Influenza outbreak in Thailand schools kills two children, vaccinations urged

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-10-05-112704.jpg

The tragic loss of two young lives to influenza, compounded by encephalitis, has cast a sobering light on the importance of vaccination and vigilant healthcare practices.

A prominent medical source issued a fervent plea for influenza vaccinations, especially as we enter the rainy season when respiratory illnesses tend to proliferate.

The spectrum of common diseases during this period includes influenza, severe flu, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) leading to bronchial inflammation, bacterial pneumonia, and pulmonary edema.

The transmission of these infections primarily occurs through the inhalation or contact with droplets or secretions carrying pathogens, such as nasal fluids or saliva.

Dr Chonnanan, who has been deeply alarmed by the surging influenza outbreak within school communities, declared it a public health emergency. He remains on a 24-hour standby as the flu epidemic continues to escalate, with a staggering count of over ten thousand individuals falling ill.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo: by Andrea Piacquadio, on Pexels

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

It has been 45 years or so since I got a flu shot. Still alive. Many argue they help, and I am not opposed to them. I just prefer to bolster my immune system. There are countless ways to do that.

Red wine and Kulov voddy seem to work for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Whatever's going around affected my voice. Barely any other symptoms, beside a runny nose sometimes. Quite mild, but haven't been able to shake it off for 12 days now. Hot liquids seem to help, if only temporarily...

Oooh, hot red wine?

RSV has already hospitalized 3 infants including a 3 week old with severe pneumonia in the last  3 weeks from our  village ! The warning is real ! The resurgence of infections that were suppressed due to covid precautions has created a gap in generic acquired community immunity putting vulnerable groups at higher risk of serious impact.

RSV is usually only of significance to the very young and/or the very old.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Which one is the one currently going around in Bangkok (coughing, lasting for almost 2 weeks)?

I got that too. On day 5 now. My live in gf is a Nanny for 2 young students..they are both sick with cough. Thanks for sharing.

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you really not grasp how stupid such comments make you appear. You don't smoke a lot of stuff do you?

Do you really not grasp sarcasm staring you in the face?  ????   Has a lot of alcohol dimmed your reasoning?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Whatever's going around affected my voice. Barely any other symptoms, beside a runny nose sometimes. Quite mild, but haven't been able to shake it off for 12 days now. Hot liquids seem to help, if only temporarily...

Are you sure it was the flu? Sounds like a covid. ????

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

We think the same on this. I had a flu shot 'many' (30+) years ago and it made me sick. I've not taken one since. (I got 3 shots of mRNA-based COVID-19 alleged vaccine and won't bother with those anymore either).

Me too. The only reason I got my 3 was to be able to travel across borders. Period. Won't be getting any additional shots. And it will feel good to just say no to the BPM (Big Pharma mafia). 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peabody said:

I thought my comments were so obviously stupid that I didn't have to actually say they were sarcastic. Not you, but I'm amazed at the number of people for whom these would be actual points of debate!  ????

Well, because so many of the anti-vax/conspiracy theory posters have been posting their similar nonsense on another thread which has just been closed because of this, it's no surprise that some folks thought it was kosher.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't come up with the idea of drinking sodium hypochlorite to kill the flu virus, because this was mentioned in the previously closed thread.

• Thumbs Up 1