Soi Bukow one-way? Nope it will never work......

redwood1

Well obviously, the entire street will have to be dug up and resurfaced before this can happen, so the mayor and his mates will be in clover. Then they'll decide that the drains need replacing and dig it all up and resurface it again. Then there will be hiding the cables underground... etc., etc., as we've seen in other parts of Pattaya. Welcome to the wonderful world of endless Pattaya road works, lol.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JimTripper said:

if you can't walk bukcow you have mobility issues. not worth it to have baht busses blocking the street for the few elderly or disabled people who need it.

Great idea.  Remove the baht buses that carry average of 8 passengers and replace it with dozens of taxis that carry average of 2 passengers.  That will fix the congestion problem big time.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Somjot said:

Since a huge bus full of Chinese tourists hit me from behind, while I was standing at a red light waiting for it to turn green, completely destroying my big bike and the police officer later refusing to believe, I was sitting on the bike, when the accident occurred.

I gave up riding a bike in Pattaya.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd never drive a car through Pattaya, just a traffic nightmare, bikes are best, just need to increase your riding skill, I see many making mistakes

I don't know how well you read my post.

I repeat: “Since a huge bus full of Chinese tourists hit me from behind, while I was standing at a red light waiting for it to turn green, completely destroying my big bike …”

Or in other words: I was not driving my bike, my bike was not moving, when the accident occurred.

And you answered: “just need to increase your riding skill, I see many making mistakes“.

May I humbly ask, which mistake I made and how exactly “increasing my riding skill” would have prevented the accident?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Let's also ban all scooters, bamboo, and spicy food. 

I am sure the Thai people anxiously await the next brilliant farang plan.

The above mentioned don't impede traffic the same as songtaews.

15 hours ago, pomchop said:

and exactly what would u replace the baht buses with that would not impede traffic?

Do they need to be replaced? Sometimes there seems to be too many of them and they drive around near empty. Along with samlors and handcarts they create the problem. Pattaya is choking on it's own traffic problems, very apparent yesterday, a long holiday weekend with rain. 

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do they need to be replaced? Sometimes there seems to be too many of them and they drive around near empty. Along with samlors and handcarts they create the problem. Pattaya is choking on it's own traffic problems, very apparent yesterday, a long holiday weekend with rain. 

No idea who controls how many and what routes they take....yes sometimes there do seem to be too many on some routes and not enough or none on other.

But just try and imagine the traffic jams if there were no baht buses and a few hundred taxis took their place. People asking questions, trying to say where they want to go without driver or passengers speaking same language, arguing over fares, meter use, making change,  etc.  I suspect that the "boarding time" and blocking traffic  to sort all that would be substantially greater than hop on a baht bus with no discussion and away you go...and not to mention taxi likely two or so people while baht bus could move 12 or so.  I rarely see a samlor (as in bkk style tuk tuks) in pattaya but yes handcarts do block it all up but good luck with regulating them to any realistic extent.

Rain and a holiday weekend are always going to create traffic problems but i would say most of that traffic is cars coming in from bangkok for the holiday.

Baht buses bottom line get it done on the existing roads pretty darn efficiently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pomchop said:

No idea who controls how many and what routes they take....yes sometimes there do seem to be too many on some routes and not enough or none on other.

But just try and imagine the traffic jams if there were no baht buses and a few hundred taxis took their place. People asking questions, trying to say where they want to go without driver or passengers speaking same language, arguing over fares, meter use, making change,  etc.  I suspect that the "boarding time" and blocking traffic  to sort all that would be substantially greater than hop on a baht bus with no discussion and away you go...and not to mention taxi likely two or so people while baht bus could move 12 or so.  I rarely see a samlor (as in bkk style tuk tuks) in pattaya but yes handcarts do block it all up but good luck with regulating them to any realistic extent.

Rain and a holiday weekend are always going to create traffic problems but i would say most of that traffic is cars coming in from bangkok for the holiday.

Baht buses bottom line get it done on the existing roads pretty darn efficiently.

This is exactly why those in power hate Baht buses.......Baht buses are free enterprise....They work very very well....They are cheap.....So there is no room for officials to get their snout in the trough.....

They would like nothing more than to kill Pattayas Baht buses....But they have no better idea...

On 10/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, Somjot said:

in other words: I was not driving my bike, my bike was not moving, when the accident occurred.

And you answered: “just need to increase your riding skill, I see many making mistakes“.

May I humbly ask, which mistake I made and how exactly “increasing my riding skill” would have prevented the accident?

Personally I don't leave myself exposed at the front by traffic lights, I either stop in-between or in front of other vehicles or even stop left side before lights.

I've only had one accident 24 years ago and although it wasn't my fault (someone did a right hand turn in front of me going through red lights), I still analysed it to see if there was anything I could have done to avoid it and there was

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Trams are coming.

Yea right....The trams have been talked about for ages....Baht buses put trams to shame....The only thing trams would be good for is to make a few people very rich, who build them...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Yea right....The trams have been talked about for ages....Baht buses put trams to shame....The only thing trams would be good for is to make a few people very rich, who build them...

i would take the tram

tram can go from the north end of walking street, over pratumnak hill and the pattaya sign and to jomtein beach. people walk the rest of the way 15 minutes or so. great idea.

those elevated seats like at disneyland or a ski lift.

do away with reliance on these idiotic motorbike taxis or drivers in general.

Edited by JimTripper

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Personally I don't leave myself exposed at the front by traffic lights, I either stop in-between or in front of other vehicles or even stop left side before lights.

