Why do you want to live so long?

Confuscious

27 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Many of us with you on that one. Pay into the scheme for 50 years but they don't like you to draw it for too long!

My wife will do the math: as long as I'm bringing in even a single net dollar, she'll keep me plugged in.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Aside from genetics, would posit stress, diet and environment are main players in overall health. Stress in particular is really hard on the body. You also cannot perpetually shovel sh,ite into your system and not expect it to bite back, cancer or otherwise. People hold on because they are scared of the possibility of a nothingness, and of course leaving people behind. Not worries about the former. What scares me most is the potential of there being something else and it being worse than the worst that life can throw at you. How far would I want to go? 60 absolute tops.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This thread seems to assume:

1. That only things harmful to one's health are enjoyable.

2.  That things harmful to one's health will only shorten life, nto affect it's quality.

#2 is definitely wrong.  #1 is certainly not true for everybody.

Most people I know are not concerned much with the length if their life but rather with its quality - which does require some attention to health.

Agree.

Yes, smoking might cut a few years off the back end, but hacking and wheezing away for the smoker's last few years is worse than the last five years a non-smoker gets. Plus, smokers smell like (deleted) for their entire life.

Similarly, someone who gets obese and loses a few years off the back end likely felt like crap for his last few years anyway, carrying around a bloated gut, having joint and back pain, maybe suffering Type II diabetes complications, and looking like a land whale. No thanks.

Healthspan can be greatly extended if one wants to put in the work. Resistance training, good sleep, a decent diet of enjoyable foods...and a fifty year old can be in the shape of a 35 year old. A couple hours a week in the gym might add a decade or two of 'youth' in terms of fitness, mobility and overall health. Most people loved their younger years. Isn't it worth it to add another decade or two of youth?

For some, maybe it's too much work. Some might argue, "Yea, but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so why sweat in a gym and avoid cheesecake?"

As they say in Thailand: "Up to you"

I prefer playing the odds. So far it has worked. Zero ailments, zero medications, no ED, agile and mobile, precious little fat, lots of muscular definition, and the libido of a teen. There's a commercial in the US for some supplement where the tagline is: "She'll like it, too". Well, hit the gym and she'll like it. For those so inclined, there might be many "shes" who like it.

Life is good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It's a dilemma I face as well. I really do want to deposit a living will somewhere, but I never get sick, so I never get to see a doctor. I'm considering having a tattoo on my chest in Thai and English. "Not to be opened until after my death!'.

Perhaps keep it with your passport?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

A couple hours a week in the gym might add a decade or two of 'youth' in terms of fitness, mobility and overall health.

Untill 1985, I was spending each day 2 hours in the gym after work.

And a few times a week in the Sauna.

I had also many physical activities like Yoga.

I was very proud of my figure.

But end 1985 I suffered a stroke which left me disabled for a half year and partly disabled afterwards.

I was forbidden by the doctor to do any physical activity.

In a year time, i had a belly and could not do anything anymore.

NOT EVERYONE IS FAT OR HAS A BIG BELLY B3CAUSE THEY DON'T GO TO THE GYM.

I really hope that you get a stroke soon and go trough the same demise as many people.

Maybe you will learn to show respect for disabled people that way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I really hope that you get a stroke soon and go trough the same demise as many people.

Maybe you will learn to show respect for disabled people that way.

Thank you for your "generous and kind" thoughts.

Most people are not disabled. They're just lazy, or lack the discipline to avoid their vices..

That you are not the norm can engender some sympathy and understanding, but folks who beef and moan about their aches and pains, yet take no responsibility to improve their lifestyle, have no one to blame but themselves.

Most people can enjoy a much longer healthspan if they make the effort to improve their lifestyle. Yes, some people will suffer as you have, but for the majority who do not, their belly and their health are up to them.

Edited by Walker88
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Mick Jagger is 80. He's still prancing on the stage, still making babies, and undoubtedly still enjoying his half billion dollars. I think he still has many reasons to want to live.

Phil Collins is about my age and he can not perform anymore.

Last time I saw him on stage, some people helped him sit on a chair and he looked awful.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep, pick an end date if the quality of life deteriorates

My ex-wife was hospitalized again ar the beginning of the year and she was not able to breathe on her own (smoking abuse).

She was just 65 years old.

The last time she was in the hospital was barely 3 months ago and she signed a paper that she did not want to be kept alive trough machines.

She passed away peacefully after 5 days.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 2:57 AM, Pipi Olly said:

More and more people are paying the price of a life of anxiety and stress as they age. Being happy and relaxed is one of the most efficient way to remain in good health. Of course it ain't magic. Other factors come into play, especially genetics and your body's ability to manage all those toxic substances that the industrial world releases in the environment. But happy people with solid social networks usually live longer.

At the end of the day, we all die.

"Being happy and relaxed is one of the most efficient way to remain in good health. But happy people with solid social networks usually live longer.".... Well said and yes, genetics plays a big part. Keeping your mind active everyday is a must as well as physical activity. Look at many in the entertainment industry. Tony Bennett lived to something like 97. SO MANY rock and rollers still going strong at, or near age 80 like McCartney, Jagger and Richards. Take care of yourself, stay away from foolish people and be happy. That will gain you a lot of extra years.

22 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Agree.

Yes, smoking might cut a few years off the back end, but hacking and wheezing away for the smoker's last few years is worse than the last five years a non-smoker gets. Plus, smokers smell like (deleted) for their entire life.

Similarly, someone who gets obese and loses a few years off the back end likely felt like crap for his last few years anyway, carrying around a bloated gut, having joint and back pain, maybe suffering Type II diabetes complications, and looking like a land whale. No thanks.

Healthspan can be greatly extended if one wants to put in the work. Resistance training, good sleep, a decent diet of enjoyable foods...and a fifty year old can be in the shape of a 35 year old. A couple hours a week in the gym might add a decade or two of 'youth' in terms of fitness, mobility and overall health. Most people loved their younger years. Isn't it worth it to add another decade or two of youth?

For some, maybe it's too much work. Some might argue, "Yea, but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so why sweat in a gym and avoid cheesecake?"

As they say in Thailand: "Up to you"

I prefer playing the odds. So far it has worked. Zero ailments, zero medications, no ED, agile and mobile, precious little fat, lots of muscular definition, and the libido of a teen. There's a commercial in the US for some supplement where the tagline is: "She'll like it, too". Well, hit the gym and she'll like it. For those so inclined, there might be many "shes" who like it.

Life is good.

Could contain:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Confuscious said:

My ex-wife was hospitalized again ar the beginning of the year and she was not able to breathe on her own (smoking abuse).

She was just 65 years old.

The last time she was in the hospital was barely 3 months ago and she signed a paper that she did not want to be kept alive trough machines.

She passed away peacefully after 5 days.

Yeah when I get to the point of pain and suffering getting unbearable I will end it before anyone tries to get me into hospital.

3 months in ICU this year.... never again.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah when I get to the point of pain and suffering getting unbearable I will end it before anyone tries to get me into hospital.

3 months in ICU this year.... never again.

Belgium has legalised Euthanasy.
Thanksfully for her, she could legally made the choice to a life which was more as a burden as enjoyable.