Taxes on International Stock Market Investments

If I invest in USA stocks via my overseas stock broker do I have to pay taxes on a) Capital Gains or b) Dividends?

I would like to ask the same question again, if I were to invest in USA stocks using a Thai broker (such as the Kasikorn bank stock investment platform)

Thanks

Yes and yes.

Capital gains will be mostly tax free for foreigners that are not tax residents or citizens in the US but due to the new regulations you'll likely be liable for tax in Thailand. Only capital gains from trades on the SET (and a few other exeptions) are exempt. The new regulations are still not 100% clearly understood though.

Dividends will have 15% automatically withheld by the broker if using US broker due to the double taxation treaty between US and Thailand. I have not used a Thai broker so far but I can't image it being better. If anything I'd imagine it can only be worse.

Edited by eisfeld

4 hours ago, CrossBones said:

If I invest in USA stocks via my overseas stock broker do I have to pay taxes on a) Capital Gains or b) Dividends?

I would like to ask the same question again, if I were to invest in USA stocks using a Thai broker (such as the Kasikorn bank stock investment platform)

Thanks

Thanks.

So in this case the total taxes payable on US dividends for non us citizen living in Thailand is 15 percent?

Im guessing due to the new tax rules if we have overseas broker we will have to file a tax return of some kind to show money brought into Thailand. I want to selll my assets I have in Thailand and put those into a stock broker in Thailand for the sake of convenience. I am not trading just investing in some major US Index ETFs. I am here throughout the year but dont have a work permit.

Thanks

Edited by CrossBones