Famous Thai rock band Carabao to disband in March

snoop1130

I first heard the band when I was in Thailand in 1983...   the 'flute' on the intro of their song MADE IN THAILAND sort've reminded of Jethro Tull...   and that song will always remind me of those early days in Thailand. I have a cassette and CD of that particular album.

However, apart from the memories of that song/album, I began to think into the 90's that the band was too political, a sort've Thai version of Midnight Oil.

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

still, by any standard they suck. i dont know the lyrics so cannot judge them by that. bob dylan's voice sucked, but his music was great. as for caribou, even the music is not enticing. no accounting for taste. where i dont even understand sometimes why people like some of the bands from where i come from. only one who really ever made it was celine dion and i dont like her. @proton summed it up best. carabao is sold out to the institution...

cant please everyone. at least Big Nok is happy

Just your miserable opinion

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pouatchee said:

geeez you really are a troll who gets no sleep. you just staying up drinking coffee trolling an? ya really need a life

Still no capital letters and posting on a topic that you think "sucks"

How many times do you have to tell us?

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

I first heard the band when I was in Thailand in 1983...   the 'flute' on the intro of their song MADE IN THAILAND sort've reminded of Jethro Tull...   and that song will always remind me of those early days in Thailand. I have a cassette and CD of that particular album.

However, apart from the memories of that song/album, I began to think into the 90's that the band was too political, a sort've Thai version of Midnight Oil.

Too political, can you give an example? Not political enough, but not surprising from a yellow shirt and member of the elite (he was never poor) posing as working class and looking like a tuk tuk driver. Where are all the songs about real social injustice, poverty, corruption, slaughter of students and protesters or the wrongs of 112 law? 

1 hour ago, proton said:

Too political, can you give an example? Not political enough, but not surprising from a yellow shirt and member of the elite (he was never poor) posing as working class and looking like a tuk tuk driver. Where are all the songs about real social injustice, poverty, corruption, slaughter of students and protesters or the wrongs of 112 law? 

famously spoken out against sugary energy drinks hooking in the poor, getting them addicted on that stuff, yet decades later would open one with the brand in his image 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bignok said:

Sounds like an old woman

At least he does not knock them about while on hard drugs, like the one hit wonder Loso, who many here seem to think of as a Thai super star ????

Edited by proton
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, proton said:

Ask any Thai ADULT that enjoys the lukthung genre what they think of the band.

If you could speak fluent Thai you could pick the double meanings in some of their lines.

I said "too political" and you said "not political enough"..."not surprising from a yellow shirt"..

I said TOO POLITICAL and you're actually agreeing with me in your provoking, argumentative way. If a yellow shirt isn't a political activist, I don't know what is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Ask any Thai ADULT that enjoys the lukthung genre what they think of the band.

If you could speak fluent Thai you could pick the double meanings in some of their lines.

I said "too political" and you said "not political enough"..."not surprising from a yellow shirt"..

I said TOO POLITICAL and you're actually agreeing with me in your provoking, argumentative way. If a yellow shirt isn't a political activist, I don't know what is!

I don't know any luktung fans that like them, phua chee wit, it's a completely different genre. You said they were too political, can you name 4 songs that were 'too political'?

Edited by proton

20 hours ago, proton said:

I don't know any luktung fans that like them, phua chee wit, it's a completely different genre. You said they were too political, can you name 4 songs that were 'too political'?

I'm unsure of their correct titles but I can sing you a few lines and maybe you'll recognize them and give me the correct song titles.

And they are definitely Lukthung or Morlam (Country). 

Perhaps calling them a "protest" band is more accurate, and whether they're protesting against the right or wrong side of politics is a matter of personal opinion.

They are lucky enough to have the talent to express their opinion in the form of music.

Anyway, you say they're not political enough so what are you bitching about?  The fact that they supported the Yellow Shirts?

6 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

I'm unsure of their correct titles but I can sing you a few lines and maybe you'll recognize them and give me the correct song titles.

And they are definitely Lukthung or Morlam (Country). 

Perhaps calling them a "protest" band is more accurate, and whether they're protesting against the right or wrong side of politics is a matter of personal opinion.

They are lucky enough to have the talent to express their opinion in the form of music.

Anyway, you say they're not political enough so what are you bitching about?  The fact that they supported the Yellow Shirts?

Clueless I can assure you they have never sung either luktung or morlam, they were and remained a phua cheewit band which became more rack later on. They are fakes posing as protest singers with ad posing as working class to complete the illusion, while grovelling to the oppressors of the working class. 

