Suicide statistics are high

bignok

Just yesterday talking to a old expat about this.

It was back in 2015/16, I was chatting to middle aged 50ish farang in a cafe near Tukcom in Pattaya,  he was gay and living with his boyfriend over the road in Central Condo 

He mentioned about the Rugby union game on that night ,I think it was NZ all blacks playing and he was excited .

The next day I went to the cafe where the farang owner told me that guy had jumped off his balcony after losing on betting on the game.

Rumours it was his life savings of $40,ooo to  $50,000, he lost 

!!!

However in the cafe he was so adamant his team would win ,he didn't mention betting to me though 

I remember it making the Pattaya newspaper at the time 

Just lost his money on the online gambling account he had and he just must of just  become "sick " and jumped !!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just yesterday talking to a old expat about this.

It was back in 2015/16, I was chatting to middle aged 50ish farang in a cafe near Tukcom in Pattaya,  he was gay and living with his boyfriend over the road in Central Condo 

He mentioned about the Rugby union game on that night ,I think it was NZ all blacks playing and he was excited .

The next day I went to the cafe where the farang owner told me that guy had jumped off his balcony after losing on betting on the game.

Rumours it was his life savings of $40 to  $50,000, he lost 

!!!

However in the cafe he was so adamant his team would win ,he didn't mention betting to me though 

So the All Blacks lost?

In my opinion we should not worry about suicides. These people are going to die one day after all. What difference does it make off they die a few days, weeks, months or years early? I don't see what all the fuss is about. 

It's not exactly that humans are in short supply. There's too many of them anyway, and they are crowing millions of other species off the earth.  So, from my perspective it's nice that some people leave the party a bit earlier than planned. I say good luck to them and RIP.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, retarius said:

In my opinion we should not worry about suicides. These people are going to die one day after all. What difference does it make off they die a few days, weeks, months or years early? I don't see what all the fuss is about. 

It's not exactly that humans are in short supply. There's too many of them anyway, and they are crowing millions of other species off the earth.  So, from my perspective it's nice that some people leave the party a bit earlier than planned. I say good luck to them and RIP.

Your approach just creates unemployment, think of the therapists and suicide hot line workers  ????

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Your approach just creates unemployment, think of the therapists and suicide hot line workers  ????

I must admit, I hadn't factored those people in. Productivity wouldn't;t change much would it though. The WHO initiative started in 2014 and suicide rates have increased, so perhaps the therapists, nice as they are, aren't actually effectively preventing many suicides.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I must admit, I hadn't factored those people in. Productivity wouldn't;t change much would it though. The WHO initiative started in 2014 and suicide rates have increased, so perhaps the therapists, nice as they are, aren't actually effectively preventing many suicides.

I don't think there can be statistics on that... 

16 hours ago, retarius said:

How would you feel if this was your child, mom , dad or another relative? Some have no empathy for others, and that's much more of a problem than many other things on earth. It's like you think, the less people on earth, the better for you. Our "species" is the most important one on earth, although the others have their place, with the exception of mosquitoes, black flies, ticks and narcissists. Those without feelings have no place here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, eddiesdad said:

Our species is not the most important.  All species that inhabit the planet have importance.

Guess you're another non believer. All species have importance besides those that kill people, not including sharks, bears, cat family and croc family, because they target people that get too close to their habitat, where people don't belong. People are the highest in the importance list, because we were given a more developed brain, and a soul. A brain that should make rational decisions, but many times doesn't.

19 hours ago, retarius said:

Not only that but assisted suicide should be made available so *anyone* who wants to end their life can.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

In Quebec medically assisted suicide (state-sanctioned) is at 7 percent of all deaths, making it the third top cause of death in the province after cancer and heart disease.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12166823/Canada-track-record-busting-year-euthanasia-deaths-35-jump-13-500-cases.html

Surely that is misleading. Wouldn't many of those opting for assisted suicide already be suffering from great pain/discomfort as a result of the big C and other diseases? As a result, they will be claiming that cancer related deaths are dropping, when in fact they aren't. People are just electing to end it early.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, retarius said:

I absolutely agree.  It's our life & we have a right to end it if we choose.  
This needing to be "resilient" 24/7, ad infinitum, is ridiculous.  
We could allow it in a respectful way (Soylent Green, Edward G Robinson death scene) or make it as horrid and messy as possible.
Sadly, all societies choose poorly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Surely that is misleading. Wouldn't many of those opting for assisted suicide already be suffering from great pain/discomfort as a result of the big C and other diseases? As a result, they will be claiming that cancer related deaths are dropping, when in fact they aren't. People are just electing to end it early.   

When people opt out, not only do they control their suffering, but their money.  In the US, they keep you alive al long as they can to suck your last cent.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, retarius said:

One of the saddest, most backward posts I've read on this site. Stroll on. I agree, though, we could lose a few more. You first.

Edited by daveAustin