I’m having bouts of Anxiety – Need advice .

I have the exact same symptoms any time my extensions are due. When i leave thailand to another country, its gone like snow with full sun.

why? Because all uncertain and potential issues are due to TH.

i know many who have same.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chetzee said:

catastrophic thinking as you describe , is associated with depression and trauma ....  I have been there myself .....        Talking to a psychologist  ( therapist) was for me the most extraordinary experience , and I can genuinely say , that in the course of 18th months he turned my life around and set it on a much clearer path .....    personally I could not recommend Talking therapy  (CBT )more highly .      

As you say ..... chances are a dr . may want to prescribe an anti depressant for a short period to break the cycle that you sound locked in ......    they take about 6 weeks to work ...... and they do  work !     but they are not the answer to your troubles .... but can help bring to you to a place where you are strong enough and UP enough to talk through your issues .......           hope that helps ..... just a bit  ...... 

I should add the my therapist reassured me that " things are rarely aver as bad as they seem"  , and that the only things worth worrying about were those things that I had control over ........  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Captain Disorderly said:

I was wondering if any one here has had any anxiety issues and if so what did you take to help the situation

I had that about twenty years ago so went and saw the doctor who gave me some anti-anxiety pills, forget the name. 

Then I went to another doctor and got him to prescribe me antidepressants. 

Anxiety and depression was reduced to a dull roar so I chalked it up as a win.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, tkramer said:

In my mind I say...'don't over-think it'. I bought Goenk's book after my first retreat (been 4 times), and I found it did not further me to want to partake. 

Like I said...what's 10 days of just sitting and listening with an open mind...

caompared to days, months, years of a 'crazy mind'.

Experiences are like shoes...some fit my feet and some don't. So I can not walk in these...

'next'...!

There is never an experience in life...that you do not learn something from. All valuable stuff.

I've tried to get into sitting meditation many times over the years, but it never suited me at all. Like you mentioned, 'the shoe doesn't fit'.

Qigong, the method I use now is a moving meditation, so I get exercise, breathing and meditation all in one package. It suits me much better. So much so that I've stuck with it for 10 years or more now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of things.

Regarding natural supplements, here are a few worth trying in the order I'd recommend them:

Ashwagandha is an adaptogen and is perhaps the best-known and most effective supplement for those who are suffering from stress and anxiety. Take one capsule / day for a couple of months. It's not a quick fix but within a couple of weeks you should start to feel some relief. If at all possible, try and find the Himalaya brand.

5HTP raises serotonin and is very helpful for staying sleep (as opposed to falling asleep), relieving stress and helping with anxiety.

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. In simple terms, it basically helps you from over-thinking stuff. It also helps with sleep.

Now Foods makes good, inexpensive 5HTP and GABA. All of these supplements are available from iHerb, and may be available on Lazada and Shopee.

Edited by mstevens
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Captain Disorderly said:

Over the past few months Ive started to have bouts of ongoing anxiety , where my mind is constantly racing non stop and thinking about many things in my life. I seem to be fixated and continually worrying about things like money / health / martial situation / Visa / daughter / rising cost of living / growing old at 74 / putting on weight / not sleeping well / Etc Etc .

tackle each problem individually.

you are worring about putting on weight? are you? get a treadmill. 

growing old ... find some literature to prepare yourself for the inevitable, maybe some buddhist texts ...

rising cost of living - be more frugal. read up on minimalism.

marital situation - we have some relationship experts on AN.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you are having severe anxiety.  Especially if it’s interfering with your daily quality of life.  You wife is on the right track.  You don’t have to see a psychiatrist though . You can see a psychologist.  They treat without medication.  Or you can see a counselor.  Such as a social worker. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1