Overstay

34 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I doubt she was spying for the authorities but sometimes, people are just curious or they ask for a work permit to activate internet banking that sort of thing.

That was in 2002; very unlikely that she wanted to suggest internet banking to me. Also, she could have asked me if I wanted it, even after I told her that I didn't.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There are people on record who have overstayed for years. I guess Immigration catches up when there is a brush with another arm of government, or a disgruntled neighbour dobs them in.

"... when there is a brush with another arm of government ..."

e.g. car / motorcycle accident, police are called by someone (maybe not you) police investigation uncovers overstay.

The person involved might be the safest driver in the world but there's a large %  of drivers on the roads everywhere who cause accidents, you can't control them.

Depending on where you are staying (somewhere with lots of foreigners so you do not stick out) and if no TM30 notification was made to show where you arte staying, Immigration may totally lose track of you, You will still need some luck to stay under the radar. If Immigration really want to find you, they can. They will only make a special effort during a crackdown.