10 to 20 day meditation retreat

bignok

2 hours ago, bignok said:

vipassana meditation and walking meditation was what i was looking at. 

I thought you wanted to start a Youtube channel vlogging about thailand.

How many of your plans do you actually take action on?

before the asean community wastes more time giving you advice on sth you will never follow through on. 

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

before the asean community wastes more time giving you advice on sth you will never follow through on. 

Ahhh.  Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

My gf did. Been to 41 towns. A lot more than 99% on here.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Most on here never do a thing except criticise. 

• Haha 1

To OP:

meditation can be an amazingly rewarding practice. It is not a “holiday” for the brain but rather proven steps and exercises. to better understand our own minds and to develop more productive actions. We usually don’t learn that in our western public schools.

It can result in life changing paradigm shifts.

it is important to have good instructor  to guide you and to answer the questions that will come from your experiences.

if you want to prepare for a retreat or begin a practice “ Tergar Thailand” can be a helpful start. The Joy of Living classes are very good and designed for our westernpreconceptions. https://www.tergarasia.org/thailand/

”mindful meditation” is secular and you do not have to become a Buddhist to reap the benefits.

Personally I would suggest some instruction and a few months practice before a long retreat to maximize the experience.

enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have attended three meditation ten day retreats over the years. If you are thinking about it please give it a try. I am always amazed at the large number of people young, old, foreign and Thai who attend meditation retreats. Courses for ten days are usually fully  booked several months in advance and english tuition is available for  some courses in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I did a 10 day retreat about 15 years ago in Kho Phangan and it was an amazing experience. I'd strongly recommend it. It's not expensive, and if you decide after a few days that it's not for you, no problem, you can just leave.

Cynthia Kane is a good one to read for quick and thoughtful overviews.

Buddha's Brain, if you want an 8 hour listen and you like his style. Since you liked Think Like A Roman Emperor, take a look at his title, Resilient, which talks about the Stoic/Buddhist overlap. 

10 day retreats tend to be by The Goenke organization. They focus a lot on noting body sensations. To me, a bit of a distraction, but def a reasonable way "in".