2016 Tesla Model S Used as a Taxi Has Only 12% Battery Degradation After 310K Miles

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Latest car has a 82.5kWh LFP battery which is warrantied for 8 years - if the battery drops below 80% capacity in that time it will be replaced for free. The car also has 8 years of warranty and 8 years of 100% free servicing and breakdown cover.

sorry for asking, but I couldn't find it in the broschure.

is it 80% and not 70% ... like many other brands ... ?

Electric train users get goosebumps after listening to this. Rats chewed through the battery. Repair cost 600,000 baht.

https://www.khaosod.co.th/special-stories/news_7932411

Some Brands use Iron, aluminium, carbon fibre for their battery covers this brand uses plastic

this type of fault isn't covered by the warranty so owner either pays or claims from insurance

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

sorry for asking, but I couldn't find it in the broschure.

is it 80% and not 70% ... like many other brands ... ?

You could be right  - I seen online reviews saying 80% but I can't verify that information on the Thai official site. The Atto3 is quoted at 8 years/160,000 kilometers
SOH ≥70%

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Scots couple rage after being handed £17k bill from Tesla for 'driving in rain'

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-couple-rage-after-being-31194155

Maybe they have a different type or rain In Scotland compared to Thailand

I don’t think we’ve heard the whole story on that

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

If true, and if this becomes a norm not an extraordinary newsworthy anecdote, then the battery life may be a non issue. I saw an ad (I forget for which brand of EV) that offered a warranty of 8 years or 200,000 kms for the battery. Which is an extremely good sign. 

Being someone who always looks for the scam, I was trying to find out whether the warranty was transferable to another owner, suspecting that owners wealthy enough to buy EVs probably don't keep their cars for 8 years. 

The other trick maybe, are they still using the same type of battery technology and batteries that they were in 2016 EVs?

I have recently changed my car (to a petrol ICE) so it only has 4000 kms on it. My trusty diesel is 5 years old and has 90K. I don't think I will live long enough to be in the market for another car, but if I do, and this report is true and representative, I might have to admit I have been wrong about EVs.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Electric train users get goosebumps after listening to this. Rats chewed through the battery. Repair cost 600,000 baht.

https://www.khaosod.co.th/special-stories/news_7932411

Some Brands use Iron, aluminium, carbon fibre for their battery covers this brand uses plastic

this type of fault isn't covered by the warranty so owner either pays or claims from insurance

I have translated the article you posted and it makes no mention of the vehicle from which it comes. It does say that 99% of EV batteries do not have plastic covers.

sounds like a nonsense story to me

My battery is structural and is enclosed in Aluminum.

IMG_2335.jpeg.3c2fe644acda3e441e10b4784783a9c0.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Scots couple rage after being handed £17k bill from Tesla for 'driving in rain'

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-couple-rage-after-being-31194155

Maybe they have a different type or rain In Scotland compared to Thailand

This story is only a couple of weeks old. In other versions Tesla is reporting to be investigating the incident - maybe we can reserve passing judgment until we have all the facts (might be a challenge for some)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

This story is only a couple of weeks old. In other versions Tesla is reporting to be investigating the incident - maybe we can reserve passing judgment until we have all the facts (might be a challenge for some)

I suspect catastrophic battery failure is a lot less frequent than catastrophic ICE (engine) failure, it would be interesting to see some statistics on that.

I did have a catastrophic engine failure on a Honda NSX, supposedly one of the most bulletproof petrol engines in a supercar.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have translated the article you posted and it makes no mention of the vehicle from which it comes. It does say that 99% of EV batteries do not have plastic covers.

sounds like a nonsense story to me

My battery is structural and is enclosed in Aluminum.

IMG_2335.jpeg.3c2fe644acda3e441e10b4784783a9c0.jpeg

here is the facebook group page you can see the final total invoice B675,307.50

https://www.facebook.com/blinkdrive555

Yes 99% brands use non plastic battery cover even the brand that did you plastic covers changed to Aluminum for their latest model

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I must admit I though this thread would lead to an "enthusiastic discussion", oh well 😞 

It's not very interesting to be honest. I'd prefer to see something like a street race between American muscle cars and a stripped-out Tesla in Ludicrous mode.

Can you drum that up please? 😁

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 6:51 AM, Bandersnatch said:

The car has an 650km range and drives like a sports car. I am definitely “enthusiastic” about it. 

