Passport checks at BigC Onnut

Lorry

44 minutes ago, Lorry said:

You winessed this?

You witnessed a murderer ending up in prison?

You forgot the moon landing and the existence of America...all hearsay, I didn't witness it. I only hear other people saying it's true.

Go on. Keep digging your hole deeper and deeper, making yourself look sillier every time :clap2:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is a legal requirement for all foreigners to carry a photo id document that is currently accepted in Thailand.

Same rule for Thais.

True. But that legal document can be any Thai government-issued ID, such as a driver's license. The Top Cop has said that a passport photo copy is all that is needed.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 12:51 AM, Lorry said:

As told by a local vendor:

2 farang were checked near BigC, they didn't carry their passport. The police (?) wanted 5000, after some bargaining settled for 3000 per person. 

The vendor found it too much.

Charge me with a crime and take me to court.  Oh - wait!  There is no "crime" as it was a shake-down.  Anyway - chalk it up for being a good reason not to live in one of Thailand's 'big' cities.  The police out in the sticks have better things to do than shake down the local farangs as doing so simply spurs the ire of their Thai families..

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Neither of the two examples you give me are rumours.

Not too sure about that Barry. There is no real doubt that North and South America broke free from the big land mass and formed the Atlantic. But whether they were ever discovered or not by the Europeans, well!! Can something like that be discovered? Maybe they just found it on their travels.

As for the moon-walking?! No-one believes that now. Definitely a rumour.

I was asked for my passport one evening last year in Jomtien, close to the police station at the beach. Copper was looking at a young Russian's passport and then turned on his heels as I walked past and asked me for mine. I showed him a scan on my phone. He then asked me where I was staying. Then waved me on. Youngish copper who was polite and spoke pretty good English. No suggestion of a 'tip'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Go on. Keep digging your hole deeper and deeper, making yourself look sillier every time :clap2:

Now that would be you digging the hole. Almost every other read and understood the post. 

OTOH, you are the unnecessarily pedantic person trying to make something from nothing.

You, like most of us who read the post, understood what he meant, and know that nobody is perfect.

OTOH I have no idea of the point that YOU are trying to make.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Now that would be you digging the hole. Almost every other read and understood the post. 

OTOH, you are the unnecessarily pedantic person trying to make something from nothing.

You, like most of us who read the post, understood what he meant, and know that nobody is perfect.

OTOH I have no idea of the point that YOU are trying to make.

Thank you for your comment. I see nothing wrong in being precise, but that's me. There are others who don't care and even find it offensive, probably to cover their own inadequacies.

• Sad 1

In all the years I have lived here, the only time I carry my passport, is if I am doing some banking, where it is required, if I am going to immigration, or if I am leaving the country. Otherwise, a color copy of my passport, with the visa page on the reverse side, is always adequate for the cops, airlines, etc. That or my Thai ID or drivers license. Why take that kind of risk, when it is not necessary?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Too complicated for me to do that. Bar codes and those square dotted things give me the jips.

Quite agree 3 bar codes and 1 QR code on each bill do you pick and chose or is there a specific one to use.

Bit like when I tried to update bankbook today, failed "could not read bar code" it said, what bar code said I, it's a magnetic strip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Almost every other read and understood the post. 

My initial reaction was that the OP was in Big C and had wanted to pay by card and was asked for his passport. That has been reported before. But then it turned out that not only did it not happen in Big C but it didn't happen to him at all, and nor did he see it happen. It was, to all intents and purposes, bar stool talk.

Do you now see the reason for being precise? Prevents any misunderstandings. And then he started throwing a word he doesn't understand back at me and talking about men on the moon!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My initial reaction was that the OP was in Big C and had wanted to pay by card and was asked for his passport. That has been reported before. But then it turned out that not only did it not happen in Big C but it didn't happen to him at all, and nor did he see it happen. It was, to all intents and purposes, bar stool talk.

Do you now see the reason for being precise? Prevents any misunderstandings. And then he started throwing a word he doesn't understand back at me and talking about men on the moon!

Still sad.

You just can't let it go.

I isn't the end of the world and nobody, other than you cares.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Still sad.

You just can't let it go.

I isn't the end of the world and nobody, other than you cares.

Just because some - in your words, nobody - cares doesn't make it right. Maybe I care as I'm a journalist and to me language precision is essential. Although, seemingly, less so as the world dumbs down. I can understand though that many don't give a rat's fart about whether something is correct or not. Depends on your standards, i suppose.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:48 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Was informed by 3 armed and uniformed Immigration Officers, who had stopped me in the street, that carrying a copy of the passport was not acceptable (as it could be faked), that all foreigners must carry their passports on them when away from home, and I was only 9km away in my local town, I proffered along with the photocopy my Pink Card and Driving License they were waved away with the comment means nothing to us.

Wrong place wrong time, I think they'd just been checking a hotel for foreign residents and failed to find one, so homed in on me.

The law does not say you need to carry your passport. It says you need to produce your passport.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:39 AM, connda said:

Charge me with a crime and take me to court.  Oh - wait!  There is no "crime" as it was a shake-down.  Anyway - chalk it up for being a good reason not to live in one of Thailand's 'big' cities.  The police out in the sticks have better things to do than shake down the local farangs as doing so simply spurs the ire of their Thai families..

If they insisted on a cash payment on the street I'd ask them to take me to the police station so I can get a proper fine and receipt. Also an interpreter and a phone call to my lawyer. If they paid 3000 baht, they were fools. My lawyer gave me advice NEVER to hand a passport to a cop. They can be used to leverage huge "fines" and it's best to tell them the passport is at your lawyer's office. Never make it easy for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:06 AM, trainman34014 said:

All nonsense; it is not a lagal rquirement to carry your Passport.   Should this happen it would be advisable to insist that you be taken to the Police Station where the so called 'Cops' operate from.  Carrying a Photcopy of your Passport is a good idea but again, is not a legal requirement !

It's a legal requirement in Thailand to be able to produce 'government authority issued photo ID' within a reasonable timeframe...   

For most of us thats a passport... 

Having been here for over 25 years Ive been asked for my passport a Three times by chancing police in BKK (I didnt have it).

- Two occasions, two BiB pillion on a motorcycle, late night (3am-ish), pulled up the taxi I was in on some back soi's (Thonglor area), they wanted a passport, I just said no firmly, they asked where I was going and I just said 'Home'...  they seemed to back down. 

- On other early evening (7pmish - Asoke Juunction) they wanted me to get out of the taxi, I ended up calling a friend who works for the police and that was that.

Those occasions very much felt like a shakedown...  extremely rare, but its happened. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1