Passport checks at BigC Onnut

Lorry

On 9/29/2023 at 9:54 AM, spidermike007 said:

In all the years I have lived here, the only time I carry my passport, is if I am doing some banking, where it is required, if I am going to immigration, or if I am leaving the country. Otherwise, a color copy of my passport, with the visa page on the reverse side, is always adequate for the cops, airlines, etc. That or my Thai ID or drivers license. Why take that kind of risk, when it is not necessary?

Agreed...   

That said, unlike some, I'm not so sure this is a made up story - The Thonglor police used to get up to similar shenanigans a while ago, so its perfectly feasible that either some BiB harassing foreigners or some 'fake police' are...   Both happen and have happened in the past.

As others have pointed out - IF facing such a situation and the BiB want to fine you, refuse the fine insist on going to the Police station.

In the vast majority of cases a photo of the ID page on your passport is fine, as is a Thai DL or a Pink ID card. 

Those criminals (Police and fake police) attempting to extort people back down when they know they are getting nowhere. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:02 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

In the headline the poster wrote he says at Big C. He then says near Big C. There's a difference. I'm guessing this is a troll from someone who didn't even see what happened himself but was 'told' by a vendor.

Nothing to see here, folks.... Move on.

At Big C / Near Big C...  the same thing for some... i.e. both at and near could both mean in front of Big C - that in itself is not really an indication of a fabricated story. 

This just sounds like someone passing along something they've been told, the info could be of value to some of us.

There are numerous unscrupulous police around - it could be a reality that a couple in the area of On Nut are behaving like this, its fortunate most don't because there is little downside to getting caught (inactive position).

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

The law does not say you need to carry your passport. It says you need to produce your passport.

That's been discussed ad nauseum in dozens of threads over the years. 

Even top cops have gotten online and given diverging opinions, one saying copies are acceptable to carry, another following the next day saying it has to be the original.  But they all say you have to carry something to identify yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, billd766 said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You seem to care!

You seem to misunderstand.

I am merely responding to your posts.

No, you were responding to Bangkok Barry, not me, and you showed that you do care by stating your opinion about it that "it isn't the end of the world"!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lorry said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where?  There's hundreds of BigCs.

Threads have titles. 

My apologies, I did overlook that.   

It's a pity your title didn't also include that it was a ridiculous claim based on the lack of any evidence that you provided!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Few weeks after the military coup years ago, when there were no more street vendors left to rackt, the cops were pulling over tourists and submitting them to drug scan pee tests on the road. Of course often at the wee hours of the morning one had to pay to "pass".

Assuming one does not want to believe the OP, keep in mind that crooks often pose as cops to distract you while another thief is trying to do your pockets or your backpack. I would not brush away the incident and be a patsy when it comes to scams or corrupt cops in Bangkok.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 2:06 AM, trainman34014 said:

All nonsense; it is not a lagal rquirement to carry your Passport.   Should this happen it would be advisable to insist that you be taken to the Police Station where the so called 'Cops' operate from.  Carrying a Photcopy of your Passport is a good idea but again, is not a legal requirement !

"Thai laws state that everyone, including its residents and citizens, must always have a valid ID when leaving their homes. Since U.S. tourists do not have locally issued identification documents, they should have their passports as proof of identification."

https://www.travelvisapro.com/blog/passports/do-you-have-to-carry-your-passport-in-thailand

next fallacy please.

On 9/27/2023 at 3:21 PM, Lorry said:

Good question. I don't know. 

I know only what I posted.  I posted it because it's an area where many foreigners live, and not everybody is carrying his passport when going to BigC.

Sounds like fake cops making a quick score and leaving asasp

On 11/2/2023 at 11:03 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

"Thai laws state that everyone, including its residents and citizens, must always have a valid ID when leaving their homes. Since U.S. tourists do not have locally issued identification documents, they should have their passports as proof of identification."

https://www.travelvisapro.com/blog/passports/do-you-have-to-carry-your-passport-in-thailand

next fallacy please.

That is correct,

For the indentification law, any Thai goverment issued ID card should be sifficient.

But there can is also the requirement to proof your legal sttaus in the country. (Visa check)

Here is the issue, it is not sure if this can be done with a copy or does it have the original passport, Depending on their mode they say one or the other.

Also officially only a immigration officer can check your legal status as normal police officers don't have access to the immigration information.

On 9/28/2023 at 12:51 AM, Lorry said:

2 farang were checked near BigC, they didn't carry their passport. The police (?) wanted 5000, after some bargaining settled for 3000 per person. 

I live in Khon Kaen . Part time for close to the past 20 years, full time in the past almost four.

Never carried my passport , or a copy of it with me. No one (other that at IO, bank etc) has ever asked me for it. I know it is irresponsible , but I often go out having forgotten my wallet. I mostly have my telephone with me, In it I have a picture of my Thai licence and pages of my passport, but I have thousands of pictures, so if asked, I ma not sure if I would be able to find it. If needed I would call my wife and have her text me a picture, but I never had. Not sure about BKK , and I am not advocating behaviour such as mine.  

On 11/2/2023 at 6:03 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

next fallacy please.

A copy of their passport, not the original.

"We strongly recommend you carry a copy of your U.S. passport identification page and current Thai visa to help avoid detention by the Thai immigration police". 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Thailand.html

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I live in Khon Kaen . Part time for close to the past 20 years, full time in the past almost four.

Never carried my passport , or a copy of it with me. No one (other that at IO, bank etc) has ever asked me for it. I know it is irresponsible , but I often go out having forgotten my wallet. I mostly have my telephone with me, In it I have a picture of my Thai licence and pages of my passport, but I have thousands of pictures, so if asked, I ma not sure if I would be able to find it. If needed I would call my wife and have her text me a picture, but I never had. Not sure about BKK , and I am not advocating behaviour such as mine.  

I'm the same, I live for over 35 years on Phuket and never being asked for my passport.

I never have it with me and use my Thai DL or ID card if required.

Even traveling domestically i never have it with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, merijn said:

That is correct,

For the indentification law, any Thai goverment issued ID card should be sifficient.

But there can is also the requirement to proof your legal sttaus in the country. (Visa check)

Here is the issue, it is not sure if this can be done with a copy or does it have the original passport, Depending on their mode they say one or the other.

Also officially only a immigration officer can check your legal status as normal police officers don't have access to the immigration information.

The real question is that can they (regular non immigration police) arrest or hold you on suspicion of not having valid visa? 

49 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The real question is that can they (regular non immigration police) arrest or hold you on suspicion of not having valid visa? 

Good question,

I suspect that they can but they have to hand you over to the immigration department for a visa check.

10 minutes ago, merijn said:

Good question,

I suspect that they can but they have to hand you over to the immigration department for a visa check.

I suspect they can't; I think that is why they have joint operations - police and Immigration police.

The only time that I have ever been asked to show my passport was at a joint checkpoint on highway 2.

I never carry my passport when out - I do take it with me if traveling out of province.

• Thanks 1