Applying for a New Non Imm O visa early, will I lose the remaining time on my current visa?

I have a one-year Thai non-immigrant O multi entry visa, which requires me to leave every three months. If I leave Thailand and apply for another non-immigrant O visa with a month and a half remaining on my current visa, will I lose the remaining time on my current visa? I will not be able to leave Thailand closer to when my visa expires, so I will need to apply for a new visa over a month early. Thanks for any replies! 

24 minutes ago, rhino533 said:

If I leave Thailand and apply for another non-immigrant O visa with a month and a half remaining on my current visa, will I lose the remaining time on my current visa?

Yep, you lose any time you have when you stamp out.
As Celsius correctly pointed out you're buying a NEW visa and it has nothing to do with this current 90 day stamp you're on now.. 
If you can't go closer to the date when your current stamp expires you just have to deal with the fact you lose the time on this stamp

• Like 1

when does the actual visa expire,

do you have non immigrant O visa for being married

if so you could obtain a 60 day visit wife extension closer to the leave before date in your passport, and then obtain a fresh visa at the end of that extension

if your not on a married visa then ignore my post

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

when does the actual visa expire,

do you have non immigrant O visa for being married

if so you could obtain a 60 day visit wife extension closer to the leave before date in your passport, and then obtain a fresh visa at the end of that extension

if your not on a married visa then ignore my post

I totally forgot about that. I have plenty of time before my visa expires.  I'm on a 1 year non Imm O (married) multi entry (leave every 90days)  That's what I'll do. I'll apply for the 60 day extension. Thank for the reply!

• Like 1

I was under the impression that as long as you returned to Thailand before the visa expired you would get another 90 day permission to stay. I thought the idea with these visas was to time it to return the day before they expired to get a total of 15 months from each visa?

Edited by alanrchase
Add word.

21 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I was under the impression that as long as you returned to Thailand before the visa expired you would get another 90 day permission to stay. I thought the idea with these visas was to time it to return the day before they expired to get a total of 15 months from each visa?

that coupled with a 60 day wife extension would give you 17 months in Thailand 

4 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Is this correct?
If you have a one-year Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa (leave the country every 90 days) and you leave the country with a week left on your 1 year visa, when you re-enter Thailand you will receive another 90-day stamp even if there is, lets say 1 day left before the year visa expires?  After that when you 90 day is about to expire, you can apply for a 60-day extension? 

14 minutes ago, rhino533 said:

Is this correct?
If you have a one-year Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa (leave the country every 90 days) and you leave the country with a week left on your 1 year visa, when you re-enter Thailand you will receive another 90-day stamp even if there is, lets say 1 day left before the year visa expires?  After that when you 90 day is about to expire, you can apply for a 60-day extension? 

My understanding is that each time you enter during the one year validity period of the visa you will get 90 days. If you enter with one day left you will get 90 days. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to extend that 90 day permission to stay for another 60 days. Hopefully one of the visa experts on the forum will post soon to confirm whether that is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Yes, and then apply for a 60 day extension to your final "Permit to Stay" to be able to stay a total of 514 days on a 1 year 365 day Visa. If you use your Visa correctly to it's fullest extent that's a little more than 17 months.

3 hours ago, rhino533 said:

and you leave the country with a week left on your 1 year visa

Not exactly correct. I left to do a 'border bounce' one day before my  Non O expired and received another 90 days (that's out and in same day). I'll extend that for 60 days in November and go for a new Visa in Savannakhet in January. (The actual Visa expired in late August).

(I may switch to a retirement Visa in 2025 if I'm still kicking the daisies and not dust (ashes) in the wind).

23 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Yep, you lose any time you have when you stamp out.

That is a misleading statement. With an ME visa you do not lose any time when you stamp out, you can come straight back in as the visa remains valid until expiry date. The "every 90 days" is a misnomer, it is within 90 days. Your choice so no time is "lost" when you stamp out.

Any remaining time on the ME visa would be effectively lost on approval of application for another visa. If however the application was rejected for some reason the ME could still be used to re-enter.