Santander is closing my UK current account

somo

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Offshore accounts are not UK bank accounts

I'm not getting into a debate about this but Barclays, Lloyds, Netwest etc. operate branches in Jersey and the Isle of Man which are to all intent and purposes are UK  branches - they have UK sort codes and can receive the all important UK state pensions WITHOUT any transaction charge like sending to a non-UK account would involve. 

I have transferred all my DDs to a UK bank 'International' branch in the IoM which you CAN'T do with non-UK accounts.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck - then I call it a duck.

Edited by nglodnig

5 hours ago, somo said:

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has faced this problem of finding a new bank in the UK. I don't want all my money to be here in Thailand so need another UK account or maybe an online one.
Any suggestions much appreciated

If you have a UK phone number, try Starling or Monzo. If you don't have a UK phone number, giffgaff will send a SIM to Thailand for you.

If your Play Store (or whatever equivalent you use) is geolocked and you can't see the app, use a VPN. Zoog has a free monthly allowance and you can install it on a phone. It's not a great VPN, but it'll do for this if you don't want to pay for one. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

The man from Liverpool is correct.

And It's not a duck at all it's a swan, its a bit different.

Use google and HMRC website to get a better understanding of it all.

Happy reading . :jap:

4 hours ago, quake said:

Offshore Santander or Lloyds isle of man.

Ps you need a bit of dosh to do it. 

A bit? Previously we have suggested simply enrolling with Coutts Private Bankers to avoid any more problems but it appears the minimum account balance requirement is now too high for readers here

Edited by Captain Monday

3 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

If you have a UK phone number, try Starling or Monzo. If you don't have a UK phone number, giffgaff will send a SIM to Thailand for you.

If your Play Store (or whatever equivalent you use) is geolocked and you can't see the app, use a VPN. Zoog has a free monthly allowance and you can install it on a phone. It's not a great VPN, but it'll do for this if you don't want to pay for one. 

Don't overlook the marvellous 'faux' UK landline numbers you can buy off skype - just the ticket for hoodwinking UK banks, GPs et all as to your whereabouts.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

A bit? Previously we have suggested simply enrolling with Coutts Private Bankers to avoid any more problems but it appears the minimum account balance requirement is now too high for readers here

:cheesy:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

What reason, if any, did they quote for the closure?

You will not get a normal UK bank account as a non-resident.

WISE is your best/only option......loads of threads about WISE.

Is Wise a deposit taking institution? I thought they were currency traders and therefore not allowed to hold customers' deposits.

9 hours ago, BarstoolChang said:

Did you ever buy crypto or deposit money from a crypto exchange to your bank?

Nope. All I use the acc for is to pay some bills in GBP and buy internationally on occasion which I cannot do with my Bangkok Bank acc which as I understand it is only good within Thailand.

13 hours ago, somo said:

Three months ago Santander threatened to close my account unless I jumped through a number of hoops. These included providing a copy of my mothers will from 8 years ago when a large sum arrived in my acc. + a notified translation of my Tabien Ban as proof of address. I found the whole proccess very streesful and threatening and although I went through with it I complained. In the end they credited my acc. with 200 pounds to compensate for the trouble they put me through and wrote me a letter saying all was fine with my account.
Today my brother in the UK received a letter (I use his address for their correspondence as it takes months to arrive here) saying they are closing my account and I have 2 months to make alternative arrangements.
Although I detest the man I now identify a little with Nigel Farage.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has faced this problem of finding a new bank in the UK. I don't want all my money to be here in Thailand so need another UK account or maybe an online one.

7 hours ago, nglodnig said:

I'm not getting into a debate about this but Barclays, Lloyds, Netwest etc. operate branches in Jersey and the Isle of Man which are to all intent and purposes are UK  branches - they have UK sort codes and can receive the all important UK state pensions WITHOUT any transaction charge like sending to a non-UK account would involve. 

I have transferred all my DDs to a UK bank 'International' branch in the IoM which you CAN'T do with non-UK accounts.

Thanks for that. I'll look into it

13 hours ago, somo said:

Wise and Revolut, can open both online.

Use your brothers address to open the accounts, don't tell them your're not living in the UK.

A pal of mine opened a Revolut account in the UK last week, using his family home address (his last UK adress) which they left 30+ years back.

Revolut have a very nice virtual Debit Card system, where you can make a new virtual card, for payments setting your own limits, or just for 1 purchase.

Wise are best for moving money to foreign countries. 

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

For some of our readers maybe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Wise and Revolut, can open both online.

Use your brothers address to open the accounts, don't tell them your're not living in the UK.

A pal of mine opened a Revolut account in the UK last week, using his family home address (his last UK adress) which they left 30+ years back.

Revolut have a very nice virtual Debit Card system, where you can make a new virtual card, for payments setting your own limits, or just for 1 purchase.

