Why do you want to live so long?

Confuscious

On 10/21/2023 at 1:57 PM, Pipi Olly said:

More and more people are paying the price of a life of anxiety and stress as they age. Being happy and relaxed is one of the most efficient way to remain in good health. Of course it ain't magic. Other factors come into play, especially genetics and your body's ability to manage all those toxic substances that the industrial world releases in the environment. But happy people with solid social networks usually live longer.

At the end of the day, we all die.

read and article the other day from some doctor - he said the biggest killer of man was "retirement" because they all stopped doing whatever too soon.  I agree somewhat, but many people should have changed their lifestyles earlier in life if they wanted to possibly have a healthy retirement.  Too many wait until it is too late to really improve one's chance of longer life - that would be healthier too.  What is a longer life with rampant disease, paid, hospitalization etc?  I am approaching 80, walk 6kms a day, lift weights, do core stretching and exercises regularly.  I have very few pains occasionally but I have done this for many year already - though I used to run instead of walking due to the "runners high" which I experienced every day.  I have a younger wife and we have a 20-year daughter and I hope to have many more lucid years to follow their lives.  I also do not drink alcohol, nor smoke tobacco or other drugs.  I have not even had a headache in over 20 years.  BP is that of a healthy 45 year old.  But, if I were to not wake up tomorrow,

THAT"S death.   But I enjoy life daily, am happy and have no regrets in my life.  Hope all are at least satisfied with their current life - otherwise, try to

change it.  Be happy!  that is easy, after all this is TIT and we choose to be here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:28 PM, Confuscious said:

But if I can enjoy a good cake with lot's of cream or a juicy hamburger, should I refuse that because it would upgrade my sugar levels?

Actually that you ask this is pretty telling

Folks with healthy nutrition habits actually don't crave such & the way your describing it says you do 😉

Similar to exercise for some folks it is a pleasure but for others it is a chore

But that aside...you should do what you want to do life is short live it as you like. That is why the 82 year old guy you mentioned in your OP is so happy & probably a likely reason he is still going strong.

Personally, I think it's all about timing. My grand strategy of cigarettes, and whiskey, and wild, wild, women, failed to kill me off in my relative prime. I've outlived myself. Now, at 68, I face a slow decline. Of course, if you're interested in seeing your grandkids, and all that, you may take a different view, but I'm pretty much a hedonist.

• Like 1

I am not scared of dying, but I am scared of suffering (lung replacement rejection!!) when the fun is over....

Final Exit The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying, 3rd Edition https://a.co/d/9LPUQcE

This was a huge relief when I found this and it probably ADDED 5 years to my lifespan (screw lung transplants etc)

IH

On 10/21/2023 at 7:26 PM, connda said:

Why do you want to live so long?

I don't.  I'm good with checking out any time.  I'm more worried about living this long.

henry-kissinger-usa-1001280x720-2706786864.jpeg.b2c77e1f1dd03a8cfa5bb01ee446d424.jpeg

So am I. I use a similar argument as I would about spending a load of money on an old wreck of a car. What's the point?

An fact it is my one big argument against having medical insurance. No hospital is going to try and keep me alive against my will if I can help it.

On 10/21/2023 at 7:28 PM, Confuscious said:

I am also 69, 1 month away from 70.

After spending almost 19 years under the ground, digging the black gold, it's not rocket science to know why most coalminers close the lights before reaching 60.

I try to live these years as healthy as possible.

But if I can enjoy a good cake with lot's of cream or a juicy hamburger, should I refuse that because it would upgrade my sugar levels?

"19 years under the ground, digging the black gold,"    Wales?

On 10/21/2023 at 11:31 PM, bignok said:

Death at 60 be good enough

If I'd died at 60, I'd have missed the absolute joy of grandchildren. 

Now I want to live as long as I'm able (in both senses of the word) in order to see how they turn out. 

