Thailand boosts tourism with free SIM cards and digital privileges for visitors

webfact

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The initiative is designed to attract international tourists by offering them Amazing Thailand SIM cards

Seriously now? They will be attracted to come to Thailand because they won't have to pay the usual 50 baht for a SIM card anymore?

The only catch being that the upcoming "tourist entry fee" will more than wipe out that enormous saving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

Most of what you listed has nothing to do with tourist, your issues are primarily aimed at expats living in country. 

People first come as tourists before wanting to settle down, so it is all connected. No to mention tourists are also often related or friends of with expats or retirees living in Thailand. It's often connected.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

Its never been US institutions or pension funds buying up property and industries in other countries. You need to just look north for your answer to that issue. 

You are referring to the largent pension in Norway. But sorry to say, but Blackrock that is a US institutionnal fund has multiple portfolios to manage the funds from a large array of US pension funds as well as others. So it not not directly the pension funds purchasing but those who manage their funds...can you make the difference if I may kindly ask ?

20 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

People first come as tourists before wanting to settle down, so it is all connected. No to mention tourists are also often related or friends of with expats or retirees living in Thailand. It's often connected.

Tourist issues are not the same as expats issues

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

You are referring to the largent pension in Norway. But sorry to say, but Blackrock that is a US institutionnal fund has multiple portfolios to manage the funds from a large array of US pension funds as well as others. So it not not directly the pension funds purchasing but those who manage their funds...can you make the difference if I may kindly ask ?

I never referred to any company in Norway. The whole scale purchase from outside investments in property, large corp etc in most developing countries has been China   they are one of the largest if not largest investor in Thailand from outside the country 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They did this before, they used to hand out free SIMs on the incoming flights in 2009.

Obviously the talk time was extra expensive.

Will they be taking passport details at some point?... I thought the free SIM idea went away when some unregistered ones were used to set off some bombs somewhere in Bangkok.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:10 AM, grain said:

There seems to be these endless cycles of luring more foreign visitors with gifts and easy visas, then after the foreigners numbers increase, they start making things difficult again and coming up with plans to charge the foreigners extra and bring in extra taxes. 

300 baht tourist tax?

17 hours ago, phil2407 said:

Sorry, I just don't believe those figures that TAT or the tourism agents TTA are saying 

I NEVER believe any figures rom TAT! They are usually  shrouded in "hope for", "wish for",  "expects" etc etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

What no one mentioned yet is, that the original article, stating the promotion goes until March 2027 is wrong, the real date is 31st of March 2024, so they will give out the one million cards within a it less than 6 months.

Only issue I see is, that nowhere in any of the articles online is mentioned, who the partner OTAs or airlines are, that enable you to get one of those cards.