Santander is closing my UK current account

somo

Three months ago Santander threatened to close my account unless I jumped through a number of hoops. These included providing a copy of my mothers will from 8 years ago when a large sum arrived in my acc. + a notified translation of my Tabien Ban as proof of address. I found the whole proccess very streesful and threatening and although I went through with it I complained. In the end they credited my acc. with 200 pounds to compensate for the trouble they put me through and wrote me a letter saying all was fine with my account.
Today my brother in the UK received a letter (I use his address for their correspondence as it takes months to arrive here) saying they are closing my account and I have 2 months to make alternative arrangements.
Although I detest the man I now identify a little with Nigel Farage.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has faced this problem of finding a new bank in the UK. I don't want all my money to be here in Thailand so need another UK account or maybe an online one.
Any suggestions much appreciated

20 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

What reason, if any, did they quote for the closure?

You will not get a normal UK bank account as a non-resident.

WISE is your best/only option......loads of threads about WISE.

No reason given.

I have used WISE once to send money to Thailand but was unaware they provide banking.

47 minutes ago, somo said:

Today my brother in the UK received a letter (I use his address for their correspondence as it takes months to arrive here) saying they are closing my account and I have 2 months to make alternative arrangements.
Although I detest the man I now identify a little with Nigel Farage.

Your issue with Santander is not comparable to Farage's, the accounts were closed for very different reasons.   You are not entitled to a UK bank account if you're not a UK resident - Farage is.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, somo said:

I wondered if anyone else has faced this problem of finding a new bank in the UK. I don't want all my money to be here in Thailand so need another UK account or maybe an online one.

Don't waste your time looking for a new bank if you're not a UK resident and cannot provide verifiable UK residential details/phone number, it is not possible from Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, somo said:

Today my brother in the UK received a letter (I use his address for their correspondence as it takes months to arrive here)

Huh?  Post from the UK to Thailand normally takes a few days at the most.  Sounds as though you're making excuses for not fitting the bank's UK-resident requirements!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  Post from the UK to Thailand normally takes a few days at the most.  Sounds as though you're making excuses for not fitting the bank's UK-resident requirements!

Did you consider the possibility that others may have a different experience to you?

My experience is in line with the OPs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, In the jungle said:

Did you consider the possibility that others may have a different experience to you?

My experience is in line with the OPs.

Normal mail from UK using Royal Mail does not, normally, take months to get to Thailand, it takes a few days...it's all put on a 'kin plane!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't waste your time looking for a new bank if you're not a UK resident and cannot provide verifiable UK residential details/phone number, it is not possible from Thailand.

OH YES IT IS! You get an international (off-shore, but UK bank sort code) account but they are not cheap, some require INITIAL proof of income, I think Barclyas charge 40 pounds a month if you can't do that.

Saying that, Barclays were willing to accept ANY UK address I gave them (so the bod on the phone said when he was going through the account closure) but I seriously doubt this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Did you consider that claiming that Royal Mail post from UK to Thailand takes months is a bit ridiculous?   I regularly get items bought from UK sellers sent here and UK to Bangkok usually takes about five days.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nglodnig said:
36 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

OH YES IT IS! You get an international (off-shore, but UK bank sort code) account

Offshore accounts are not UK bank accounts that are being discussed here that could replace his Santander account.   If he wants an offshore account and meets those banks requirements your suggestion is ideal.

13 minutes ago, In the jungle said:
40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

So you think he should give up at the first bump in the road.

Your advice is poor and unhelpful. 

My comments are accurate.  What are your suggestions that contradict my comments?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, somo said:

+ a notified translation of my Tabien Ban as proof of address.

Many are missing this from the OP 

His bank gave him the heave-ho because he gave them them all that they needed to (basically insisted on it).

No reason he can't start afresh with another UK provider using his brother's address and a more considered 'closed lips' approach with them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, oliverphoenix2 said:

If you have a UK sim card/number and a UK residential address, here's a post of someone opening a UK account from Thailand last year.

Neither of those apps you provided a link to are currently available in Thailand.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 minutes ago, Regyai said:

No reason he can't start afresh with another UK provider using his brother's address

How would he prove that he was resident at an address at which he doesn't live?   You really think that banks don't do credit and electoral roll checks on new account applications in person and won't ask where he banked previously?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would he prove that he was resident at an address at which he doesn't live?   You really think that banks don't do credit and electoral roll checks on new account applications in person and won't ask where he banked previously?

Likely with his DL, passport etc and much else that he's maintained in the UK - or is he as bereft of guile as you suggest?

Wise is giving 4.33% interest at this time on US dollar accounts with the Wise debit card. But I think at this time only those with a US address. Only clearing up the "Wise is not a bank" statement above. No, they are not a bank, but you are given the option to make interest. The money is put into a US bank.Wise may be taking a bit of interest from the bank.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did you consider that claiming that Royal Mail post from UK to Thailand takes months is a bit ridiculous?   I regularly get items bought from UK sellers sent here and UK to Bangkok usually takes about five days.

I think it really depends where in Thailand you are. In Bangkok for example it's very convenient. But if you stay in the sticks... it could really take very long or never arrives. I hear from different people which do not live in a big city that they have problem with the mail... (also with mail from inside Thailand).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Not a UK resident, but - may I ask, what's the reasoning of not letting UK nationals currently not residing in the UK having active bank accounts? Is it a new law? 

It is becoming a habit as well in Europe, it is the movement to close bank accounts for those not living anymore in their own country , not all banks do it but many .... so other banks  could also follow ....

Some at  their own fault to not comply with the documents asked .... or not let their bank having profit on them , example using cheap transfers by wise as an example ..., and also those CRS ruling from OESO  & that FATCA from USA

All they wish is total control over your finances ????

Edited by david555
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1