Family Holiday Turns Tragic: 8 Dead and 3 Critically Injured in Horrific Accident

webfact

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the photo's the road looks very rural, but in good condition, I don't see any potholes etc.

There are no pictures in the OP that enable that observation to be made apart from a couple of metres shown alongside a rescue vehicle!

From what can be seen of the road in the available photo's, the condition of the road looks decent. 

You can assume there was a huge pot hole out of shot if it makes you feel better.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then, in these discussions 'some' don't want to discuss possibilities if it wasn't mentioned in the article instead rigidly sticking to only what was written (often very poorly written).

Then there are some who want to make "observations" about situations, such as the state of the road, with nothing being observable.

MY observations from the photos and article. 

- Road looks decent, but a narrow rural road.

- Pickup was loaded with people.

- Pickup was speeding and over taking.

Assumption - IF there was a blowout, it was likely due to under-inflated tyres. 

It's just an assumption, but one I suspect probable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow...horrific and yes, a horrendous tragedy.

BUT.. as other posters have already mentioned, there were surely contributing factors here which would point the finger of accountability at the driver / owner of the vehicle...

Firstly - the condition of the tyres, over inflated, old, cracked ??... I very much doubt the tyres were new and at the correct presures.

... and yes, I check the type pressures on our car and on my motorcycle regularly (there is rarely any drift beyond 2-3 psi), I also changed the car tyres after 4 years because they were showing signs of age. 

Secondly - No seatbelts & overloading pickup trucks piling people in the flat bed of the truck, this is illegal, yet there have been so many confusing contradictory announcements by authorities that they will then won't penalise people drivers for having people in the flat bed. 

Thirdly - Speed, was the driver going recklessly fast with so many people in his truck which was clearly in less than 'drivable' condition ?

-----

I'm sure we'll read a few 'special' comments that the 'article' didn't mention the condition of the tyres or the speed the vehicle was going etc.... of course the above comments are assumptions, but they are assumptions based on every-day observations here in Thailand and thus present an element of probability which edges towards likelihood. 

And as for this comment... I couldn't agree more.... 

Yet more completely avoidable carnage which isn't a one-off horrific event but a daily occurrence in most provinces throughout the nation - The repeated needless and avoidable deaths of so many in our 'adopted country' is heartbreaking...   

I really wish authorities in Thailand cared more about its population to trigger them into actively taking control of this situation. 

And of course, the inanimate tree was in the wrong place. 

Just now, KannikaP said:

And of course, the inanimate tree was in the wrong place. 

Obviously in this case, it was a rural road... 

But, in many other examples the signs, posts etc on the sides are the roads are positioned so poorly that when someone makes a 'mistake' the consequences are devastating.....

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously in this case, it was a rural road... 

But, in many other examples the signs, posts etc on the sides are the roads are positioned so poorly that when someone makes a 'mistake' the consequences are devastating.....

A mistake like poor tyres, speeding, no seat belts, playing on the phone or texting, sleepiness and passengers in the flat back.

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Even more important! Did they wear seatbelts? Was the Toyota made to transport 11 people? How many was sitting outside together with the cargo? As a last question, how quick where they driving?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If we were to have any discussion up to your standards then they would be held in a court room with access only to undisputed facts - this is not the case on a forum which is specifically designed for discussion.

Although its clear from all of your posts (on every thread) that you are unable to arrive at any conclusion of your own instead rigidly believing anything written in what is often a poorly written article very thin on information, others are capable of 'making assumptions' based on experience and information....   

I also suppose bias comes into it... and my bias is that when there is a pickup loaded with people travelling at speed, its usually driven by someone who isn't particularly careful or fastidious about safety, especially in a country where safety its not a priority...    So, assumptions can be drawn for the purposes of discussion... 

You clearly do not like people discussing these assumptions and are only willing to discuss what is written in an article, yet you forget that what often is written in an article is often someone else's assumption or interpretation of what has happened....

IF you only want RIP comments, you should perhaps start reading obituaries, if you don't want discussion read the news... 

All legitimate questions and the answers are well-known.

• Like 1

Thailand might have people who want to put laws in place to stop this, but the poor are a very large voting population and will not vote for a Government that tells them they can't have one vehicle for hauling good and their large families.   

Try telling a poor Thai that if he wants to take 12 people somewhere they need 3 cars with seatbelts and the cars need new tires every 4 years.  

Never going to happen.