Thailand set to become ASEAN’s gaming hub, says Thailand Game Show organisers

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is also nurturing game developers, which aligns with the government’s National Soft Power strategy.

Thailand is making games? Which ones, I never heard of any. Actually I can't think of any software they've made which is used outside of Thailand.

Before they declare themselves to be a hub of anything should be required to show proof of expertise and reputation in the area, of which currently they have none.

Finally, if they want to attract game studies from aboard they need to actually offer a reasonable visa which currently doesn't exist. If they did I bet you could attract game developers who are looking for a lower cost of living to developer their first game, something which is extremely difficult for many people because they need 1+ years of time and the cost of living is too high in their country.

10 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand is making games? Which ones, I never heard of any. Actually I can't think of any software they've made which is used outside of Thailand.

Before they declare themselves to be a hub of anything should be required to show proof of expertise and reputation in the area, of which currently they have none.

Finally, if they want to attract game studies from aboard they need to actually offer a reasonable visa which currently doesn't exist. If they did I bet you could attract game developers who are looking for a lower cost of living to developer their first game, something which is extremely difficult for many people because they need 1+ years of time and the cost of living is too high in their country.

There's a game mentioned in the OP (actually a series by now). Never played it, not my thing. But think it got decent reviews. Of course there's no hub, and there's not likely to be one. Bigger fish out there.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

There's a game mentioned in the OP (actually a series by now). Never played it, not my thing. But think it got decent reviews. Of course there's no hub, and there's not likely to be one. Bigger fish out there.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/617160/Home_Sweet_Home/

Making games has never been easier so Thailand could in theory enter the market and succeed just like anyone else, however from the article:

"Despite a vast base of game users, Thailand has fewer game creators and very few local game publishers observed Pongsuk. He suggested that the government could promote local games through exhibitions to gain recognition among Thais."

Despite having ready made engines and tools today games still take months and years to develop and I wonder of much human capital Thailand actually has which is willing to commit to long term projects.

The lack of creativity I see in the general population is a problem also and schools are harming them from thinking out of the box, something which is difficult for most Asians anyways.

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/617160/Home_Sweet_Home/

Making games has never been easier so Thailand could in theory enter the market and succeed just like anyone else, however from the article:

"Despite a vast base of game users, Thailand has fewer game creators and very few local game publishers observed Pongsuk. He suggested that the government could promote local games through exhibitions to gain recognition among Thais."

Despite having ready made engines and tools today games still take months and years to develop and I wonder of much human capital Thailand actually has which is willing to commit to long term projects.

The lack of creativity I see in the general population is a problem also and schools are harming them from thinking out of the box, something which is difficult for most Asians anyways.

One problem is English. Unless planning to focus on local market, that's a must. As for creativity - it depends. For example, this game was praised for it. Thai commercials are often mentioned in that regard as well (I have no idea why, but I don't watch much local tv). There's also no need to be super-creative, it's good enough to take an existing or old game and make it better, slicker, prettier or whatever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morch said:

One problem is English. Unless planning to focus on local market, that's a must. As for creativity - it depends. For example, this game was praised for it. Thai commercials are often mentioned in that regard as well (I have no idea why, but I don't watch much local tv). There's also no need to be super-creative, it's good enough to take an existing or old game and make it better, slicker, prettier or whatever.

For sure Thailand has exceptional people that can do anything but the numbers are going to be lower IMO. Tapping existing genres and using engines will get them far too. Nothing stopping them, get on YouTube and you'll be up to your eyeballs in tutorials, nothing like when I started making games in the 90s.

As for English, that's always a sore spot if they intend to do anything outside of Thailand. Right  now people in the US will hire Indians or Malaysians over Thais because they can actually speak English. Not even sure how many Thai programmers are even on the international market but I never hear of them so I assume it's on the lower end (behind Vietnam, China, Korea, Taiwan etc..).

• Like 1

I just thought that gaming was a fad, am I wrong?

It is hard to say what the young generation will do in their future.

With AI and robots getting more popular, maybe gaming will be the new

human activity. I am glad that i am in my 70s and do not get involved with stuff like gaming.