On 10/21/2023 at 1:48 PM, Confuscious said:

Many of them had a healthy lifestyle and were watching their health

Right, many "think" they have a healthy life, but they don't. And polluted work environment is one of important factors that will become a killer in long term. We don't know for certain what could affect our life in long term that we were exposed to it. 
One important thing is life style. Change you habits. Such as food and other things that you eat, even your living location. Change your beer brand, never drink the same beer for long time. 
I wished if I could change my woman as well 🤔😆😂🤣 that is a soul health. 

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I note that, in addition to wrong assumption that "unhealthy" living will allow a good quality of life, just shorter, many posters seem nto to know what healthy living entails.

It does NOT require going to a gym and certainly not  hours in a gym each day.

It does NOT mean you can never, ever eat ice cream.

And so forth.

Other than smoking and unprotected high risk sex, there is not much that has to be absolutely avoided to have a healthy lifestyle. The key is moderation when it comes to "unhealthy" foods, alcohol and the like.

As for fitness/physical activity, the most important thing is to be as active as you reasonably can be given your age and whatever physical limitations  you have without going to wild extremes or unduly taxing yourself (especially if older or having underlying health issues - heavy  gym workouts are not a good idea for people with cardiovascular disease, back problems, etc etc.) Simple walking is fine, some of it brisk if possible, and you do not have to hit the much vaunted 10K steps a day -- I certainly do not.  But I do set myself an absolute minimum of 5K steps a day and I found that is achievable but does mean an effort i,e. it is more than I would usually get without trying.  I use an app on my mobile phone to track number of steps and find it very helpful. I would suggest people first use it to figure out how many steps they are getting without additional effort and then set a goal that is higher than that but still in reach and something you can stick to long term. Even an increase of 1,000 - 2,000 steps a day will help your health.  Aside from this, engaging in something that involves physical movement at least twice a week - could be gardening, swimming, etc, whatever you like and can do (even housework counts, and helps!) -- is a good idea.  Ideal is to get 2 1/2 hours a week of moderate-intensity physical activity (brisk walking counts) i.e. about 20 minutes a day. However, any amount of movement is better than none.

Regarding diet: if one is already at a good weight (and I would include in that category people who are just slightly overweight but not obese) and without diabetes, hypertension or heart disease, with a normal lipid panel, and eating a good variety of foods then that is good enough IMO.  If obese, should try to reduce if possible and that is not just a matter of longevity but of quality of life as obesity definitely increases painful problems like degenerative spinal disease, joint disease etc.  Not necessary to strive for an "ideal" weight but do try to get below obesity level if at all possible. If not possible, then at least become less obese. Every bit helps. Not necessary to follow a specific type of diet as long as what you eat is a balanced diet. The best weight loss program, like the best physical activity program, is the one you can actually stick to over  the long term.

Specific health problems may require some dietary modifications depending  on what they are.   Or you may take medications, Or both. Each case is different. Diabetics should definitely try to keep their HB1Ac below 7 (again not just or even mainly for longevity, but to avoid things like blindness, need for dialysis, painful circulatory conditions etc).  To what extent they achieve that by diet and physical activity vs by medication is less important than that they do it.  People with unfavorable lipid profiles (e.g. high LDL and/or triglycerides) same story.

Periodic health screenings focused on those things for which there are effective early treatments or preventive measures makes solid sense and for an otherwise healthy person entails just once a year (less if young).

Keeping up with vaccinations including those specifically important for the elderly (pneumonia, shingles, COVID, RSV) is easy to do and helps a lot.

While this has all taken some time to describe, none of the measures described above are onerous or preclude having an enjoyable life.

Be wary of zealots who try to tell you that nothing less than (fill in the blanks) is enough to be healthy. There are certainly things one should do, and a few things one should either not do or do only in moderation, but it in no way requires dedicating hours each day or living like an ascetic. Some people seem to like going to great excesses in the name of health  but most of us do nto and these people can actual be a discouragement for the rest of us. Tune them out, but don't go to the opposite extreme. There is a happy medium.

