VPN service expats use in Thailand

docinbangkok

5 hours ago, bobbin said:

My issue has not been addressed here yet and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

All I want at present is a VPN for Android mobiles... that does not require using a credit card to enroll. Just don't want to do that..

Options include, purchasing through Lazada for cash, purchasing from Google Play Store paying with my AIS balance, or purchasing at a phone shop with the assistance of staff, i.e. they purchase and install on my behalf. The Lazada option is not as promising as you might think.. lots of options for computers but few for Android mobiles.

The other problem I'm encountering, on Play Store is when I review the main contenders, most mentioned here, is the amount of negative reviews. People saying that battery management is continually killing the VPN or it just doesn'tt work often. The Tech supports for the various companies answer often but usually just saying to contact them.. Often getting replies saying they have already done that..

Not very confidence inspiring.

A VPN is not specific to any operating system, its a server.

I just took a look on Lazada, I didnt even know you could pay a sub through Lazada. idk why you wouldn't pay through regular means, but if you want to remain anonymous, then pay through crypto.

I think you are saying that certain VPN helper apps drain your battery, right? This is because they are free VPN and are constantly phoning home with your data, whereabouts, etc. If you purchase a VPN subscription mentioned here, you can turn it on and off manually, I use an iPhone, and when loading the helper app, the iPhone adopts the credentials for the VPN and can be toggled on and off.

As mentioned, individual users have specific requirements from a VPN, some use them for banking, privacy, to access geolocked video content - maybe someone can suggest something that can assist you, but you needn't look for a specific android VPN.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

A mix of price, reliability and speed. Both Mullvad and Proton offer great value for money, top-notch security features and are very fast. I'm currently using Mullvad because it costs only 5€/m (flat rate) and recently added a protection against quantum attacks on their Wireguard servers but frankly if you want an all-in-one offer (vpn, encrypted mail, encrypted cloud, etc...), Proton would probably be a better option.

As for my experience with the 3 you mentioned. I've been with ExpressVPN and NordVPN. ExpressVPN is too expensive for what it has to offer and NordVPN has pretty average performances and is too big for its own good.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks for responding.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Also cyber Monday coming up next month I believe. VPN providers will offer great deals for sure.

Good time to be shopping for a VPN service and/or deciding what ones to renew.

Last few years, just as Amazon has been expanding their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, it seems a lot of the major VPN providers have been starting their promotions up to a month or so ahead of the big days...

Will have to see whether that pans out the same this year...as we head toward the end of October.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good time to be shopping for a VPN service and/or deciding what ones to renew.

Last few years, just as Amazon has been expanding their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, it seems a lot of the major VPN providers have been starting their promotions up to a month or so ahead of the big days...

Will have to see whether that pans out the same this year...as we head toward the end of October.

Good to know. Thanks :)

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

Not true, i use Netflix together with express vpn on my fire-tv stick. And no problem at all.

What is true is Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have taken tech steps in recent years that have made it increasingly hard to use their services via VPNs...

When that first started, a lot of VPN providers were basically locked out... But over time, various of them have adjusted to get back in the game...

But still, sometimes, it can be a hit or miss proposition as to whether any particular individual VPN server is going to work with either of them. A lot more problematic than it used to be.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1