I've only had one accident 24 years ago and although it wasn't my fault (someone did a right hand turn in front of me going through red lights), I still analysed it to see if there was anything I could have done to avoid it and there was

In my case that wouldn't have helped.

It was a two-lane Street, central Pattaya Rd, to be precise and I was coming from Foodland and had stopped ad the intersection 3rd Road.

I was riding a big bike and had stopped on the right lane behind a pickup. Left lane was free as most people ignore the red light and turn left so I would have been an obstacle for them.

Nevertheless, in the past quarter century I have seen so many horrible accidents.

Thailand has always been one of the leading countries when it comes to traffic fatalities with more than 20,000 killed on the street.

Surprise, surprise more than 70% were riding a bike.

My take on this is, if you ride a bike, especially in Pattaya and frequently at nighttime the question is not, if you will have an accident, it is, when.

You might be a special case, able to analyse every possible danger from every direction and even include the 300 pound foreigner who made the balcony dive just above you but keep in mind the average farang, who is on the streets at night, his vision blurred by the sildenafil he took not to mention his mind, after those six beers he already had, might not be as sharp as you.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Tuk Tuks would work well in Pattaya, were always fun in Bangkok, they could take on Bolt successfully unlike orange taxi bikes

You can't be serious about those Tuk Tuks. Isn't Pattaya`s air polluted enough?

7 hours ago, Somjot said:

In my case that wouldn't have helped.

It was a two-lane Street, central Pattaya Rd, to be precise and I was coming from Foodland and had stopped ad the intersection 3rd Road.

I was riding a big bike and had stopped on the right lane behind a pickup. Left lane was free as most people ignore the red light and turn left so I would have been an obstacle for them.

Nevertheless, in the past quarter century I have seen so many horrible accidents.

Thailand has always been one of the leading countries when it comes to traffic fatalities with more than 20,000 killed on the street.

Surprise, surprise more than 70% were riding a bike.

My take on this is, if you ride a bike, especially in Pattaya and frequently at nighttime the question is not, if you will have an accident, it is, when.

You might be a special case, able to analyse every possible danger from every direction and even include the 300 pound foreigner who made the balcony dive just above you but keep in mind the average farang, who is on the streets at night, his vision blurred by the sildenafil he took not to mention his mind, after those six beers he already had, might not be as sharp as you.

You can't be serious about those Tuk Tuks. Isn't Pattaya`s air polluted enough?

I agree about nightime riding, I avoid it as much as possible, Xmas eve, NY eve and similar days are also dangerous best avoided.

Maybe Tuk Tuks can be electric or hybrid now

20 hours ago, pomchop said:

There seems to never be any on Klang these days, to get to and from Big-CX, there used to be. My thought is it is to let the taxis and M/C guys get the business. I always wondered why one doesn't see them on 3rd Rd. 

Can't argue that they create traffic issues if one rides a bike down Buakhao now and again. 

On 10/20/2023 at 3:28 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Why do people always pick on public transport?

They are picking on baht buses, not public transport in general. I love public transport in Bangkok, but baht buses stop anywhere and slow down traffic just in the hope of picking up passengers. Frequently they will stop traffic just to tout for passengers.

Regular buses have bus stops to pick up and offload passengers. Baht buses slow or stop traffic to pick up or drop off one passenger. They are without doubt the biggest hindrance to traffic flow in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 12:38 PM, redwood1 said:

...You then must walk to 2nd or 3rd road catch a baht bus to the halfway point then walk all the way back to Soi Bukow

The problem with soi Buakhao are the baht buses. 

They were banned some time ago, traffic was OK but sadly they crept back. 

The one way system will work for me, riding my PCX. 

On 10/21/2023 at 11:37 PM, pomchop said:

and exactly what would u replace the baht buses with that would not impede traffic?

Motorbike taxis, walking,  limit the number of songtaews allowed. I only visited buhkow occasionally on my big bike for a few beers. I would never actually live there and have that mess be my life. No offense to those who travel that road but fork it's depressing. 

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

They are picking on baht buses, not public transport in general. I love public transport in Bangkok, but baht buses stop anywhere and slow down traffic just in the hope of picking up passengers. Frequently they will stop traffic just to tout for passengers.

Regular buses have bus stops to pick up and offload passengers. Baht buses slow or stop traffic to pick up or drop off one passenger. They are without doubt the biggest hindrance to traffic flow in Pattaya.

O Brother..... Baht Buses only stop for maybe 10, 15, 20. 30 seconds tops..

They do not hold up traffic..

Edited by redwood1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The problem with soi Buakhao are the baht buses. 

They were banned some time ago, traffic was OK but sadly they crept back. 

The one way system will work for me, riding my PCX. 

The Baht Bus Ban lasted 2 whole days because it was a stupid idea...

On 10/20/2023 at 1:47 PM, QuantumQuandry said:

I don't know if it would be better for traffic or not, I will leave that to people who actually study such things.

But the two way street makes that street way more attractive, to me.  All of the businesses, outside of the LK area, in that area would certainly lose my business.  And I wouldn't consider a condo there to be worthwhile, anymore.

I guess that would mean less traffic, potentially...but maybe not for the reasons one might hope for.

Many years ago, beach road and walking street were two-way.

Then they made it all one-way, people gurned.

Then they made walking street pedestrian-only after dark, people gurned.

Good to see that the gurning processes are alive and well on Buakhao.

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 7:20 PM, Lemsta69 said:

And who the hell is "Dianna" and why did they name a Soi after her?

The road is saisong 13 and got it's name from the hotel "The Diana Inn" that used to be on the corner of 2nd road. Think there used to be another Diana place with apartments at the other end of the road, called the Dragon now.

All were part of the Diana Estate group.