Entering on Different Visa Category

If you entered Thailand on a 90 day Non-O based on Marriage and then return to your home country can you enter Thailand again using say a Tourist Visa? Or is it required to continue entering under the Non-O if you're married. I only plan to visit for a few months (Christmas/New Years) then have to return back to the States again to wrap some things up. Wasn't going to re-apply for the Non-O based on Marriage until I had things figured out stateside and then do the 12 month extension 2024. I had to return to the States to handle some family business so that negated me applying for the extension. 

Edited by ajs73

7 minutes ago, timendres said:

Once that Non-O expires, or is negated by an exit without a re-entry permit, it ceases to exist and you are back to being a random tourist - no problem. For example, I have been on a work permit extension based on a Non-B for 9 years. That extension, and thus the original visa it is based on, has been canceled, and shortly I will visit Cambodia to return using the visa exempt. I will then convert to Non-O and then the retirement extension. There is no requirement that you re-enter on the Non-O just because you are married to a Thai national.

I was kind of thinking that but with immigration being so nuanced I wanted to check before applying for the Visa and paying the fee online. Thank you for the info!!

OP, You have a permission of stay.

Exit Thailand without a reentry permit and you can return to Thailand with tourist visa , Visa exempt etc.

One option is to enter visa exempt with option of 30 day extension or 60 day "extension to visit wife"