Which cities in Isaan are the most English friendly?

smallchungus

14 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

KK has the Queen Sirikit Heart Center which is, apparently, pretty renowned in Thailand - +1 for KK.

https://www.kku.ac.th/gateways-for/student/medical-services/queen-sirikit-heart-center

Can confirm most definitely! My Thai mother-in-law received better treatment (according to her) at Queen Sirikit Heart Center in Khon Kaen (Government hospital) than she did privately at Bangkok Hospital. 

CM and Chiang Rai are not Isaan.  If you are looking for Isaan girls these 2 places I would not recommend.  They are mostly white skin girls with attitudes from my experience.  Maybe a few, but mostly not interested in meeting up with Farang, especially older Farang.  But, go check them out best to experience as much a possible.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Check out Loei (and ChiangKhan) and NongBua Lamphu, they are on the way from Chiang-Rai to Udon Thani, and personally I like them more than Udon...

I agree, I live alone in Nong Bua Lamphu province on 3.5 rai of gardens with a Baan Suan style home that I own. 

I enjoy this lifestyle, it is close to the provincial cities for shopping etc. and airport access. 

Maybe not the best way to start but an option after getting acclimated to Thailand. 

Edited by Wanderer555
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, smallchungus said:

How dry is Isaan?  I had to move away from Colorado because it was so bone dry.  It made me constantly have to clear my throat.  I missed trees and green a lot.  Water shortages scare me to death if that makes a difference.

It is a large area with different geographical influences though not as extreme as Colorado. 

Where I live, I have many large trees, banana plants and more water than I need in rainy season.  It does get hot and dry February to June but it is ok. 

Some areas such as Buriram, Surin are much drier and barren from what I have experienced.

Before I moved to Thailand I was living in the Colorado high country. 

Where are you from in Colorado?

Edited by Wanderer555
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Wanderer555 said:

It is a large area with different geographical influences though not as extreme as Colorado. 

Where I live, I have many large trees, banana plants and more water than I need in rainy season.  It does get hot and dry February to June but it is ok. 

Some areas such as Buriram, Surin are much drier and barren from what I have experienced.

Before I moved to Thailand I was living in the Colorado high country. 

Where are you from in Colorado?

I moved back to the eastern half of the US but I was in Colorado Springs

OP suggest you take a holiday for 2-3 weeks before making any decisions about moving to Thailand. You don’t want to throw yourself in and dislike it. 

in bars you’ll, find English speaking mostly Expats and some staff. Personally I wouldn’t live my life as an Expat bar fan cause it’s same same … rinse wash a repeat.

Udon and Chang Mai would be a choice for starters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

OP suggest you take a holiday for 2-3 weeks before making any decisions about moving to Thailand. You don’t want to throw yourself in and dislike it. 

in bars you’ll, find English speaking mostly Expats and some staff. Personally I wouldn’t live my life as an Expat bar fan cause it’s same same … rinse wash a repeat.

Udon and Chang Mai would be a choice for starters. 

Maybe that would be a better idea. Focus on the cities that would make it easiest to get acquainted with Thailand and the most likely first place I would live.  I will probably check Hua Hin as well as an escape from smoke season spot so land in BKK, go to Hua Hin for like 2 days, go back to BKK to fly to Chiang Mai, then fly to Udon Thani.

3 hours ago, smallchungus said:

Maybe that would be a better idea. Focus on the cities that would make it easiest to get acquainted with Thailand and the most likely first place I would live.  I will probably check Hua Hin as well as an escape from smoke season spot so land in BKK, go to Hua Hin for like 2 days, go back to BKK to fly to Chiang Mai, then fly to Udon Thani.

Good plan. Try southern Hua Hin.

On 10/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'd say Udon would be a place to start.

I agree, Nong Kai is only 50 km up the road, easy to get to (train, bus or taxi). Nong Kai is quieter and I would say more English per quota 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:54 PM, smallchungus said:

Thanks for all the replies.  Is healthcare decent in all these places or are the "big four" going to be best for that?  Udon is sounding pretty good for English as well as access to Western restaurants if farangs are there.  Is it possible to stay through smoke season in a place like Chiang Mai or is it as bad as they say?

Air pollution is a risk factor for not only lung diseases such as emphysema and lung cancer, but for heart disease, stroke, and dementia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:54 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Isaan? 

That's a region of Thailand. Not a language.

There are many languages in Isaan. 

Isaan Laos, Khmer, Gui, Thai Korat....to name a few.

yes there are, but a good 70% speak Laos...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, smallchungus said:

I'm potentially moving to Thailand in the coming years and Isaan girls sound lovely to be around.  I grew up in rural USA so Isaan has caught my interest (I will probably live just outside the city).  I've been looking between the big four cities of Isaan (Udon Thani, KK, Korat, and Ubon Ratchatani) as well as Buriram and Nong Khai.  Out of these which would be the best for an English only speaker?  Having some of the signage or menus with English would be a huge help as well as some English ability amongst the people who live there.  Which of these should I probably avoid as far as lack of English goes?  Thanks a bunch for any input.

How about learning some Thai and not arriving here just to objectify the women?

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Hundreds of thousands of people live in Chiang Mai and stay in smokey season so I guess possible.

I been living here 10 years and this year is the first the smoke has affected me (knowingly) with stinging eyes. Other than that not a problem for me.

Yet last year, 12,000+ Thais ended up hospitalized.  
Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect anyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shetraveler said:

Yet last year, 12,000+ Thais ended up hospitalized.  
Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect anyone.

Did I say it didn't? And thats why I specifically mentioned me. I know it affects some people.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:16 PM, bignok said:

Ubon has direct flights to Phuket with Air Asia and Nok flies to Chiang Mai.

Since I live close to Ubon and want to fly to Phuket for holiday in october I have searched for a direct flight, but can't find any.

Can you help me with where you see a direct flight?

In former years I have used NOK Air I think, but can't find any companies now.