Which cities in Isaan are the most English friendly?

smallchungus

3 hours ago, kenjinuk said:

Central Thai is taught in all schools. BUT when the children go home, stay with family, visit Yai and Khon neighbours, they will speak and hear Isaan. When the author visits his Isaan gf, as expected my suggestion is to learn some handy Isaan phrases and words.

He'll need to know which province, district, sub district he'll be staying in first.

That way he'll know from which Isaan language he should pick up some phrases and words.

Failing that, Thai will work equally as well.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, VinnieK said:

'English' and 'Thailand' should never be mentioned in the same sentence unless the word 'abysmal' is present also..

I have been here for only 6 years and I've seen many locals speaking very good English, including my girlfriend, friend's wives and especially the man I work part time for, an English school owner. Throughout those years, I have been to places where others have spoken to me, hearing me talk beforehand in English, and I've had conversations with them, and they spoke very well. Many have the desire to learn it, and it can help then in jobs involving tourism, banks and other businesses that deal with foreigners. Many others don't care at all about learning a new language, which happens back in America also. English is a universal language, and it serves well in many facets of life. It's just that some aren't interested in furthering their education, at least as far as another language is concerned. They don't see it as potential.