Biden vows to stand by Ukraine, despite budget fiasco

Social Media

image.png

President Joe Biden has vowed continued US support for Ukraine, after further military funding was excluded from a last-minute congressional budget deal.

The temporary measure, pushed through to avert a government shutdown, did not include $6bn (£4.92bn) in military aid for Kyiv - a top White House priority.

Hardline Republicans oppose further military aid, with many openly opposing Mr Biden's approach to the war.

But on Sunday Mr Biden said Ukraine could "count on" US support.

"We cannot, under any circumstances, allow US support to Ukraine to be interrupted," Mr Biden said.

"I can reassure [Ukraine] we'll get there, that we're going to get it done," he said on restoring funding for the war. "I want to assure our American allies... that you can count on our support, we will not walk away."

The US has already supplied some $46bn (£37bn) in military aid to Ukraine since Russian launched its full scale invasion in February 2022.

President Biden has requested another $24bn (£19bn).

And in recent months the US has sent state of the art equipment to Kyiv - including long-range missiles and Abrams tanks. It comes as Kyiv's forces continue to launch a slow moving counter-offensive in the south of the country.

But Saturday's temporary budget agreement - which will fund the US federal government for 45 days - stripped out continued military funding for the time being.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I would bet money that Ukraine will effectively win next year, before November.

The sooner Ukraine wins the war the better but what makes you think that the war will end within 13 months?

Imo reports suggest that, unfortunately, the current situation is something of a stalemate and that Russia does not have any plans to wind down operations.

20 minutes ago, RayC said:
4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I would bet money that Ukraine will effectively win next year, before November.

The sooner Ukraine wins the war the better but what makes you think that the war will end within 13 months?

He's probably thinking that by Nov 2024, Trump would have lost the US general election.  This would end Putin's dream of fractured NATO support.  So yeah, if this war is still ongoing into late next year, it would most likely end as Putin won't have Trump as POTUS working on his behalf. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

He's probably thinking that by Nov 2024, Trump would have lost the US general election.  This would end Putin's dream of fractured NATO support.  So yeah, if this war is still ongoing into late next year, it would most likely end as Putin won't have Trump as POTUS working on his behalf. 

Sorry but how does Trump/ the Republicans losing the November 2024 election help Ukraine win the war within the next 13 months? 

Although a landslide Democrat victory next November is probably the best outcome for Ukraine, it's still not clear to me how this will hasten Ukraine's victory in the medium term (12 months+) unless there is a vast increase in US/ NATO military aid/ resources.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Imo reports suggest that, unfortunately, the current situation is something of a stalemate and that Russia does not have any plans to wind down operations.

Not a stalemate, one side has reached culmination, another is advancing.

But, it will take some time for Russia to lose complete combat ineffectiveness.

• Confused 1

It's possible a Trump loss would prompt a Russian evacuation from Ukraine.

Strange (or zero) reasoning. Maybe it's because you are consumed with your hate Trump, more than Putin?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I have to, reluctantly, disagree. Combat news is rather limited recently but Ukrainian gains over four months of operations since June seem to be very limited, with very small gains made only in a few local areas. So, overall, it seems to be a stalemate for now. For Ukraine to retake significantly more territory, then the cost in casualties may turn out be higher than it's worth. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The Ukrainian counter-offensive has not been as effective as it was hoped. 

I'm no military strategist but from what I've read any advance (by either side) is likely to be stalled by the approaching winter.

Will another Ukrainian counter-offensive next spring be effective? Let's hope so but, to rehash my earlier question, what evidence is there to support this hypothesis?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well obviously you are curious so please go ahead and give it your best shot as to why?

My best shot? 

The MSM use the anal extraction method to pull polling numbers out of their butts to support whatever narrative they're peddling.  Of course, it's tough to find a link for that, at least for about 2 years or so before the FOIA's and subpoenas come out and the whistleblowers sing.

In this case, I'd bet on selection bias...

19 hours ago, Social Media said:

The US has already supplied some $46bn (£37bn) in military aid to Ukraine since Russian launched its full scale invasion in February 2022.

President Biden has requested another $24bn (£19bn).

Just imagine the good things the US could have done for it's own citizens with that money. Perhaps they could have helped veterans as well.

Instead they are borrowing money to kill people.

12 hours ago, RayC said:

The Ukrainian counter-offensive has not been as effective as it was hoped. 

LOL. Something of an understatement.

A few captured villages are not proof of "success".

Soon, the Russians will have the winter to prepare for the next "counter offensive". It's not looking good for the front line Ukrainians, who will pay the price of America's involvement.