Illness and death are inevitable but the amount and severity of illness can be reduced with sensible measures that do not preclude enjoying your life.  Conversely, completely ignoring your health is very likely to lead to a poorer quality of life than you would otherwise have.

Good post

Most foods are ok in moderation

Over eating is the biggest problem

"Why do you want to live so long?"

To be honest, personally I don't. But, as I have absolutely no control of my end, I wish to lead a quality life as much as possible until the end. Hence, the reason to follow a healthy life style, as much as possible.

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

Right, many "think" they have a healthy life, but they don't. And polluted work environment is one of important factors that will become a killer in long term. We don't know for certain what could affect our life in long term that we were exposed to it. 
One important thing is life style. Change you habits. Such as food and other things that you eat, even your living location. Change your beer brand, never drink the same beer for long time. 
I wished if I could change my woman as well 🤔😆😂🤣 that is a soul health. 

One does not always have the choice about their work or the environment to live.

In the late '60's, my parents moved to Belgium to flee the wat in Spain (General Franco).
My father was entlisted as a coalminer.
No other jobs were available for the foreign immigrants like Italian (Marcinelle), Spaniards, etc.

At the age of 25, I was offered to work in the coalmines as a translator.
Lucky for me, I was a "Chief Conductor" and I did not have to work hard (Physically).

Foreigners had little choice of jobs at that time.
- Coalminer.
- Ford Cars industry
- Dock loading/unloading

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I note that, in addition to wrong assumption that "unhealthy" living will allow a good quality of life, just shorter, many posters seem nto to know what healthy living entails.

It does NOT require going to a gym and certainly not  hours in a gym each day.

It does NOT mean you can never, ever eat ice cream.

And so forth.

Other than smoking and unprotected high risk sex, there is not much that has to be absolutely avoided to have a healthy lifestyle. The key is moderation when it comes to "unhealthy" foods, alcohol and the like.

As for fitness/physical activity, the most important thing is to be as active as you reasonably can be given your age and whatever physical limitations  you have without going to wild extremes or unduly taxing yourself (especially if older or having underlying health issues - heavy  gym workouts are not a good idea for people with cardiovascular disease, back problems, etc etc.) Simple walking is fine, some of it brisk if possible, and you do not have to hit the much vaunted 10K steps a day -- I certainly do not.  But I do set myself an absolute minimum of 5K steps a day and I found that is achievable but does mean an effort i,e. it is more than I would usually get without trying.  I use an app on my mobile phone to track number of steps and find it very helpful. I would suggest people first use it to figure out how many steps they are getting without additional effort and then set a goal that is higher than that but still in reach and something you can stick to long term. Even an increase of 1,000 - 2,000 steps a day will help your health.  Aside from this, engaging in something that involves physical movement at least twice a week - could be gardening, swimming, etc, whatever you like and can do (even housework counts, and helps!) -- is a good idea.  Ideal is to get 2 1/2 hours a week of moderate-intensity physical activity (brisk walking counts) i.e. about 20 minutes a day. However, any amount of movement is better than none.

Regarding diet: if one is already at a good weight (and I would include in that category people who are just slightly overweight but not obese) and without diabetes, hypertension or heart disease, with a normal lipid panel, and eating a good variety of foods then that is good enough IMO.  If obese, should try to reduce if possible and that is not just a matter of longevity but of quality of life as obesity definitely increases painful problems like degenerative spinal disease, joint disease etc.  Not necessary to strive for an "ideal" weight but do try to get below obesity level if at all possible. If not possible, then at least become less obese. Every bit helps. Not necessary to follow a specific type of diet as long as what you eat is a balanced diet. The best weight loss program, like the best physical activity program, is the one you can actually stick to over  the long term.

