Which cities in Isaan are the most English friendly?

smallchungus

5 minutes ago, smallchungus said:

Ubon didn't look great to me in videos so that one not being mentioned much here either makes it easier to eliminate from my list.  Udon will be my first go to and I will check Nong Khai since it is so close and sounds nice.  I only have 2 weeks on my upcoming trip and Chiang Mai will also be checked out.  Out of Kohn Kaen, Korat, and Buriram, which would you say is the most English friendly?  I want one more on my list to check out.  

From my experience, it would be Khon Kaen.

Given your time available, I would recommend flying into KK, and from there travel onward to Udon and Nong Khai. From Udon you can then fly direct to Chiang Mai. 

Of course you can do the opposite, flying from CM to Udon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Beware that most and certainly the larger Thai cities are 'concrete jungle' except when you are staying in the 'old part' of town.  But as you would be living outside the city in a rural environment, and only want a large city near-by for shopping and occasional visits, you actually have a much larger choice depending on the max distance to a large city and region of your liking.

Instead of the 4 Isaan Biggies (Udon, KK, Korat & Ubon) you could imo also consider Surin, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Roi Et, Loei and NongBua Lamphu. 

I would recommend that before making a choice, that you do the Grand Tour of Isaan (would take you some 1-2 months) and get the flavor of each place.  A tour could be starting in Khorat, then Eastwards to Buriram, Surin and Ubon Ratchathani.  Then going North upstream the Mekhong to Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom and NongKai.  Then West again to Udon Thani, NongBua Lamphu, Loei (and ChiangKhan).  Finally going down again to KhonKaen and RoiEt.  

And you will find that each part of Isaan has its distinct flavor and charm. 

Success in finding it out!

Most of those towns are dead boring with crap food.

The OP should check out Chiang Rai or Prachuap, Hua Hin.

Roi Et has an airport. Not sure why you would live there though.

• Thumbs Up 2

My advice to you mate.  Rural Thailand is nothing like Rural USA - not even on the same planet.  But I also agree with you in regards to Pattaya etc.  There are Expats in all the main Isaan Cities, but unlike in other parts of Thailand, most of them are not Sexpats who you want to avoid at all costs. Many of them are blokes who may have started out that way here, but they grew up and started a long term relationship with an Isaan girl in Bangkok, Pattaya etc., and then they moved there. There are also those Expats that got hooked by a bar girl and he thinks she will always love him - bla bla bla.  If you are looking for somewhere to go as a single and then maybe find an Isaan girl, my advice to you is to be very very careful - you will stand out like a Bulldog's balls and you will become a 'target' for the 'not so good' Isaan girls.  May I suggest that you go to Chiang Mai first and whist there, start getting used to the Thai culture - and stay single.  Chiang Mai aint Isaan, but it is a lot closer to the 'real' rural Thailand of Isaan than Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Samui or Phuket etc.  Once you have 'adjusted' in Chaing Mai then go to each of those Cities you mentioned, for at least 2 weeks each, to get a feel of the place and see if you like it.  PS - never buy a property in Thailand - rent (easy to move or get away). 

On a broader note, English is everywhere in Thailand - but it is not spoken everywhere. The street signs are in Thai and English. The Thai ID Cards are in both - as are many other Government Docs. Most Thai websites have an English option.  Rural farmers in Isaan tend to not speak English much, while the Doctor in Bangkok will speak fluent English.  Many Issan girls go to work in the big cities where tourists are - some start working in the 'bar girl' industry, but most do not. Avoid bar girls unless you just want them for a short period of time, and absolutely you must stay away from any girl that was a bar girl. Do your research. Take your time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smallchungus said:

I'm hoping to find a long term relationship.  Pattaya feels like a bad choice for this, especially with the high concentration of other farangs as competition as well as the reputation that may come along with being a farang there.  Chiang Mai looks great to me as well.  Pretty much all I care about in a city is good food with access to good healthcare and the ability to speak to the Thais there to make some homies.  Growing up rural I think is what has attracted me to Isaan girls.  I like country girls in general.

Start learning Thai, this will greatly improve the amount of people you will be able to talk to.

How dry is Isaan?  I had to move away from Colorado because it was so bone dry.  It made me constantly have to clear my throat.  I missed trees and green a lot.  Water shortages scare me to death if that makes a difference.

Edited by smallchungus
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, smallchungus said:

How dry is Isaan?  I had to move away from Colorado because it was so bone dry.  Water shortages scare me to death if that makes a difference.

