Headlights going yellow.

quake

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

OK, up to you, but I would have thought that a good rub every time you clean the car would do the job.

As long as it is not the actual plastic which is yellowing, in which case replacement is the only solution.

This has got to be a very long, confusing post, started by someone who simply cannot be bothered to clean the lights himself.

To be fair, it's not so much the cleaning, it's the way the cleaning is done, the plastic headlights get minute scratches which overtime turn dull, they can be machine polished out but they then need a protection coating, lacquer was always my go too before nano technology came into the auto trade.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

They do sell anti fogging spray---I have even seen it in DIY....very cheap...... also as already posted I have seen the tooth paste used on Youtube.....seems to do the trick.

How does an anti fogging spray help with plastic headlights that have yellowed ?

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I was replying to your anti fogging suggestion.... which was/is a useless suggestion.

Dont post dumb <deleted> and you wont be called on it.

The Product in DIY is called anti fogging for headlights--- looking at YouTube again they now have another idea Baking Soda.

How does that work....oh I dont ...lets go ask someone................:w00t:

On 10/12/2023 at 1:57 PM, quake said:

Yes, that would be good if I can find a place to do it.

to that standard. 

Anyone ?

I you buy one of the kits that are readily available on Ebay in the UK so I'm sure will be available in Thailand on sites such as Lazada, the UV clearcoat should be included in the kit.

If there's a place in Pattaya that will clean your lights for 100 baht, you could get that done several times for the price of a kit.

However, if you find a cure for your laziness, the entire job will take you no longer than 30 minutes using a battery powered drill.

Edit: I just found the exact same kit on Lazada as I have used several times in the UK.  There are several amazingly cheap kits available there - some seem way too cheap to be effective, I know not.

Kit.jpg

Edited by MangoKorat

A lot of arguing going on about how and why.  Toothpaste will indeed do the job to a certain extent but if the condition is bad, it can take a while.

Any abrasive polish/similar will do the job but they all leave minute scratches behind which can leave the headlights dull and cause the problem to return quite quickly.  To remedy this, once the yellowing has been removed, the lights should be polished with increasingly fine grades of polish until they are OK and then sealed with either UV sealer or a good quality silicone based coating.

22 hours ago, connda said:

Based on safety alone?  Buy a new set of good lights.

Totally unnecessary and completely unsustainable. An excellent repair can be easily achieved which is completely safe and long lasting.

We have to stop the throw away culture and get back to repairing things.  Its good for the planet and good for jobs.

Apart from which, have you ever checked the price of replacement headlights?  For some cars it can be many thousands of baht!

Edited by MangoKorat

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

To remedy this, once the yellowing has been removed, the lights should be polished with increasingly fine grades of polish until they are OK and then sealed with either UV sealer or a good quality silicone based coating.

Flame polish works a treat... need to be careful though.