Specific health problems may require some dietary modifications depending  on what they are.   Or you may take medications, Or both. Each case is different. Diabetics should definitely try to keep their HB1Ac below 7 (again not just or even mainly for longevity, but to avoid things like blindness, need for dialysis, painful circulatory conditions etc).  To what extent they achieve that by diet and physical activity vs by medication is less important than that they do it.  People with unfavorable lipid profiles (e.g. high LDL and/or triglycerides) same story.

Periodic health screenings focused on those things for which there are effective early treatments or preventive measures makes solid sense and for an otherwise healthy person entails just once a year (less if young).

Keeping up with vaccinations including those specifically important for the elderly (pneumonia, shingles, COVID, RSV) is easy to do and helps a lot.

While this has all taken some time to describe, none of the measures described above are onerous or preclude having an enjoyable life.

Be wary of zealots who try to tell you that nothing less than (fill in the blanks) is enough to be healthy. There are certainly things one should do, and a few things one should either not do or do only in moderation, but it in no way requires dedicating hours each day or living like an ascetic. Some people seem to like going to great excesses in the name of health  but most of us do nto and these people can actual be a discouragement for the rest of us. Tune them out, but don't go to the opposite extreme. There is a happy medium.

Illness and death are inevitable but the amount and severity of illness can be reduced with sensible measures that do not preclude enjoying your life.  Conversely, completely ignoring your health is very likely to lead to a poorer quality of life than you would otherwise have.

Good post Sherryl
Thanks

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, Confuscious said:

I read the joke about a man going to the doctor, and the doctor asked him:
- do you smoke?

NO

- do you drink alcohol?

NO

- do you go out with other woman every day?

No

- do you pratize dangerous sports
 NO

Then why do you want to live a long life if you don't enjoy it?

What are your thoughts about this?

A number of studies actually find that enjoying life is a major factor for longevity...🥳

Longevity is most likely a combination of many things; including both genes, life-style and joy.

My father said that enjoy life is the most important. He didn't get involved in healthy life-style – however, he never smoked – he enjoyed a glass of wine, preferably two, with his dinner; he liked a glass of cold beer; he used butter and sugar; he didn't think much of what he was eating or having a healthy diet, but he liked vegetables to be part of a major meal; he never ate much, and was never overweight; and in general he was always in a good mood and enjoyed life.

Also important surely is that he walked a lot – having a dog helped – and he walked fast. He furthermore played piano every day and he forgot to stop playing tennis; he continued at least twice a week and preferably two hours. At older age he preferred double – often playing against his 14 years younger wife, in the other team. The original double tennis-partners however got old and too slow, so they let their sons take over. And after tennis he always enjoyed a cold beer.

So, it seems like combination of several things are important for longevity, including both enjoying life and some level of activity, which also must be enjoyable, according to my father...👍

My mother however, cared a lot about healthy life-style. She complained quite a bit over my father's not so healthy life-style, and even that she was active in sport – both tennis and figure ice skating – she died unexpected from a cancer when she was 90 years old.

My father played in an exhibition double tennis match in an ATP-tournament when he was 101 years old.

image.jpeg.dbacdc9ea13fd39fa74385761a441aac.jpeg

His last played tennis was when he was 104. He lived till he was 104½, where he said to me: "Now it's not fun anymore, I begin to need help for too much". I knew, what was happening. A week later he passed away when sleeping, while I was sitting next to him and holding his hand.

3 hours ago, ravip said:

Thank you for deciding for me. Great!

Any other info that you would care to let go?

He is right - you actually stated something about having no control and then illogically you said your are following a healthy lifestyle - which is absolutely within your control!

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

He is right - you actually stated something about having no control and then illogically you said your are following a healthy lifestyle - which is absolutely within your control!

Thank you too!

Please read again, again and again... and if necessary again, what said I have no control over.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Suicide begs to differ.

That one would want to do that and the reason behind it is due to causal events, life is a series of causal events beyond our control, only the misguided think they have control over their own lives even though the package looks like it.