It will vary. Dec to April is dry season.

Why you pick Isaan?

Really not much to do there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

And you will find that each part of Isaan has its distinct flavor and charm. 

All brown and dusty????

Most of the cities yes, but the OP is looking to stay in a rural place, with a near-by city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer555 said:

For healthcare, I would rate Khon Kaen as first with Udon second.

The smoke in CM can be very unhealthy  for extended periods of time, with Isaan now having bad smoke in some areas depending on proximity to Laos, geography and wind patterns.

It is up to each person to determine their own tolerance level. 

Totally agree! Khon Kaen has great Government and private hospital choices. University dental hospital is great too according to reports although I haven't been treated there myself as yet. I live 60km South of the City. Convenient for rail and coach travel. No smoke problems during the six year's I've lived here.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smallchungus said:

How dry is Isaan?  I had to move away from Colorado because it was so bone dry.  Water shortages scare me to death if that makes a difference.

I lived in Texas and have a best friend in Colorado, Fort Collins. Here there is two seasons, which I don't like. Prefer 4. Rainy season in most areas, rains almost every day, can be annoying . Dry season, hot, no rain for months at times, like Texas but higher humidity here (besides Houston and the coast). It's not like Colorado in any way. Hot, hot and more hot, only a couple months that are cooler , mostly in the early morning and evenings. Northern Thailand is cooler but still gets hot most days. Average 77 Fahrenheit. Khon Kaen 64-96 F. Korat 65-97F. Ubon Ratchathani 66-96F.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I lived in Texas and have a best friend in Colorado, Fort Collins. Here there is two seasons, which I don't like. Prefer 4. Rainy season in most areas, rains almost every day, can be annoying . Dry season, hot, no rain for months at times, like Texas but higher humidity here (besides Houston and the coast). It's not like Colorado in any way. Hot, hot and more hot, only a couple months that are cooler , mostly i the early morning and evenings. Northern Thailand is cooler but still gets hot most days. Average 77 Fahrenheit. Khon Kaen 64-96 F. Korat 65-97F. Ubon Ratchathani 66-96F.

Agree on having a liking for 4 seasons. However, post retirement age I experience pain in my extremeties during U.K. Winter. No pain whatsoever whilst in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree on having a liking for 4 seasons. However, post retirement age I experience pain in my extremeties during U.K. Winter. No pain whatsoever whilst in Thailand. 

I've heard about UK winters, the damp cold. I lived in New Jersey my first 30 years and moved to Texas to escape that too long winter nonsense, although I miss some of it. Texas was usually hot, but got cold some days from October to February. New Jersey had some beautiful months, especially May, June and October.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smallchungus said:

Thanks for all the replies.  Is healthcare decent in all these places or are the "big four" going to be best for that?  Udon is sounding pretty good for English as well as access to Western restaurants if farangs are there.  Is it possible to stay through smoke season in a place like Chiang Mai or is it as bad as they say?

KK has the Queen Sirikit Heart Center which is, apparently, pretty renowned in Thailand - +1 for KK.

https://www.kku.ac.th/gateways-for/student/medical-services/queen-sirikit-heart-center

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Mae Hong Son is rural. Nan is rural

Nan has an airport too.

From later posts it seems that the OP is not limiting his search for a nice rural place in Thailand close to a big-city. 

So yes, he could also consider North Thailand with several very nice places.  

Mae Hong Song and Nan are both in a rural setting and very beautiful.

One thing to take into consideration when opting for North-Thailand is the dreadful burning season in months January to March, with record-breaking Air-pollution which makes life almost unbearable in Chiang-Rai, Chiang Mai and even some lower laying provinces . 

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Khon Kaen has few farangs

Udon Thani has the most

Nong Khai is nicer though

Khorat is like a smaller Bangkok

Ubon is crap

Buriram is crap

Nong Khai - they don't speak English. Udon Thani - friendly people, whose English is definitely better than that of people in Nong Khai.

Khon Kaen, Khorat, Ubon, Buriram - can't comment.

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

Nong Khai - they don't speak English. Udon Thani - friendly people, whose English is definitely better than that of people in Nong Khai.

Khon Kaen, Khorat, Ubon, Buriram - can't comment.

I found English in Nong Khai to be ok.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retarius said:

All equally unfriendly. No Thai's speak English apart from the very odd one. No one in the shops speak any English, only bar girls can manage limited conversation. 

They mostly speak Thai in Thailand. Funny that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1