Soi Bukow one-way? Nope it will never work......

redwood1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:52 PM, TaaSaparot said:

You recall wrong.

I don't think it was entirely wrong, pretty sure at that time the baht bus only went one way. There was very little on Soi Bukhao at the time and very little traffic. My first hotel was the Siam Sawasdee and can remember being stood for about 20 minutes waiting for the baht bus to the junction of south road and 2nd road. Used to walk back as there was no easy way.

• Like 1

I spent about 3 hours last night sitting at a very busy soi buakhow intersection watching the chaos....Far and away the biggest cause of the near gridlock was private cars which i assume were lots of thai bangkok folks down for the holiday weekend.  The private cars out numbered  songtaeows by 10 or 20 or even more to 1.  And of course lots and lots of motorbikes . bikes, pedestrians, drunks in the roads etc added to the chaos.

The baht buses were certainly not the cause of the jam ups and in fact i hate to think what it would have been with no baht buses and all those people taking taxis into the area.

The real problem no matter how u try to slice it is there are just too many cars, too many bikes, too many people, too many food carts, too many motorbikes parked all over making the already narrow streets even more narrow and forcing most pedestrians to walk out in the roadway further slowing the entire mess.  Baht buses are more of a solution than a problem. 

Pie in the sky thinking that banning the baht buses would do anything but make it even worse. Go have a look one night and see for yourself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

O Brother..... Baht Buses only stop for maybe 10, 15, 20. 30 seconds tops..

They do not hold up traffic..

Sounds like someone has never been on the baht bus behind the one doing  the "10, 15, 20. 30 seconds" request stop on Soi Buakhao.

8 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I spent about 3 hours last night sitting at a very busy soi buakhow intersection watching the chaos....Far and away the biggest cause of the near gridlock was private cars which i assume were lots of thai bangkok folks down for the holiday weekend.  The private cars out numbered  songtaeows by 10 or 20 or even more to 1.  And of course lots and lots of motorbikes . bikes, pedestrians, drunks in the roads etc added to the chaos.

The baht buses were certainly not the cause of the jam ups and in fact i hate to think what it would have been with no baht buses and all those people taking taxis into the area.

The real problem no matter how u try to slice it is there are just too many cars, too many bikes, too many people, too many food carts, too many motorbikes parked all over making the already narrow streets even more narrow and forcing most pedestrians to walk out in the roadway further slowing the entire mess.  Baht buses are more of a solution than a problem. 

Pie in the sky thinking that banning the baht buses would do anything but make it even worse. Go have a look one night and see for yourself. 

Nuke and pave it from Tai to Klang. That'll sort out the Soi Buakhao traffic issue.

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You had some valid points until saying that.

Ok I guess I should have said there is always the dumb azz that has to dig a 100 or 500 out of his wallet to pay a 10 baht fare who can hold up traffic...But anyone with brains has 10 baht in hand ready to pay...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Nuke and pave it from Tai to Klang. That'll sort out the Soi Buakhao traffic issue.

better yet do it all over thailand and turn into another singapore...get rid of any and all  and make it bland boring and ridiculously expensive....

as i have said to friends...if u want everything to be just like home you should stay at home....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Ok I guess I should have said there is always the dumb azz that has to dig a 100 or 500 out of his wallet to pay a 10 baht fare who can hold up traffic...But anyone with brains has 10 baht in hand ready to pay...

Exactly why something needs to be done. For a significant part of the year the first timers outnumber the old timers and you cannot blame the first timers for being somwhat confused, we have all been there at some point.

The problem is not going to go away only get worse.

I would agree that one way is a bit severe as a first step, there are other options that could be tried first.

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, you are "entirely wrong"

Are you trying to suggest that I never stayed at the Siam Sawasdee or had to wait 20 minutes for a baht cab towards South Pattaya Road, or that there were plenty of baht cabs going back along Soi Bukhao from south road.

Soi Bukhao was a shanty town in those days,a few karaoke bars in bamboo huts, not much need for baht cabs. Things took a turn when they bulldozed the corner at Soi Diana and built the LK complex.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Exactly why something needs to be done. For a significant part of the year the first timers outnumber the old timers and you cannot blame the first timers for being somwhat confused, we have all been there at some point.

The problem is not going to go away only get worse.

I would agree that one way is a bit severe as a first step, there are other options that could be tried first.

Its probably time you go back to your country of citizenship. 

Its really weird that you chose Thailand as your home but want to whinge and whine. 

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Motorbike taxis, walking,  limit the number of songtaews allowed. I only visited buhkow occasionally on my big bike for a few beers. I would never actually live there and have that mess be my life. No offense to those who travel that road but fork it's depressing. 

Decided to save some time by turning down Diana/Buakhao/Excite etc yesterday....I didn't. What a mess. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Its probably time you go back to your country of citizenship. 

Its really weird that you chose Thailand as your home but want to whinge and whine. 

Don't know where you got that impression from, must be a newbie.

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you trying to suggest that I never stayed at the Siam Sawasdee or had to wait 20 minutes for a baht cab towards South Pattaya Road, or that there were plenty of baht cabs going back along Soi Bukhao from south road.

Soi Bukhao was a shanty town in those days,a few karaoke bars in bamboo huts, not much need for baht cabs. Things took a turn when they bulldozed the corner at Soi Diana and built the LK complex.

I understand you are obsessed with telling people how long you have been in Pattaya.

But your point that Soi Buakhao was one way back in the late 90's is wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:50 AM, NanLaew said:

Sounds like someone has never been on the baht bus behind the one doing  the "10, 15, 20. 30 seconds" request stop on Soi Buakhao.

Agreed, even on a bike getting past the slow, frequent stopping song-taew is a challenge... just to end up behind another one.

On 10/20/2023 at 12:55 PM, redwood1 said:

And if you want to go the opposite direction on the Soi Bukow one-way street?

Then what? If your walking?

You walk the same way in both directions. Just takes a little practice. Lemme illustrate:

image.png.5317b40746e05459c34db4ae81cea719.png

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:47 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

The issue is that they are continually stopping, say 100 times on Soi Buakhao. 

100 stops in one trip, say 50x10 baht = 500 bht per trip! No wonder they work that route😂

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:03 AM, EVENKEEL said:

The above mentioned don't impede traffic the same as songtaews.

Don't ban baht buses, ban private cars. I'd like to have seen private cars banned entirely from 3rd Road to the Beach and North to South Roads. Anyone driving a private car gets it confiscated and sold. That'll stop the congestion smartish.

People can either ride a m'bike or take a baht bus.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Looks like the one way experiment for Soi Buakhao will start shortly, but just up to the Soi Diana junction.

Interesting.

Crossroads of Buakhao, Diana & Lengkee in the evening is a "must see" in Thailand.

Somehow it seems to work ok.🙃🙃

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Looks like the one way experiment for Soi Buakhao will start shortly, but just up to the Soi Diana junction.

This will never work....

I am strongly against the whole one-way thing...

But

Soi Bukow must be all one-way for this to have any chance of working..