That's amazing ... with 600+ range, I could visit daughter in Krung Thep, and not even need to charge up during the round trip from PKK.  Only need 580 kms round trip.

Never gotten that range with my ICEVs here.  Unless you can't charge at home, that doesn't leave any reasons not to have an EV.  

Unless you actually need a truck.  Which  may be resolved next year, as a couple in the works, and would be nice if one made it to TH.  That would be a nice game changer from diesel, as most seem to be.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

BYD outsold Tesla nearly 10 to 1 last month in Thailand.

I see that trend continuing, I wouldn’t want to be holding Tesla shares now.

"In terms of total vehicles sold in Thailand, BYD has surpassed four smaller Japanese competitors, namely Nissan, Mitsubishi Motors, Mazda and Suzuki"

https://asiatimes.com/2023/10/byd-blowing-by-japan-for-thailands-ev-market/

The Japanese auto market is one of the fastest-growing major markets globally. In H1 2023, passenger car sales in Japan grew by 27% YoY, according to the latest research from Counterpoint’s Global Passenger Vehicle Model Sales Tracker. Toyota held the top position in the domestic market, boasting a 50% share, followed by Suzuki and the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi Alliance. Japanese auto OEMs, namely Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru, Mazda, and the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi Alliance, collectively accounted for more than 90% of passenger vehicle sales in the country. Japan is the second country, after the US, where Chinese automotive companies have failed to make significant inroads. In 2023, BYD Auto, a Chinese auto OEM introduced its Atto 3 EV model in the Japanese market and only managed to sell around 1,000 units. 

https://www.counterpointresearch.com/insights_category/press-releases/

25 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The Japanese auto market is one of the fastest-growing major markets globally. In H1 2023, passenger car sales in Japan grew by 27% YoY, according to the latest research from Counterpoint’s Global Passenger Vehicle Model Sales Tracker. Toyota held the top position in the domestic market, boasting a 50% share, followed by Suzuki and the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi Alliance. Japanese auto OEMs, namely Toyota, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru, Mazda, and the Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi Alliance, collectively accounted for more than 90% of passenger vehicle sales in the country. Japan is the second country, after the US, where Chinese automotive companies have failed to make significant inroads. In 2023, BYD Auto, a Chinese auto OEM introduced its Atto 3 EV model in the Japanese market and only managed to sell around 1,000 units. 

If it still existed, the British would be buying British Leyland cars, and then we would all be queuing at the bus stops when they broke down on days with a Y in them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

If it still existed, the British would be buying British Leyland cars, and then we would all be queuing at the bus stops when they broke down on days with a Y in them.

And yet British Leyland produced so many classic cars that are still sought after 60 years later

Jaguar E-type , Range Rover, Jaguar XJ6,Daimler Sovereign, Rover 3500, Morris Minor and the Mini

It will be interesting to see how many EV's built between 2010-2023 will still be on the road and sought after as classic cars in the year 2083

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And yet British Leyland produced so many classic cars that are still sought after 60 years later

Jaguar E-type , Range Rover, Jaguar XJ6,Daimler Sovereign, Rover 3500, Morris Minor and the Mini

It will be interesting to see how many EV's built between 2010-2023 will still be on the road and sought after as classic cars in the year 2083

I think it won’t be dissimilar, teenagers growing up around these things yearn for them in later life.

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The biggest car market in the world is China by comparison the Japanese market doesn't compare. 

Japanese Automakers Face Major Sales Crisis Nissan's sales fell by 45.8% in China last quarter while those at Honda and Mazda dropped by 38.2% and 66.5% respectively

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/05/japanese-automakers-struggle-in-china-as-local-ev-manufacturers-dominate-market/

China.jpg.9096f469fd6f9765776e8f27153ca1af.jpg

The World's Top-Selling Automakers, Ranked

Toyota Motor Corp. sold 10.48 million vehicles in 2022, keeping its title as the world's top-selling automaker for a third year.

https://www.carlogos.org/reviews/worlds-top-selling-automakers.html

Toyota has an important warning for electric vehicle enthusiasts

Despite major investments in EVs, automakers have been sounding the alarm.

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-vehicles/toyota-has-an-important-warning-for-electric-vehicle-enthusiasts

Edited by vinny41
add