Your time is limited, what are you waiting for?

bignok

21 hours ago, bignok said:

But he is saying do something with your life. Most villagers do zip.

The Apocalypse must be upon us, as I see myself in agreement with bignok.

Most of us, while we have fun in life, are pretty meaningless in the overall scheme of things. There are some few people, however, who make a huge difference to the human condition. None of these achievers is perfect, whether it is Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, MLK, Enrico Fermi or Steven Jobs, but what they leave behind betters the lives of billions.

Individually, we all have the chance to make some difference, but precious few have the skill, brains or charisma to make a difference on a grand scale. It's okay to salute those who do.

Jobs was instrumental in pushing for the wide adoption of computers for all, something that now gives every human being on the planet access to information long available only to the few. Yes, he did not do it alone, nor did the PC alone lead to the widest dissemination of knowledge in history, but Jobs was an integral part. The PC is Gutenberg's printing press turbocharged.

In terms of thinking about mortality, I don't need any religious 'expert' to tell or teach me anything. I have zero respect for any 'man of the cloth', ancient or modern, simply because of their title, because none tells us anything we wouldn't know by the time we reach adulthood. No morality, no life lessons, nothing of value comes from any religious figure. Humans collectively developed all the rules anyone needs simply when humans decided to become 'civilized' and live among each other. Unless one is a psychopath, one knows how to live a moral life. Religious figures too often add drivel into their 'teachings', such as tales of some afterlife or reincarnation or similar nonsense. This is it, right here, right now. One life, with a definite beginning and a definite final ending. Entropy is going to win in the end, but for this brief moment, we get to experience the wonder of existence, find joys, test our abilities, and choose how we interact with those who share time and space with us..

Jobs might have had some beliefs, but in this speech at my alma mater, he just advised people to become the best they can be and reach whatever level of greatness they can.

Edited by Walker88

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Love this thread .

I'm a realist,so one of the things I like to do ,even if I have to do it sort of sneakily in a conversation is remind people who are in their 70's or older that their time is running out.

Just the shocked look on their faces is something I remember 

come on, no need to be so unpleasant.

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Love this thread .

I'm a realist,so one of the things I like to do ,even if I have to do it sort of sneakily in a conversation is remind people who are in their 70's or older that their time is running out.

Just the shocked look on their faces is something I remember 

I see very little reality in any of your posts.

Do the guys in their 70s remind you of your low station in life and the futility of your dreams of retiring to Thailand?  

• Thumbs Up 1