/2023/09/06/the-most-and-least-over-touristed-destinations-around-the-world

25 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If you go to tourist spots its the usual, like anywhere else on the planet for summer/beach holidays e.g. Idiza, Greek Islands, Cosa Del Sol, Florida, Gold Coast Qld, Bali, Some Caribbean islands, Italian and French Riviera's.

We are so lucky to have a home in a gorgeous quiet natural setting on Phuket. Beautiful home, zero road, motocy noise, no local rubbish toxic burnoffs.

Its bl@@dy bliss when we are there.

Amazing golfing on quiet, uncrowded, immaculate courses. Beautiful beach near our house (only go for early morning swims) without crowds (even in high season).

We don't have much contact with the tourist 'rabble' and Euro and other world 'trash-tourists' that descend and behave badly across the globe or here.

We eat at the local scrumptious places - no problems and delicious.

Its easy to glide right through all that other angst. 

If you don't go to crap bars, Patong, general tourist and heavily targeted tourist areas/venues you hardly notice or have any discordant crowding, drunkards, nutters on motocy's, and other anti-social stuff.

I'm alright Jack.Nice to hear you love your fellow man.

• Haha 2

Not true. Bali beats Phuket by miles. Last time I was there it was beyond oppressive. Never again. Phuket by comparison is very moderate. However, it is over rated, and underwhelming. I was recently there, and have no need to ever go back. The taxi situation is ridiculous, alot of the food is over priced, the selection of women for a single man is some of the worst anywhere in Thailand, and the nightlife is also some of the worst in Thailand. Bangla is a horrific nightmare. Far worse than Disneyworld.

Edited by spidermike007

If I went south again fly to Hat Yai, couple of days. Train to Phattalung. Spend 5 days riding around. What a gem. Train to NST, get a mb or car explore remote parts. Gun scenary in parts, no farangs. Train to Chumphon. Do same. Then north again.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

If I went south again fly to Hat Yai, couple of days. Train to Phattalung. Spend 5 days riding around. What a gem. Train to NST, get a mb or car explore remote parts. Gun scenary in parts, no farangs. Train to Chumphon. Do same. Then north again.

Pay a visit to this place https://fanclubthailand.co.uk/discover-the-wonders-of-thale-noi-phatthalung/ 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PaDavid said:

The top 5 are:

1. Phuket, Thailand
  2. Pattaya, Thailand
  3. Krabi, Thailand
  4. Mugla, Turkey
  5. Hurghada, Turkey

1. Muğla (No 4) is a province (and provincial city) in Turkey. The city is inland and is fairly unremarkable. It certainly is not high on anyone’s list of places to visit. The province includes many resorts: Bodrum, Fetiyhe, and Marmaris are the larger ones, but there are dozens of other places dotted around the Muğla coastline many of which receive few tourists. .

2. Hurghada (No 5) is in Egypt, not Turkey. 

It makes you wonder how seriously you can take the report. 

Phuket also tops the list for surveys by the most mindless , spurious and ill qualified survey companies...as exampled here

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Often wonder what Thais think of these miserable races.We all know in most walks of life having fun is paramount to them.I just hope they look at them and realise money doesn't bring you happiness.

I guess you voted for Brexit to get away from ''johnny foreigner''

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Taco said:

These lists are such BS. Moneytransfer.com? 555

no where in India on the list?
Taj Mahal just a tad more crowded

Taj Mahal makes Phuket in peak season look like an outback town in Australia.

It took over 6 hours to get there (200Ks) and over 7 hours to get back (New Delhi).

And when we got there it was an absolute (insert swear)ing disaster - worst day ever in India.

Never Ever go there - just look at the pictures freely available on the web.

India is not massively over-crowded with tourists - if you ever go there you'll soon know why.

But it is massively totally utterly over-crowded with Indian people.

What is unbelievable is that they are generally happy and very nice people.

Until you play them at cricket ????

19 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Pictoral input of quality tourism by the red brethren from the North ????
Happy days are here again ...... pictures from public domain of Chinese beaches - go figure how that will "beautify" Phuket and "invite" quality tourists from faraway lands ???? 

25eb47dd1e9a21da6761bea256925ecd.jpg

What is sad about many Thais (and TAT) is that they would love to see that in Thailand - especially those that have businesses there - making money is too much in their minds.  Many Thais dont seem to think about the downsides of what they do - that is the problem in living  'up to me and only now'.  Those 2 poor tourists killed by a Thai driving a boat through a restricted area is just one of millions of examples every day here.  I wont say what I would do to him if it was my kids that he killed being a selfish self-centred (rear end hole). 

• Thumbs Up 1