Sunak’s Covid startup fund invested nearly £2m in firms linked to his wife

Social Media

The Guardian is outraged by companies only part owned by Rishi Sunak's wife receiving over 2 million GBP.

What I couldn't find find in the article was actually how much was dispersed from the fund.

After an internet search I found this article.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-grant-funding-local-authority-payments-to-small-and-medium-businesses/covid-19-business-grants-schemes-insights-august-2022#:~:text=The Restart Grant was announced,scheme closed in July 2021.&text=Cohort 1 grants.

. Key learnings
These insights show:

almost £27 billion was allocated through the COVID-19 Business Grants scheme to local authorities in England, which delivered over 4.5 million payments totalling £22.6 billion, to businesses impacted by the pandemic
micro, small, and medium sized businesses received 94% of the funding by value, totalling £21.3 billion.

It seems as though those four separate companies received less than 1% of the funding between them.

The guardian, as usual only publish the parts of a story that favours them and their readership and not the whole story.

As a slightly off topic point, when I accessed the Guardian story on the end of it they mentioned that as I live in Thailand, would I like to contribute to help pay for their news.

Just above that they also asked if I would like to sign up for their "Free" newsletter.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The Guardian is outraged by companies only part owned by Rishi Sunak's wife receiving over 2 million GBP.

What I couldn't find find in the article was actually how much was dispersed from the fund.

After an internet search I found this article.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-grant-funding-local-authority-payments-to-small-and-medium-businesses/covid-19-business-grants-schemes-insights-august-2022#:~:text=The Restart Grant was announced,scheme closed in July 2021.&text=Cohort 1 grants.

. Key learnings
These insights show:

almost £27 billion was allocated through the COVID-19 Business Grants scheme to local authorities in England, which delivered over 4.5 million payments totalling £22.6 billion, to businesses impacted by the pandemic
micro, small, and medium sized businesses received 94% of the funding by value, totalling £21.3 billion.

It seems as though those four separate companies received less than 1% of the funding between them.

The guardian, as usual only publish the parts of a story that favours them and their readership and not the whole story.

As a slightly off topic point, when I accessed the Guardian story on the end of it they mentioned that as I live in Thailand, would I like to contribute to help pay for their news.

Just above that they also asked if I would like to sign up for their "Free" newsletter.

Oh, it was only a few £million, never mind then.

Did you happen to look at the £billions handed out with no benefit to the nation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1