Wise are best for moving money to foreign countries. 

I set up my Revolut UK dual-currency account from my internet-enabled shed in Isaan about 6 months ago. Works well for my consultants fees from overseas and international remittances to/from three different countries.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did you consider that claiming that Royal Mail post from UK to Thailand takes months is a bit ridiculous?   I regularly get items bought from UK sellers sent here and UK to Bangkok usually takes about five days.

I think you'll find some government agencies (DWP for one) post to Thailand via a 3rd party in Europe to save money. Online shopping is different.

I buy cannabis seeds shipped from the UK via Royal Mail, and they are delivered to my Thai house in 10-14 days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

I had a similar problem with Santander ,they sent lots of forms to my address in the uk asking do i own property in the uk do i own property in Thailand have i a business am i a partner in a business . cut a long story short i phoned them up spoke to a lady . told her i had filled the forms in and sent them back why do you keep saying you will close my account .she asked me would i be willing to answer the same questions now just answer yes or no , so i did never heard no more that was before christmas . One thing that was strange my online banking by computer would not let me log on the same time i received the letters i was told my pass word was wrong .i was told to download the app when i phoned to complain . so  now i have santander app also my Thai phone number and i have lived here thirteen years . Yes i agree very stressful , i have been with them for years and always used the same address may i have just got lucky .

• Like 1

All this talk about the UK's Royal Mail delivery time here in Thailand being acceptable is not relevant to ALL boardies. It very much depends on where you live in Thailand IME, my deliveries here in Korat take circa 4 weeks but mates who live in the boondocks can take as long as 8 weeks.

Just sayin like ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Is Wise a deposit taking institution? I thought they were currency traders and therefore not allowed to hold customers' deposits.

They do hold deposits but obviously do not provide a full banking service (direct debts etc).... but for receiving and remitting money they are ideal - especially of no conventional bank wants you.

Deposits are not covered by the 85k guarantee scheme, but WISE are regulated by  Financial Conduct Authority (FCA),

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Not always, where I am (only 9km from a large town & 35km from the Provincial capital) post from Thailand to Thailand can take months, still waiting for an insurance bill reminder from June this year

You're one of the exceptions, then (who voluntarily choose to live in those areas).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Spot on.

It will eventually dawn on non-residents that their (banking) nuts are being squeezed and people like WISE are going to be their only option.

Anybody not yet committed to non-residency (but intend to be) should make sure that they have 2 or 3 bank accounts open with their current, or relatives address. The latter is not 100% foolproof but is better than nothing. WISE as a back-up is essential

Spot on.

10 hours ago, nglodnig said:

'm not getting into a debate about this but Barclays, Lloyds, Netwest etc. operate branches in Jersey and the Isle of Man which are to all intent and purposes are UK  branches

No they are not UK branches, those places are not in the UK and are subject to different regulations and offer different protections to their customers.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Deposits are not covered by the 85k guarantee scheme, but WISE are regulated by  Financial Conduct Authority (FCA),

Spot on, again, Wise offers no protection whatsoever to depositors by regulation, only its promise to "safeguard" customers'  money. " Safeguarding means that we look after your money"...that's it.  Reassuring.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No they are not UK branches, those places are not in the UK and are subject to different regulations and offer different protections to their customers.

Again, spot on. 

These international arms of UK are not UK banks - they were specifically ring-fenced out of the UK banking regulatory system.

The Royal Bank of Scotland International trades as NatWest International in Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar. 

Why have you changed your trading name from NatWest to NatWest International?

Due to ring-fencing legislation in the UK, we've changed our trading name from NatWest to NatWest International. You don’t need to do anything. There is no change to your banking services or how you do business with us.

To comply with legislation, we must separate our European Economic Area (EEA) business from our non-EEA businesses such as those in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar. We need to be distinctive and clear with our customer who they are banking with therefore we've changed our name from NatWest to NatWest International.

https://supportcentre.natwestinternational.com/Searchable/1010233202/Why-have-you-changed-your-trading-name-from-NatWest-to-NatWest-International.htm#:~:text=Due to ring-fencing legislation,you do business with us.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Regyai said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would he prove that he was resident at an address at which he doesn't live?   You really think that banks don't do credit and electoral roll checks on new account applications in person and won't ask where he banked previously?

Likely with his DL, passport etc and much else that he's maintained in the UK - or is he as bereft of guile as you suggest?

If he's non-UK resident and the only address that he can use is a relative's because he has no base there, his DL and passport (how exactly does a PP prove where he lives) will not help after he is found to be not on the electoral roll after credit checks.   

"Much else"?   He didn't suggest that he had all that "much else", just the opposite, in fact.   

The "new" bank will also likely enquire why his account with Santander was closed/closing.   Banks, these days, are wise to all the "guile" responses from people who shouldn't have UK bank accounts.

• Sad 1