Horrific Traffic Accident in Chonburi Results in One Fatality

webfact

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It wasn't clear - thats why your comment was misunderstood... 

Here's what I wrote:

"Amazing how easy it is to die on the roads here.

The accident didn't look that bad, especially for the turning rider. I assumed the one who died was the one going straight as he was moving so fast and therefore would gave hit the tarmac harder."

I still don't see your confusion.

This reads as: I am surprised the turning rider was the one who died cos I had assumed it was the other guy, due to the accident appearing worse for him.

I get that it requires slightly higher level reading comprehension skills, such as inferencing, and I took for granted that guys here would have secondary school reading skills.

It just seems so obvious to me.

The phrase "amazing how easy" in this context infers surprise. I also later described how her impact didn't seem as bad as the other guy's. 

And the past tense "assumed" clearly indicates a previous assumption.

Therefore, if I previously assumed the turning rider died, then obviously I must have reached the conclusion that the other person actually died, since there was only two people involved. 

I don't think this should really need explained to native speakers though.

• Confused 1

The girl may have tried to rush the turn because she was nervous about sitting in the middle of the road. I see many Thai's pull all the way over to the left and before crossing because they don't feel safe waiting in the right lane in the middle of the road, which is probably smart because people here are always going too fast and will swerve in to the other lane instead of slowing down and stopping. So much poor emotional control with the Thai people when they drive.

The guy was probably going too fast for the road given how many cars are turning across it. Not that it would be enforced but a much lower speed limit like 40 would probably be smart for those road conditions.

Another sad but predictable death on Thai roads.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A Thai girl did the same to me about a month ago on Soi Buakhao.  Made a turn right in front of me fortunately,  it was much slower speeds.  She had to pay at the police station lucky all I did was bang my knee

She didn't claim it was your fault for not stopping? I see so often people driving like if they get into the road this means they've won and now you must stop for them. The idea of road rules seems to be beyond these people.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why are you claiming the driver is a 'he'..... it wasn't stated in the story that the driver of the CRV was male or female.... so do you have link to back up that the driver of the CRV was male ?? (yes, I'm just being silly)....

While I have no proof - my bet is the driver of the CRV didn't stop.....   

You'd never draw an opinion of what you think may have happened without unequivocal proof, right ?

Too much, shaddap!

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Here's what I wrote:

"Amazing how easy it is to die on the roads here.

The accident didn't look that bad, especially for the turning rider. I assumed the one who died was the one going straight as he was moving so fast and therefore would gave hit the tarmac harder."

I still don't see your confusion.

This reads as: I am surprised the turning rider was the one who died cos I had assumed it was the other guy, due to the accident appearing worse for him.

I get that it requires slightly higher level reading comprehension skills, such as inferencing, and I took for granted that guys here would have secondary school reading skills.

It just seems so obvious to me.

The phrase "amazing how easy" in this context infers surprise. I also later described how her impact didn't seem as bad as the other guy's. 

And the past tense "assumed" clearly indicates a previous assumption.

Therefore, if I previously assumed the turning rider died, then obviously I must have reached the conclusion that the other person actually died, since there was only two people involved. 

I don't think this should really need explained to native speakers though.

You still going on too? Painful.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:09 PM, FruitPudding said:

Amazing how easy it is to die on the roads here.

The accident didn't look that bad, especially for the turning rider. I assumed the one who died was the one going straight as he was moving so fast and therefore would gave hit the tarmac harder.

If you had been on one of those bikes I'm sure it would "look that bad".

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

She didn't claim it was your fault for not stopping? I see so often people driving like if they get into the road this means they've won and now you must stop for them. The idea of road rules seems to be beyond these people.

The Thai style of driving is that you are responsible for what is in front.....only. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would "policing" have altered the outcome, or the instigation, of this accident?

Police can be a force for good.  They can reinforce good habits like wearing helmets and discourage bad like running red lights/speeding/drunk driving.  None of this takes place in Pattaya as can be seen by the daily death toll.  A proper police force could have a cumulative effect on safer driving.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

Police can be a force for good.  They can reinforce good habits like wearing helmets and discourage bad like running red lights/speeding/drunk driving.  None of this takes place in Pattaya as can be seen by the daily death toll.  A proper police force could have a cumulative effect on safer driving.

It is as if there are no Police. It is that bad!

Spot checks for tea money collection aside, and they are completely ineffective at enforcing the law. 

On 10/27/2023 at 5:50 PM, FruitPudding said:

One was female it was her that got T boned and it was HER that died.

I don't understand a lot of comments here, did they not read the full story, did they not watch the same vid as me????

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

One was female it was her that got T boned and it was HER that died.

I know that. 

I was expressing surprise that it was her because the accident looked worse for the other person.

If it wasn't evident from my first post, I went on to explain it twice (to 2 other members who can't infer meaning).

Now, 3rd time.

But you quoted one of my responses where I was clarifying what I meant. 

At least the other two were confused by my first post because they don't have inferencing skills, but you are confused by my clarification - which you quoted - and I was writing very clearly, grading my language down to elementary school level, lol

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't understand a lot of comments here, did they not read the full story, did they not watch the same vid as me????

Maybe they have a problem with reading comprehension, like you.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I know that. 

I was expressing surprise that it was her because the accident looked worse for the other person.

If it wasn't evident from my first post, I went on to explain it twice (to 2 other members who can't infer meaning).

Now, 3rd time.

But you quoted one of my responses where I was clarifying what I meant. 

At least the other two were confused by my first post because they don't have inferencing skills, but you are confused by my clarification - which you quoted - and I was writing very clearly, grading my language down to elementary school level, lol

Maybe they have a problem with reading comprehension, like you.

Without evidence-based and reasoned statements, successful inference is impossible.

Your written English composition skills are both lacking and the problem.