Sungai Kolok border: any issues with exiting and re-entering TH on the same day?

Hi,

I will be down in Narathiwat soon.

Given the close proximity to the Malaysian border, I might be tempted to do a "border run" in order to get a new 1 year stamp when crossing back into TH. However, I would only consider doing it if I can walk across the border and then immediately return within 1-2 hours. As I have never done "same day visa runs" I don't know if this quick hop across the border into MY and return back to TH is something that can be easily done or if there are pitfalls with immigration on either side of the border if I tried to do it. 

I´d be grateful to hear from someone who knows this. Thank you!

DUS

1 hour ago, DUS said:

Given the close proximity to the Malaysian border, I might be tempted to do a "border run" in order to get a new 1 year stamp when crossing back into TH.

Since you mention that you will get a new 1-year stamp on re-entering Thailand: 

Are you staying in Thailand on a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa? 

In order to use that Visa on entry you will need to also show a Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy. 

When the validity date of the Non Imm O-A Visa has not yet expired (valid 1 year from date of issuance), you will on entry then receive, either: 

- a 1-year Permission to stay stamp 

OR

- a Permission to stay stamp till  the expiry date of that HI policy

whichever is shortest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Since you mention that you will get a new 1-year stamp on re-entering Thailand: 

Are you staying in Thailand on a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa? 

Thanks for the reply! 

No, I´m on the TE visa.

• Confused 3

There is a walkway on the west side of the bridge. The Thai part is usually blocked but the Malaysian section is ok. Can get busy at times.

The Thai immigration like to enforce the dress code.

If you travel by train there is no mobile phone service until near Had Yai .

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago I went through there and went to Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kota Bharu to get my B visa, the immigration even arranged for a driver to take my there, I did drive from Phuket to SuNgai Kolok but they wouldn't let me though in my car, Immigration guy have friend who is a driver, the driver have friend at embassy we can do in one day, Amazing Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DUS said:

As the OP of this thread, I would like to provide my personal experience after having done the same-day return trip „Narathiwat - Su-Ngai Kolok - Malaysia - Su-Ngai Kolok - Narathiwat, today. Maybe some TV-members will come across this thread at some point in the future and might find the update useful. Even with things constantly changing as always. 🙂  

I left Narathiwat by van at 11:00.

The van dropped me off in front of the border crossing at 12:05.

Exit stamp in the passport and on my way over the bridge at 12:09. Only thing worth mentioning: The officer checking my documents had to check with her superior when I answered one of her questions that I plan to come back into Thailand in a couple of hours. After some checking and deliberations the boss was ok with it.

Entered Malaysia at 12:18 and went for a quick walk around on the other side and had some lunch before making my way back to the border at around 14:30

Exited Malaysia at 14:32

Entry stamp for Thailand in the passport by 15:00. Your are asking why it took so long on the Thai side? Well, first of all the Officer recognised the batch/crest on the polo shirt I was wearing as that of Port Futsal and he loves both the Port Futsal and Football teams. He even made me join him singing a short part of a Port chant before he took my passport. Well, it was certainly helpful to have something in common with an Immigration officer for once. LOL.

The other thing was that when he saw my TE visa, he called me into the back office and he showed it to every colleague there because he said that at this crossing they never see this visa. Some of the officers even took their phones out to take a picture of it. Lots of happy smiling all around , it took them a few more minutes to get the computer system to confirm that I was eligible for a 1 year extension. And after one more Port chant together I was on my way out of the office. Sometimes life is stranger than fiction. :))

Now sitting at the bus station waiting for the van back to Narathiwat.

So, today, it worked perfectly fine for me. The questioning and double-checking of me wanting to return the same day (by the Thai officer when leaving the country), however, is an indication that same day returns might be problematic depending on the officers on duty. At least for visa exempt re-entries. Well, that’s just a guess of course. I also didn’t bother trying an instant return as the Thai immigration officer stressed that I should stay in Malaysia for a few hours before heading back. Not sure if returning immediately within a few minutes would have caused any issues but I surely wasn’t in the mood to find out and get stuck in the end.

So, all‘s well that ends well ….

Most border runners return immediately and they don't have an elite visa, which virtually guarantees re entry. 

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Many years ago I went through there and went to Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kota Bharu to get my B visa, the immigration even arranged for a driver to take my there, I did drive from Phuket to SuNgai Kolok but they wouldn't let me though in my car, Immigration guy have friend who is a driver, the driver have friend at embassy we can do in one day, Amazing Thailand 

Why wouldn't they let you through with your car? Most people who cross the Malaysian border go by car and it's a very straightforward process. Only need the blue book and you're good to go.

10 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Why wouldn't they let you through with your car? Most people who cross the Malaysian border go by car and it's a very straightforward process. Only need the blue book and you're good to go.

Back in them days you  needed a special sticker on your car which was the translation of your number plate in to English and some other document from the transport department also being in English, maybe it's changed these days

On 11/1/2023 at 5:12 AM, ChipButty said:

Back in them days you  needed a special sticker on your car which was the translation of your number plate in to English and some other document from the transport department also being in English, maybe it's changed these days

You can get that done at the border or in advance by contacting one of the many agents that do this (they're all located right near the border). Thai officials don't check that though, it's the Malaysian side that does, but it doesn't seem to be enforced for travel in the immediate border area.

The 20 Baht registration translation is never asked for, unless requested by the JPJ office for issuing the international circulation permit.

I always contact an agent in Sadao a few days ahead of travel and he sends me the insurance document and JPJ paper in time for my trip. If there's not enough time, he'll place it in his mailbox and I would pick it up when I arrive at the border.