21 hours ago, proton said:

Clueless I can assure you they have never sung either luktung or morlam, they were and remained a phua cheewit band which became more rack later on. They are fakes posing as protest singers with ad posing as working class to complete the illusion, while grovelling to the oppressors of the working class. 

You are obviously not Thai...   ask a Thai person!

You should stop arguing while you're still behind.

In your case, better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, than to upload more posts about this topic and remove all doubt!

Check out either their all-green coloured CD (title cover insert)  or the one with the Thai Flag (on the title cover insert).

1 hour ago, bangkok19 said:

In your case, better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, than to upload more posts about this topic and remove all doubt!

Check out either their all-green coloured CD (title cover insert)  or the one with the Thai Flag (on the title cover insert).

Well I might not be Thai but have been going to concerts for over 26 years, more than 1200 of them as well as all the recording companies, Tv shows, singing competitions and holidays with singers. Here you are pretending you know what you are talking about when you cannot tell the difference between luktung, morlam and phua cheewit and recommending albums you cannot even say the names of.

One time at a M105 concert I gave Sunaree Rachesima a mali on stage and she heard a negative comment, she told the crowd that I knew more about Thai music than most of them, so no I don't have to ask any Thais about this. I did mention them retiring to the Mrs, she said about time as well! 

Edited by proton

2 hours ago, proton said:

Well I might not be Thai but have been going to concerts for over 26 years, more than 1200 of them as well as all the recording companies, Tv shows, singing competitions and holidays with singers. Here you are pretending you know what you are talking about when you cannot tell the difference between luktung, morlam and phua cheewit and recommending albums you cannot even say the names of.

One time at a M105 concert I gave Sunaree Rachesima a mali on stage and she heard a negative comment, she told the crowd that I knew more about Thai music than most of them, so no I don't have to ask any Thais about this. I did mention them retiring to the Mrs, she said about time as well! 

Sunaree had the voice of an angel. At a concert at Wat In in 1992, a few months after Phum Puang's death, someone in the crowd called out for ' World of Pheung' Phum Puang's hit. 

Sunaree sang it unaccompanied, her beautiful voice carrying across the temple's roof tops.

Years later she took up with a Dutch lad if I remember right. She should have chosen me, a penniless English teacher.... it's not too late. 555.

Sorry, back to the topic, Carabao. 

I saw them back around the time of the first Gulf War at a free peace concert in Lumpini park. They were greatly enhanced by a long haired American singer with a powerful voice. Aed's vocals were always weak 

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Sunaree had the voice of an angel. At a concert at Wat In in 1992, a few months after Phum Puang's death, someone in the crowd called out for ' World of Pheung' Phum Puang's hit. 

Sunaree sang it unaccompanied, her beautiful voice carrying across the temple's roof tops.

Years later she took up with a Dutch lad if I remember right. She should have chosen me, a penniless English teacher.... it's not too late. 555.

Sorry, back to the topic, Carabao. 

I saw them back around the time of the first Gulf War at a free peace concert in Lumpini park. They were greatly enhanced by a long haired American singer with a powerful voice. Aed's vocals were always weak 

She broke up with the Dutch guy some time ago. Not seen her at a concert for a few years but she's often a judge on singing comps on the Tv.

17 hours ago, proton said:

...you still here?

19 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

You're saying that Caribou isn't Lukthung because of your so-called experience in the Thai music industry?!?!  You certainly are a slow learner!   You can "name drop" all you want (re Sunaree) but that doesn't help the fact that you got this one wrong! 

I said in my first post that Caribou was Lukthung..   you disagreed.

I'm outta here 'cos I WIN!

I'll let ChatGP have the final say.Screenshot_2023-10-17-07-04-22-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.98ace535e17549f2a4925c08a295b68a.jpgScreenshot_2023-10-17-07-04-22-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.98ace535e17549f2a4925c08a295b68a.jpg

Chat GPT? are you that desperate to try and appear to know what you are talking about, pathetic, you are ignorant and wrong but just won't admit it. I bet you have some really interesting arguments with those closest to you! I could quote real sources like John Clewley who wrote for the Bangkok Post and the Thai section in world music, or Professor James Mitchell who has a Phd in Thai music history. Both would agree with me that Carabao are phua chee wit and do not play luktung and morlam, actually the idea is laughable, but you would say they were wrong as well and your GPT nonsense is right!

Edited by proton