what you do with your house when you are away in thailand?

parafareno

For now I’m keeping my house in the US, unattended and it will remain unattended until I sell it.. Water main off. All electrical appliances off. Keep two lights on. No mold. Friends and neighbors keep an eye on things. 

• Thanks 1

Left my house in the East Midlands (U.K.) unoccupied and locked up for six year's. Of course turned off electricity at the consumer unit, mains gas at the meter and water at the stop tap. Left kitchen sink and bathroom taps on to drain cold water tank.

Couldn't get through the front door for post. No damp/mold and, amazingly, very little dust. There were piles of insects wrapped up by spiders in all corners. I've left the spiders and their webs alone because they're doing such a good job!   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

yada yada yada it was in fact her thai husband

Yep, I was actually saying what you said in a polite way. 

It makes sense to have the bother (Thai husband) living under the same roof.

These Thai girls, at least half the age of the foreigners have very little in common.

Having a companion, similar age and culture gives the girl satisfaction in an awkward relationship 

We in the west would never allow our wife to be in a sexual relationship with another man but we are spoilt.

The Thais being extremely poor and  at times the guys are lazy it's a great outcome 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

13 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, I was actually saying what you said in a polite way. 

It makes sense to have the bother (Thai husband) living under the same roof.

These Thai girls, at least half the age of the foreigners have very little in common.

Having a companion, similar age and culture gives the girl satisfaction in an awkward relationship 

We in the west would never allow our wife to be in a sexual relationship with another man but we are spoilt.

The Thais being extremely poor and  at times the guys are lazy it's a great outcome 

Another one for you on the same lines from a month ago, falang lets the gardener\builder to stay at the house to have sex with the wife, she's 30s, he's 70s,

14 hours ago, parafareno said:

I am afraid to leave my house unattendet when I go to thailand for 6 month during winter....it gets snow and cold I am afraid the inside will get moldy. anybody have any experience with that? Because it will not get heated during winter and I am afraid that when i will come back the mold will be everywhere inside

"I am afraid to leave my house unattendet when I go to thailand for 6 month during winter.."

Where are you...in Greenland, or Tierra Del Fuego...?

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

In USA I had a lovely cottage that closed down easily, but I learned that if nobody lived there for 3 months it was considered abandoned and insurance was not valid. 

I tried letting the wife of the Senior Circuit judge in the county live there for free - and she let her son and GF move in when she was away - they pretty much stole 50% of my stuff... 

That is some very strange home owners insurance policy. I would definitely get a normal one. 

I turn the heat down to 54F ,  leave the gas water heater in vacation mode, close and lock all windows and doors. Turn off and unplug all appliances and leave on a few night lights with sensors. My heating bill is about $30-35Usd and electric about $9/month when away. Leave for 5 1/2 months. This is in New England. I don't understand the " mold " part of your post whatsoever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I turn the heat down to 54F ,  leave the gas water heater in vacation mode, close and lock all windows and doors. Turn off and unplug all appliances and leave on a few night lights with sensors. My heating bill is about $30-35Usd and electric about $9/month when away. Leave for 5 1/2 months. This is in New England. I don't understand the " mold " part of your post whatsoever. 

i am only concerned about the mold, when you leave the house closed and unused without opening the window for longer time, the mold is gonna creep in

7 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Don't be absurd.

Of course you don't leave the heat on all winter when you're gone.

That's insane.

You drain the water pipes before you leave.

Can't break water pipes if they're empty (or almost empty).

I leave my cabin in the mountains with no heat every winter.  Gets down to -20F sometimes.  The water pipes are drained, so no problem.

Anyone that keeps the heat on all winter is a moron. ????

Gordon is a moron.

Depending on how often you intend doing the 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in your home country  and presuming you don't have a partner,why not sell up then you don't have the worry of your house and contents deteriorating, when you want to go back to your home country either rent somewhere or go into a hotel/motel (negotiating a cheaper deal than weekly).

• Thumbs Up 1

Our house in Thailand is in a gated compund so no worries there (he said hopefully) plus the housekeeper comes once a week to check (so she says ???? )

I've got a couple of timeswitches plugged into table lumps that come on during the evening in Europe. Heating I set to low to prevent freezing but otherwise leave it on (switching off all  TV, computer, internet etc devices of course)

On 10/7/2023 at 8:46 AM, parafareno said:

i am only concerned about the mold, when you leave the house closed and unused without opening the window for longer time, the mold is gonna creep in

No it does not. Where in the moldy world do you live?? 

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

No it does not. Where in the moldy world do you live?? 

i was looking to buy one house here in europe austria and when i came in the mold smell was horrid....the owner said that the house was not occupied for few years....it smelled really bad and the windows were open..... so you can never get rid of that mold.....

why are some people heating the house when they are away then?

but on the other hand....i visited a thai family house once in south of thailand and the top rooms smelled moldy...really bad....so it must be humidity in the air too lol

Edited by parafareno
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Don't be absurd.

Of course you don't leave the heat on all winter when you're gone.

That's insane.

You drain the water pipes before you leave.

Can't break water pipes if they're empty (or almost empty).

I leave my cabin in the mountains with no heat every winter.  Gets down to -20F sometimes.  The water pipes are drained, so no problem.

Anyone that keeps the heat on all winter is a moron. ????

We are currently selling a house in the UK.  It's a reasonably large 4000 sq/ft Georgian mansion.  The house is now empty and our insurer has told us to leave the central heating on a low setting. 

On 10/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, parafareno said:

I am afraid to leave my house unattendet when I go to thailand for 6 month during winter....it gets snow and cold I am afraid the inside will get moldy. anybody have any experience with that? Because it will not get heated during winter and I am afraid that when i will come back the mold will be everywhere inside

1. CCTV for security and to watch via a phone or computer app. Something like Arlo or Ezwiz

2. Hire a house managment service company (reliable one) who will come in monthly to clean air the place and you monitor what they do via CCTV on your phone app or computer. Or hire some security company to come over daily

3. no valuables around,

4. look into getting a wifi ventilation system or a smart plug for your aircon-heater (philipps Hue for ex) that you can turn on -off via internet

this works as much as when you are abroad or in Thailand.

good luck

Edited by Sigmund

On 10/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, nglodnig said:

Our house in Thailand is in a gated compund so no worries there (he said hopefully) plus the housekeeper comes once a week to check (so she says ???? )

I've got a couple of timeswitches plugged into table lumps that come on during the evening in Europe. Heating I set to low to prevent freezing but otherwise leave it on (switching off all  TV, computer, internet etc devices of course)

Switch OFF is good...to unplug is better... as even when just put on OFF it does consume electricity, Very little yes, but it does. Get a IP webcam to check if the housekeeper is doing her job.

Edited by Sigmund