Palestinian-Americans stuck in Gaza say they feel trapped, abandoned by US Embassy

Social Media

image.png

As bombs rained down on Gaza Monday, Palestinian-Americans visiting or living there said they were desperately trying to find ways out of the region but have received little or no support from US Embassy officials, even though they are US citizens.

They said they were told by the embassy that routes out of the Gaza Strip had been narrowed down to one: A passage though Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, which reportedly had been closed for a period of time Monday because of bombing.

“U.S. citizens in Gaza who wish to leave and can do so safely are advised to check the status of the Rafah Crossing into Egypt,” the US Embassy in Jerusalem said in a security alert on Monday.

Said Shaath, 64, of Fresno, California, who is currently working in the humanitarian sector in Gaza, said embassy officials told one of his cousins to make his way to the Egypt border crossing if he could do so safely.

“I don’t know what ‘safely’ means? We are living in Rimal, it’s very risky to drive all the way to south Rafah terminal,” he said. “This is not secure because along the way there is a chance that you will be targeted,” given the constant barrage of Israeli airstrikes. Under normal circumstances, the drive from Rimal to the Rafah crossing can take up to an hour.

A CNN reporter on the phone with Shaath could hear loud explosions from the bombardment throughout the call.

FULL STORY

image.jpeg.8cc4dd66bc37851fb61c912d6651869d.jpeg

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Maybe, but if that's where your Mom and Dad live...

I'm sure we'll never get the data, but in the interest of full transparency it would be interesting to know how many American citizens will be killed by Israeli bombs.

I understand the dilemma, was referring more as to how far those the US responsibility for citizens go, in case of such warnings. Maybe legally not obliged to do anything, bur morally and from a PR point of view, it's different.

On the contrary, because there are not that many foreigners or dual citizenship holders in the Gaza Strip, such information is usually out pretty quick. You can bet that the Hamas facilitates such reports, for the extra cookie points they imply on the PR front.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:05 AM, impulse said:

I'm sure we'll never get the data, but in the interest of full transparency it would be interesting to know how many American citizens will be killed by Israeli bombs.

And to be fair 

how many American were killed by the Bombs of Humas. 

And how many Americans were kidnapped by Humas murder and beheaded so far. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/12/2023 at 11:05 AM, impulse said:

Good question. We DO know that 29 Americans were murdered by Hamas terrorists. And 15 are being held as hostages.  Love to see the Biden Plan to free them...

• Like 1