Optical dispenser

Randell

Hello I have had a shop make some new lenses for me and it turned out totally unsatisfactory they even changed once but they had the prescription wrong. I have now a new prescription from a doctor at a hospital. Now I ask is anyone has a trusted referral to suggest beside the over priced big fashy shops like Top Choron. I need a progressive lense. Thanks for your help. I don't get into town very much anymore due to health so the alternative shop is nolonger where I remember it ha ha.

3 minutes ago, retarius said:

I have never had an accurate prescription test on my eyes since living in Thailand for about 14 years. This includes having expensive diabetic eye checks in swanky Bangkok hospitals. What follows, is my story about what I do to get a good pair of glasses and why I think I cannot get a good prescription in the shops. Other people may well have had totally different and superior experiences and good luck to you if you did. 

I have taken to rifling through my collection of old, sometimes very old, prescription glasses, and finding a pair that feel good to my eyes. 

I then go to one of the big brand name chains and tell them to give me prescription lenses the same strength as the ones in the old glasses. This causes immense confusion among the poor staff, but my wife sorts it out. I always pick cheap frames, because why am I going to pay 20X as much for a pair of frames with some stupid brand on....anyway, it works every time. 

What do I think the problem with the one stop big brand shops in the high street is? I think the problem with these high street and mall brand shops is that their staff are not trained to a high enough standard do accurate testing. If you go back to the same store, or pass one in a mall, check out the staff and see how many staff last a month. In my experience this is almost none, all the staff are almost always knew to me. This may mean that most of the staff who waltz you through the array of testing machines have less than one months' experience. 

Wow! That's quite some system you've got worked out there! I know that opticians can read the prescription by viewing the lens through what I would liken to a microscope. For you, that seems to work well enough. I've never had an eye test in Thailand because I return every few years to U.K. where I'm entitled to a free test and printed prescription.

Bought mine from Zenni online and paid about 1/8 the price at a local optometrist in the USA.  Had zero problems with them.  I hear they deliver to Thailand as well. 

I recall the previous pair I bought from Top Charon and they were even more expensive than a pair at a local optometrist from the USA.  Never again, though the eye candy did momentarily take my mind off the screwing I was taking.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Bought mine from Zenni online and paid about 1/8 the price at a local optometrist in the USA.  Had zero problems with them.  I hear they deliver to Thailand as well. 

I recall the previous pair I bought from Top Charon and they were even more expensive than a pair at a local optometrist from the USA.  Never again, though the eye candy did momentarily take my mind off the screwing I was taking.

Worst ever optical screwing I got was in Paraguay at 'Optica Valemar' (better not say which branch). As soon as I walked through the door with my then GF, the assistant beamed and reached all the way to the back of the drawer of frames. I was presented with a pair of 'Linea Roma' and 'Wrangler' brands. They also sold their most expensive pair of sunglasses to my GF. I paid for all three of course.  

Hello, my suggestion would be to look for an Optical shop that advertises lens brands such as Zeiss, Rodenstock, Hoya or Essilor. They offer computerised facial measurements that ensure the correct placement of the reading portion of the lens. Sounds like you require a multi focal lens which does need you, your frame and the prescription. Other posters are correct, without the right training, the measurements taken will likely be wrong. By finding a place with the computerised option, it’s less likely to be incorrect. The downside is you’ll may be needing to purchase the lens design they have measured for which may be costly, but worth it in the end! The prescription done by an Optom or Ophthalmologist will not have any of the facial measurements, they are two distinct components to a prescription, but is preferable to the machine some places use to “test” your vision. 
Two main facial measurements are called PD (pupil distance) and heights. Heights measure where the reading part of the lens will start from, the PD measures how wide apart your pupils are. Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the interesting reminisces and advice. I have seen an opthomologist and and optometrist tested me with very modern equipment for my prescription. What I was asking for specifically was a referral to a optical shop in Chiang Rai city and surrounds.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Randell said:

Thanks all for the interesting reminisces and advice. I have seen an opthomologist and and optometrist tested me with very modern equipment for my prescription. What I was asking for specifically was a referral to a optical shop in Chiang Rai city and surrounds.

Once upon a time all optometrists performed eye tests, you purchased your frames from their shop and your new frames and prescription were sent to a lens grinding factory. All optometrists in the town/area/region used the same lens grinding factory. Your optometrist (or more likely their sales assistant) 'fitted' your new specs to your face by warming and softening the plastic with a hot air blower. New technology (including plastic lenses) has reduced the cost and size of lens making machinery and, in some places, lenses are made and fitted in the shop 'while-u-wait'. 

You report you have suffered from both incorrect prescription and an error in making your lenses to the corrected prescription i.e. incompetence/inexperience by the lens making machine operative?

I would be tempted to ask your ophthalmologist where he/she would go (or send) a prescription to get lenses made with confidence?

Edited by The Fugitive
Spelling mistake.

I've been more than happy with this place mate.

Friendly and good service. 

There is off-street parking for 20 baht almost directly across the street from their shop, down the little alley to the south.

Depending on what you need, he might have to order the lenses from Bangkok.

They are located at the orange marker on this map- https://maps.app.goo.gl/sa2p1uh5GBAurxGb8
Degrees Minutes   19°54.51600', 099°49.79100'
Degrees Minutes Seconds    19°54'30.9600", 099°49'47.4600"
Google Street View of their shop front is here- https://maps.app.goo.gl/h9WB1gT27ZYdsKFC7

Edited by Will27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Datsun 1200 said:

If you want the best, I am 63yo and see better than when 25yo (fcku glasses!!)

I and over 1,000 others have had Dr Captain replace lenses.

Tim Newton from TNT and others around Phuket use the same doctor 

https://www.phukethospital.com/doctor/captain-wiriyaluppa/

IH

I agree with you, many years ago already, I've got flashes in my eyes and went to the Bangkok/Phuket hospital, in 10 minutes they told me it was a retina eyes.

I was very surprised, but they send me to the same hospital in BKK because the retina had to be reattached by lasering, and at the time this was not possible on Phuket.

Also that time done for a reasonable price, unlike today.