Confused about my visa options!

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

So in order to avoid such trouble, you could apply for the 90-day Non Imm O eVisa in your home-country.  When you enter Thailand on such Visa you will then get a 90-day Permission to stay stamp from day of entry. 

On what basis would the OP apply? He is neither married nor over 50.

6 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

On what basis would the OP apply? He is neither married nor over 50.

You are correct!  I did not re-read the full thread again (where I previously posted options for the OP's case).  Sorry for any confusion my last post might cause for the OP. 

So reading all this about the banks has lead me to new confusion (and I thought I finally had things sorted out)... Reading the requirements for a foreigner to open a bank account in Thailand, I found these in multiple sites:

• Your visa or a work permit. (assuming a METV works, this is fine?)
  • Your passport. (that's fine)
  • Proof that you’re living here in Thailand, such as a lease or rental agreement. (that should be fine too)
  • A letter from your employer confirming your name and title, and that you are currently employed in Thailand. (that seems impossible as I will not be employed in Thailand...)
  • A reference from the bank account you have in your home country, or embassy. (is this easily obtainable? I'm not aware?)

So if the marriage visa ultimately needs a bank account 2 months prior (at least) but I'm not able to work in Thailand prior to getting the marriage visa... how does this work?

16 minutes ago, Nedrapter said:

16 minutes ago, Nedrapter said:

So reading all this about the banks has lead me to new confusion (and I thought I finally had things sorted out)... Reading the requirements for a foreigner to open a bank account in Thailand, I found these in multiple sites:

• Proof that you’re living here in Thailand, such as a lease or rental agreement. (that should be fine too)
  • A letter from your employer confirming your name and title, and that you are currently employed in Thailand. (that seems impossible as I will not be employed in Thailand...)
  • A reference from the bank account you have in your home country, or embassy. (is this easily obtainable? I'm not aware?)

So if the marriage visa ultimately needs a bank account 2 months prior (at least) but I'm not able to work in Thailand prior to getting the marriage visa... how does this work?

Probably about the only time I would recommend using an agent.

They will help you for a fee.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nedrapter said:

What are these agents called and what do they help you with exactly?

Called "visa agent".

To open a Thai bank account on a tourist visa is difficult.

Places such as Pattaya have many agents.

One often recommended is Maneerat in Soi 13/2.

You can ask for advice using LINE.

Many others.

In Bangkok ThaiVisaCentre is well known agent they also chat LINE.

5 hours ago, Nedrapter said:

Opening a bank account these days is tricky. Most banks will (at least initially) tell you you can only open a bank account if you have a work permit. The requirements, in fact, are not cast in stone. Using an agent is simplest. If you want to do it yourself, be well groomed, explain that you need the account to deposit a large sum of money for immigration purposes, and will be maintaining a large balance. Then, sweeten the deal by stating that you will buy bank accident insurance (about a 3,000 to 5,000 baht premium) if they will open the account. The insurance is not completely worthless. (The bank employees get a small commission for selling insurance.) This will not always be sufficient, but will sometimes work.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Opening a bank account these days is tricky. Most banks will (at least initially) tell you you can only open a bank account if you have a work permit. The requirements, in fact, are not cast in stone. Using an agent is simplest. If you want to do it yourself, be well groomed, explain that you need the account to deposit a large sum of money for immigration purposes, and will be maintaining a large balance. Then, sweeten the deal by stating that you will buy bank accident insurance (about a 3,000 to 5,000 baht premium) if they will open the account. The insurance is not completely worthless. (The bank employees get a small commission for selling insurance.) This will not always be sufficient, but will sometimes work.

The main two requisitions I find banks want these days are a personal reference and to confirm your address, either a Yellow Tabien Baan or a residence certificate issued by Immigration. The days of accepting a landlords TB and ID card now seem defunct.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The main two requisitions I find banks want these days are a personal reference and to confirm your address, either a Yellow Tabien Baan or a residence certificate issued by Immigration. The days of accepting a landlords TB and ID card now seem defunct.

Those definitely help. They do not make or break an application. I have this year opened an account without either. It is hard.

44 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The main thing required is certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

Personal reference and Yellow Tabien most likely not cut it in many immigration offices..

The issue if located in Bangkok a certificate of residence cannot be issued without  TM47.

Impossible for those on tourist visa or visa exempt.

I suggest use of agent to open Thai bank account..

Another pathway is to enter with a non O.

Some banks may accept this.

Kasikorn would be good a good option..

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks for the added information and recommendations. I understand they put safety measures in place to avoid exploitation, but it feels so strange that (in my case) they have such a convoluted and complicated path for a person who already has a job and most importantly would bring foreign currency into their banks and spending it into their economy. Some other countries even give you extra benefits when you do that as it boosts a country's economy (of course not by 1 singular person but motivates more people to do it). Which makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something that I could be using to have a smoother path.

3 hours ago, Nedrapter said:

Which makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something that I could be using to have a smoother path.

Thailand simply doesn't cater for single men under 50, for long term stay, unless you are classed as wealthy, an expert, or married to a Thai national.
To 'legally' work in Thailand, you require a work permit.
For 'remote workers' such as yourself, unless you're classed as a professional and meet a certain criterion, then a WP isn't a possibility.

These are your visa options for Thailand;
https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-fees-validity
(Check out the LTR visas for remote workers)

Alternatively, the Thailand Elite visa;
https://thailand-elite.com/

Once you've examined these options and given you're under 50, but intending to marry, you'll understand why the advice is to try and secure a METV to enter Thailand. Get married before this visa expires, deposit 400K THB in a Thai bank account in your sole name and then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on marriage. Keep quiet about your remote work.

Edited by Liquorice

3 hours ago, Nedrapter said:

Thanks for the added information and recommendations. I understand they put safety measures in place to avoid exploitation, but it feels so strange that (in my case) they have such a convoluted and complicated path for a person who already has a job and most importantly would bring foreign currency into their banks and spending it into their economy. Some other countries even give you extra benefits when you do that as it boosts a country's economy (of course not by 1 singular person but motivates more people to do it). Which makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something that I could be using to have a smoother path.

They are not that smart here to figure that out or care. Applies to other areas as well, not just banks.